Packing moose: pack frames.

I have a Kifaru tactical frame and AMR bag that I’ve used for the last 3-4 years. No complaints with it all, love it for just about all my hunts, but when it comes to packing moose it’s not ideal. I usually take the first load of meat out in the bag then switch to a pack frame for hinds/fronts. I just can’t seem to get the Kifaru loaded without it shifting a bit when packing hinds, which can weigh 130+ pounds and are awkwardly large.

I was thinking of getting the Barney’s frame, but I can get the Eberlestock M1 carrier frame for much less than the Barney’s. Any reason why the Eberle won’t be as good as the Barney’s? I know Barney’s is top notch, but I also like saving money if it’s not a huge difference.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also get a Kelty Cachehauler. That is a great frame that would do well with a moose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This year we used my Bull Pac frame and my Stone Glacier to haul out my moose. The rears were too wide to fit in the load shelf on the SG so we packed them upside down which wasn't ideal as they flopped all over the place. Next time I won't use the load shelf, I'll just put them between the bag and frame and keep the big end down.

Used a Kelty, worked ok. Head and cape 147 lbs was the heaviest load I’ve ever carried and it sucked. It was hip crushing.

Nothing packs moose like a barney's pack. Anyone that uses them will vouge for them. The only thing I don't like about them is that it is hard to fit a quarter or neck in the bag, I did talk to Kevin about it at the store and he said that its hard to get it in but once it is in there it's in there good. The bag has been the same since they first started making frame packs, kinda cool for tradition sake but they could definitely update the bag.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve hauled moose hinds in an exo crib load panel attached to a kifaru tactical. Works like it was made for it. I keep it on there year round. Sandwiched between the bag and frame.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Used a Kelty, worked ok. Head and cape 147 lbs was the heaviest load I’ve ever carried and it sucked. It was hip crushing.
For me it was "knee" crushing.......bone on bone knee crushing. That was in the wee early hours of September 13th and my knees are still swollen and in pain.

Voyageur

WKR
I wanted a freighter frame in addition to my HPG Ute pack. I didn't really need the freighter, but I enjoy trying different packs and frame types. I ended up purchasing an Alpz Commander Lite for under $100. For the price I was impressed with the quality. No, it's not on par with my Ute (or any of the other higher end packs I own) but it will definitely get the job done...for me anyway. I should add the caveat that my days of long distance, loaded to the max packouts are a thing of the past.
I think someone in a previous post on this thread mentioned the Kelty Cache Hauler. I looked for that one, but it seems it is no longer in production?

OP
F
I used my kifaru tactical frame and AMR bag last year but that wasn’t ideal. The hinds as previously mentioned are just too wide to fit in the bag. I strapped them to the outside of the pack to the frame but it flopped around too much. It was fine for hauling trim meat in the bag, but not so much for bone in quarters.
We used cheaper aluminum pack frames with bungee chords this year and it worked the best for keeping the quarters secured with no flopping around. The issue I had was the frames we had were cheaper and not the most comfortable. I mean it’s never comfy packing hinds off a moose, but would like to find the best mouse trap. Thinking a high quality external frame would be best, like a Barney’s or maybe the Eberlestock F1 tall version.
I could see if taking the AMR bag off my tactical frame and strapping the quarters directly to the frame would work. That may be a reasonable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
For moose, nothing beats a Barney’s. The mass is just unreal. Some webbing straps and its solid. $289 is a smoking deal for the loads it hauls. I like my Eberlestock for a day pack, but I wouldn’t put a moose quarter in it if you paid me. Huge difference on shoulders