Packing tent in backpack.

mww982

WKR
For you guys that carry a lightweight tent, do you keep it in the factory stuff sack or something else? I have a mountain star 2p tent and contemplating packing it into a XL Kifaru instead of the factory stuff sack. The other option is using the factory stuff sack and putting it in the side pocket of my Exo pack.

I had a light weight 2 person fly creek tent that packed well strapped to the side and in that sode pocket of my exo. But that was in open country where i wasnt worried about poking holes in it. That was everything in the factory bag strapped to the side

Last edited:
So what is the reason for taking it out of the factory bag? Seem to be overthinking it. Maybe I'm just not getting it? I just throw mine in the main compartment of my KUIU. Layers in nicely with my kill kit, sleeping bag, and food. My tent doesn't pack all that small (it's light though). My pack is decently sized at 6000 ci.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
So what is the reason for taking it out of the factory bag? Seem to be overthinking it. Maybe I'm just not getting it? I just throw mine in the main compartment of my KUIU. Layers in nicely with my kill kit, sleeping bag, and food. My tent doesn't pack all that small (it's light though). My pack is decently sized at 6000 ci.
It's the length of the factory stuff sack that I don't particularly care for but it fits nicely in the side pocket of my pack. More than anything was just curious on what others do and seeing if I could be more efficient with it.

I’ve shoved mine into the long side pocket on the exo4800 without a stuffsack. No need for the stuff sack imo.

don't knowe about your pack specifically - but i remove poles and stakes and put tent, fly, and footprint in compression sack and smoosh it really good. load into 60 L rei bag that goes on frame pack.

WKR
I like to stuff mine in the bottom of my main compartment outside my bag liner so it doesn't get anything else wet. I leave the stuff sack at home.

Storing a tent in the factory sack nearly folded and then wrapped around the collapsed poles keeps everything neat and tidy, but stuffing components into compression sack(s) will lead to a smaller package oftentimes.

xcutter

WKR
I don't put my Tarptent Double Rainbow in it's stuff sack. I put in one of the long side pockets of my Kifaru 44 mag pack. Fits perfect. I try to not take any extra weight like extra stuff sacks that items come with.

Marble

WKR
I don't strap anything to the outside of my pack. Everything goes on the inside.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gapmaster

WKR
For you guys that carry a lightweight tent, do you keep it in the factory stuff sack or something else? I have a mountain star 2p tent and contemplating packing it into a XL Kifaru instead of the factory stuff sack. The other option is using the factory stuff sack and putting it in the side pocket of my Exo pack.
I have a Tarptent Moment DW, pretty small but I leave it in factory stuff and keep it in side stretch pocket on my Exo. Easier to just pull it out at dark and throw it up vs having a ‘yard sale’ every evening.

Jbxl20

WKR
Tent gets jammed in the main bag, the poles are in the side pocket.

dtrkyman

WKR
Mine rides under the lid on top of main bag on my KUIU 5200.

In original stuff sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk