Packing the bags up for first Alaska moose float

Getting all my stuff packed up for my first Alaska moose float trip. I did a caribou drop camp north of the Brooks 4 years ago and have been dreaming of a moose float ever since. Will be my dad and I on a DIY trip, planning on staying out in the field for 14 days or until we get a bull. We are only going in with one license as we don't really need to kill 2 bull moose and feel it will be challenging enough to deal with proper meat care of one big bull. The trip has been over 2 years in the making with untold hours of physical training, shooting, gear research, etc..
I do a lot of turkey hunting in the southeast so calling and sitting still for long periods of time while being swarmed by mosquitoes is something I'm accustomed to. That being said
I have spent a lot of time practicing and researching best moose calling techniques and times/dates. We are hunting southwest Alaska and have heard the typical dates when bulls start responding to calling is around sept 10-13 (weather depending). We will be going in on sept 4th and hunting on the 5th. Was wondering what the experienced moose callers prefer to do in "early season" sept 5-10 regarding calling. I've heard brush raking and soft short cow calls early in the morning and closer to dark can peak a bulls interest before they are super aggressive and to avoid long cow calls and bull grunting. Was wondering everyones thoughts. Thank you, will do a trip recap when I get back

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you have done your preparation work, sir. Given your put-in date, being conservative in your calling practice during the early part of your hunt is what I would do as well, i.e., primarily scraping as opposed to grunts and cow calls.

That said, every year the rut progression may differ slightly or a lot depending upon wx and location, i.e., relatively hot temps are typically a deal killer, while freezes at nite tend to advance the rut. It's all about getting a feel for the area that you are hunting, but that will be different to some degree because you will be float hunting and moving every day. I've done several pack-raft floats, and will be doing a hundred mile fly-fishing and grizzly/caribou float with my son at the same time of your hunt, but I've not float hunted for moose.

I'll be drop moose hunting in western AK the last two weeks of September, which is my preferred time. I primarily do cow calls at that time of the month, but not always. There are times that I have started with scraping because the wx simply had not been cooperative and the rut was delayed.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun sir.

OP
H
Sounds like you have done your preparation work, sir. Given your put-in date, being conservative in your calling practice during the early part of your hunt is what I would do as well, i.e., primarily scraping as opposed to grunts and cow calls.

That said, every year the rut progression may differ slightly or a lot depending upon wx and location, i.e., relatively hot temps are typically a deal killer, while freezes at nite tend to advance the rut. It's all about getting a feel for the area that you are hunting, but that will be different to some degree because you will be float hunting and moving every day. I've done several pack-raft floats, and will be doing a hundred mile fly-fishing and grizzly/caribou float with my son at the same time of your hunt, but I've not float hunted for moose.

I'll be drop moose hunting in western AK the last two weeks of September, which is my preferred time. I primarily do cow calls at that time of the month, but not always. There are times that I have started with scraping because the wx simply had not been cooperative and the rut was delayed.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun sir.

Thanks for the feedback AKDoc, that is inline with what Ive heard. Im planning on using the float as more of a mobile drop camp than actually floating every day. Everthing Ive read says sometimes it can take a bull 2-3 days to finally make his way over to you and I don't want to spend all my time loading and unloading camp versus hunting. Plan is to call and hang out in one spot for 2-3 days then if no action pack up and float on. Will definitely take you advise on the calling

Johnboy

WKR
I'm heading into the Brooks on 9/10 for round #2 of float hunting for moose. I'm quickly slipping into a state of uselessness here at work. September can't get here soon enough.

Good luck to you, sir!

OP
H
I'm heading into the Brooks on 9/10 for round #2 of float hunting for moose. I'm quickly slipping into a state of uselessness here at work. September can't get here soon enough.

Good luck to you, sir!

Haha yes uselessness syndrome is setting in hard. Good luck!

Like you Hornchaser, I'll be going on my first moose float this September as well, after 2 years of research and planning. I'll be hunting the 7-21 (dropped off on the 6th and picked up on the 21st). 5 weeks to go, the uselessness is coming on strong.

tntrker

WKR
good luck guys! Glad your getting to do what ALOT of us will only read about. Stories and pics please when you get back! ENJOY!!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the feedback AKDoc, that is inline with what Ive heard. Im planning on using the float as more of a mobile drop camp than actually floating every day. Everthing Ive read says sometimes it can take a bull 2-3 days to finally make his way over to you and I don't want to spend all my time loading and unloading camp versus hunting. Plan is to call and hang out in one spot for 2-3 days then if no action pack up and float on. Will definitely take you advise on the calling

I like your game plan. I didn't know the distance you had to cover between put-in/take-out in the time allowance you have...sounds like you can take your time, which is great.

I've had numerous times when I watched a bull come directly to me within an hour of cow calling from over a mile away. A couple years ago I had two bulls several hundred yards apart that were over a mile out almost racing to be first. On the flip side, I've had it take a couple days for a bull with a cow to slowly work his way around a lake to get to me. Every year is different!

One suggestion, which strays from your op, try to be very mindful of the ground around you. Specifically, I'm talking about dry ground versus shallow water and wet/soggy ground. Being river based, the ground around you will likely vary greatly. Make sure you drop that guy on dry ground. Field dressing, bagging, and transporting a moose back to camp is a major undertaking. The meat is absolutely wonderful, and definitely not something you want to be doing in standing water or muskeg muck. I've passed on a few really big guys because they were in no-man's land.

Are you taking a z-drag set-up or block and tackle with you just in case...assuming you have something solid in the needed location to anchor, which is not always the case.

Last edited:
OP
H
I like your game plan. I didn't know the distance you had to cover between put-in/take-out in the time allowance you have...sounds like you can take your time, which is great.

I've had numerous times when I watched a bull come directly to me within an hour of cow calling from over a mile away. A couple years ago I had two bulls several hundred yards apart that were over a mile out almost racing to be first. On the flip side, I've had it take a couple days for a bull with a cow to slowly work his way around a lake to get to me. Every year is different!

One suggestion, which strays from your op, try to be very mindful of the ground around you. Specifically, I'm talking about dry ground versus shallow water and wet/soggy ground. Being river based, the ground around you will likely vary greatly. Make sure you drop that guy on dry ground. Field dressing, bagging, and transporting a moose back to camp is a major undertaking. The meat is absolutely wonderful, and definitely not something you want to be doing in standing water or muskeg muck. I've passed on a few really big guys because they were in no-man's land.

Are you taking a z-drag set-up or block and tackle with you just in case...assuming you have something solid in the needed location to anchor, which is not always the case.

Our float will be around 60 river miles total. I had my pilot give me the number of a guy who floated the same river with him the year before which has been a wealth of information. (the guy did not harvest a bull but said he had opportunities and would do the same float again in a heartbeat, so thats promising). I picked a float over a drop camp mostly because Im taking my 64 year old father whose in fairly good shape but is 64... plan is to rely on calling a Bull to the edge of the river and putting him down on the gravel bar. Im 34 and in good shape but I know the limitations of packing a bull moose out with just me and my dad are substantial. The last thing I want is spoilage issues or bear problems because I cant extract the bull in a decent time frame. I know the urge to shoot is gonna be real high if I see a big bull but gonna have to carefully assess everything

Beendare

WKR
you want to use the true Alaskan technique; Bring a lawn chair and call your ass off from camp...

I'm not joking..... it works. Tromp all around and a bull might smell you coming in and spook [you have seen a moose's nose eh- /grin]

Of course it depends on where you are, weather and timing as to your strategy....but you asked!