Packing out caribou

AKBorn

WKR
Great info on bone-in weights, and great photos Bambi!

I generally hunt with 1 hunt partner, and we typically don’t shoot 2 animals at once. So, we usually each take a bone-in hindquarter and a bone-in front quarter on the first load, along with all of the gear already in our pack (spotting scope, rain gear, bivy sack, food, water, etc). If the trek back to the ridgetop (or wherever the plane will come to pick up the animal) is more than ½ mile, we usually do shuttle runs – take the first load ¼ mile back toward camp, drop it and go back for the 2nd load, etc. Gives our legs and backs a break – I turned 58 this year, so I try to work smart and understand I can’t do the things I did at 40 (or can’t do them as easily). Some of my caribou packs below –

The first photo is from 2010 – shot this one about ½ mile below camp, so not a tough pack as the ground was pretty solid.

YeQzuL.jpg

The next photo is from 2014 – shot this one about 2 miles from the ridgetop where the plane would pick it up. This pack had it all – about ¼ mile of swampy ground, about ¼ mile of alders, a creek crossing, and about ½ mile climb up the ridge at the end of the pack. We were tired when we got this pack finished.

6Mj7gD.jpg

The last photo is from 2017. This one was also about 2 miles from the camp, but I shot him at the same approximate elevation as camp, and in relatively open ground – so it was 2 miles and 2 loads, but without the swampy ground, alders, creek crossings, and ½ mile climb at the end. Then again, I was 3 years older than in 2014, so we were still tired. 😊

KlB4jC.jpg

As multiple people have mentioned, it varies a lot based on time of year and herd. And terrain can play a role too.

I just packed out another one this weekend. With two of us, it was an easy single trip with bone in quarters and our gear. BUT that was an April (i.e. skinny) bull from the North Slope where they are typically smaller bodied to begin with.

The worst was an absolute big bodied beast of a 'bou out of the Alaska Range on Sept 1 a few years ago. He'd been stuffing his face on the same mountain all summer and was just rolling in fat and in prime condition. 2 guys x 2 trips x 2 miles was a very solid workout that afternoon.

The difference in muscle mass between those two animals was pretty extreme. Most will fall in the middle and are very packable by a three man crew.

mcseal

25 years ago, I put a whole boned out caribou in my pack and packed it about 3\4 mile on the tundra. One of the heaviest packs of my life, never again. I was in my early 20's and in stellar shape. the pack was a lowe, capacity over 6000 ci. yes it can be done, but why?

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I don't plan to take out a whole one myself. I just haven't ever hunted them before and was curious about how much weight or how many loads to figure. I like to know what I'm getting myself into before a hunt. Knowing the weight now I'll check the weather before we leave, the terrain when we arrive, and set my limits from there. When I got my moose a half mile through swamp with a moose quarter seemed equivalent to 2 miles of mountain with an elk quarter.

hodgeman

WKR
We've shot a trainload of caribou. Average bulls are 2 or 3 loads.... 3 guys can pack one out in one trip pretty easy. The biggest one I shot came out in 5 loads, but there was 18" of snow on the ground and we kept the loads smaller and the bull was considerably bigger than average.

3 guys can do it in one trip easily the point was mentioned early in this thread that it depends on your packload before you shoot the bull. This is a good point to consider when choosing a pack. It is nice to not have to unload your daily items or put bloody quarters on them. I use a Badlandz 2200 as my daypack and the quarters strap to the outside. Pretty convienent and the blood on my pack all stays external for easy clean up.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I'll either have my Exo 3500 or Kifaru Nomad 2. On the Exo the game bags of meat go between the frame and bag and on that trip I'll have the Exo dry bag liner in to keep all the gear in the main pocket protected. On the Kifaru it's a batwing set-up and I'll compress the meat in between the wings. Either way the blood should stay off my daily items.
I'm leaning toward the Exo at this point. The Kifaru is a great pack and handles really awkward loads like the moose quarters and ribs great. If I planned to pack the caribou out myself I'd take it. The Exo is lighter and flexes laterally much more. I think it will be less tiring to carry around on the tundra when I'm not packing meat. A friend going on the same hunt is borrowing my Kifaru this year, I'll see how he gets along and what he recommends.

After the moose hunt I tied my Kifaru in a tree in the yard before a major rain system set in and rubbed my hunting laundry detergent into it really heavily. 2 days and several inches of rain later it looked new again.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'll either have my Exo 3500 or Kifaru Nomad 2. On the Exo the game bags of meat go between the frame and bag and on that trip I'll have the Exo dry bag liner in to keep all the gear in the main pocket protected. On the Kifaru it's a batwing set-up and I'll compress the meat in between the wings. Either way the blood should stay off my daily items.
I'm leaning toward the Exo at this point. The Kifaru is a great pack and handles really awkward loads like the moose quarters and ribs great. If I planned to pack the caribou out myself I'd take it. The Exo is lighter and flexes laterally much more. I think it will be less tiring to carry around on the tundra when I'm not packing meat. A friend going on the same hunt is borrowing my Kifaru this year, I'll see how he gets along and what he recommends.

After the moose hunt I tied my Kifaru in a tree in the yard before a major rain system set in and rubbed my hunting laundry detergent into it really heavily. 2 days and several inches of rain later it looked new again.

I got my kifaru fulcrum absolutely soaked in blood, I have the first generation version so no meat shelf, I had my gear in the wing pockets and made a few trips carrying meat in the main bag. That was pretty lame but it was the only bag I had.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I bought the Kifaru Nomad specifically for Alaska but use it other places too. I prefer the Exo for hunting but take the Kifaru as far as a vehicle goes when hunting elk or bigger game. I plan to use the Exo as my hunting pack and to take the first load out, then pack the rest with the Kifaru. The Exo works fine also, the layout of the Kifaru is just handier for packing meat. Load the batwing pockets with water bottles, headlamp, whatever else is needed and put the meat in between them for pack-outs. It's easier to carry that extra stuff with than the Exo/Crib with the bag removed. The Exo and Kifaru both handled 80lb+ loads well for me training. I give the advantage to the Kifaru with that much weight mainly due to the hip belt. I find it easier to get the Kifaru really tight and take the weight off my hips with.

Teamkabob is borrowing my Kifaru for his caribou hunt this fall. He was out here turkey hunting and had his blind, chair, and decoys all between the wings. It does excel at bulky loads. On my moose hunt I figured if we had to pack the raft and motor across land to another slough or lake I'd be glad to have it.

I don't mind getting my gear dirty or bloody, I get it to use. I would prefer not to smell to tasty to a bear while on a hunt though!

VernAK

WKR
I'm an old phardt and not up to speed on the latest packs but my aluminum frame packs still work well for me, especially when it come to hauling meat. The other aspect I like is standing the frame upright for a shooting rest when sitting on a tundra hummock.

Labdad

FNG
I'm an old phardt and not up to speed on the latest packs but my aluminum frame packs still work well for me, especially when it come to hauling meat. The other aspect I like is standing the frame upright for a shooting rest when sitting on a tundra hummock.

Laughing too.
My ole Cabela's aluminium frames are cobbled together and reinforced with paracord, but they would still work