Packing with llamas

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
They sure seem like they learn quick. Well done, thats got to feel really good having some packers that are good to go. How'd the one get loose? I had one get loose in the yard once while he was staked out, the stake out lead just came unsnapped from his halter, I know the fix but I think it was just a total fluke.
They have learned quick, but I also have spent a ton of time with them, working all of their bugs out before the trip even started. It feels really good having packers ready to go, in 2 weeks we are going on another 4 day trip after elk and deer. The bottom of my leads have panic snaps and since they were low lined I think he may have just stepped on it just right to pop it off, since I make most of my own llama pack gear I am headed out to buy some locking carabiners instead of panic snaps. All in all it was a great trip but sadly no deer were harmed in the making of that trip maybe next. I've got a big buck milling around the farm that would be easy enough to get and he's definitely taxidermy worthy but I just cant bring myself to shoot a field buck.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
20201007_113114.jpg20201007_190945.jpg20201008_082331.jpg
Finally got to use the llamas on a meat pack out, naturally I wish that it would have been bigger but it was pretty neat. I got to christen a new rifle that's lights out and christen the llamas on what I have them for. It was a great time with a good friend that sadly we dont get to hunt together nearly enough.

wyodan

WKR
I've found them to be quite a bit more odd than dog or horse people.

I had a great weekend with my boys, they're not learning super fast but its slow and steady.
It's been my experience as well that llama folks are mighty weird for the most part.

I am curious if anyone not in the Southern Hemisphere has actually harvested a packer after they have determined its packing days are over? Can’t be much different then an old horse or goat, maybe more like hay fed elk.
One of mine had a really bad high back leg break that the vet said she could not splint or would ever heal correctly. After mulling our options we had it butchered at a local game processer. Excellent pasture raised hay-fed meat that is indeed very similar to lamb. Whenever I prepare a meal with it though I have to tell people it's Elk or Beef because there is apparently a stigma of eating llama. The other options of disposal also really sucked. Euthanize and pay a disposal fee. Euthanize and have to legally bury 4 feet deep to keep predators from eating the now toxic meat. Take him into the woods and shoot him for the scavengers. I would have done him in myself and butchered at home like we do our wild game but, he was kind of a companion and a solid pack animal that I shared many trail miles with.

chindits

WKR
Understood, and I don’t mean to sound crass. Just can’t justify keeping hay burners if they’re not packers. At least he wasn’t wasted. Thanks for the honest testimonial.

bisblue

WKR
I've got a friend who grew up in Bolivia and loves llama meat. He's 84 now and we joked when we left my husky older llama in the trailer after packing an elk he was going to get scared straight by being started at by hungry Jorge all day! While the young llamas packed out camp

WKR
One of mine had a really bad high back leg break that the vet said she could not splint or would ever heal correctly. After mulling our options we had it butchered at a local game processer. Excellent pasture raised hay-fed meat that is indeed very similar to lamb. Whenever I prepare a meal with it though I have to tell people it's Elk or Beef because there is apparently a stigma of eating llama. The other options of disposal also really sucked. Euthanize and pay a disposal fee. Euthanize and have to legally bury 4 feet deep to keep predators from eating the now toxic meat. Take him into the woods and shoot him for the scavengers. I would have done him in myself and butchered at home like we do our wild game but, he was kind of a companion and a solid pack animal that I shared many trail miles with.
I've eaten llama and it was good. But I couldn't eat my buddy I just put down. But he was also old and nasty.
There is a lady here who composts "pets" that my vet heard about.
I was expecting some horrific crime scene looking place or a gnarly pit of stink but it was incredibly clean and organized and she could tell you exactly what was under each pile of wood chips. Well fenced. Charged me 75 for her services. Felt better that butchering him so he fit into the incinerator at the dog morgue or tossing his carcass into the landfill (which they were surprisingly ok with). Way too rocky on my property to dig a proper hole with out starting 5 others first.

She said it's becoming a thing these days and she does classes and is actually helping the county set up it's own facility to do it.

I do have one of my 3 left that I'd probably enjoy eating, he's an asshole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I had no idea composting was an option.

I do have one of my 3 left that I'd probably enjoy eating, he's an asshole.

Haha it's tough to do. Ours was young and in his prime too. I got over it pretty quick though. Here are some of the Llama Ribs I smoked.6174.jpeg

Reactions: 406

Zackcarp

FNG
Blue, any updates on your stock? I'm picking up some llamas at the beginning of the year. Curious how your saddles are working and if you did any redesigning?

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Well I sold em, still kind of kicking myself for it. But the wife wanted a horse and I wanted a mule so she surprised me on my birthday with a mule. I'm gonna sell and lose my ass on, he needs an experienced person to ride and handle him, my wife is not an experienced person with stock so I'm the only one that rides him.

Zackcarp

FNG
Oh wow. I grew up with mules and work with horses professionally. The logistics just seem better for llamas for me. My brother tried to talk me out of llamas for mules, but man they are expensive to keep unless you've got a lot of pasture. Good luck on your new adventure.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
The llamas definitely are considerably cheaper to feed, take less water, fit more in a trailer. The llamas are a lot of fun and no matter what they do to you, you never get so hurt you cant get out. Plenty of pros and cons on both sides.

Packing when riding llamas is a must cuz you look ******* silly and people will make fun of you.

w0ir5g4v7cj11.jpg

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
@weatherbow21 could you detail out your low line? maybe with pictures too? thanks! I was just planning on packing a stake for each animal, but that looks like a better idea in most areas.
Also, I had thought you could start with saddles and light weight (10-30 lbs) at about 2 yrs old. more training and conditioning than actual work. And then maybe 40-50 at 3? I am a llama owner of all of about 2 months, so I don't know, and good information is hard to source. thanks!tempImageVxpvz1.jpg

bisblue

WKR
I got lucky enough to have a mentor who gave me tons of books tack etc. I think this book is my favorite so far although I feel like the amount of weight they're packing by body weight percentage both for young and older llamas has come down a little bit since this book was written.

Wapiti23

FNG
I’ve been drumming over the idea of getting started with llamas. One question I have considering that I live in ND is do they need to be altitude conditioned? I’m sure they would for the most part but wondering if anyone knows anything about that.

Explorer

FNG
I think it is best to have fit well conditioned animals no matter the species. This will make your hunt more productive and you will be able to do more with less chance of injury. If you are not working animals throughout the year, they probably won't be well trained and you will have other problems too.
That being said, ours stay around 500ft most of the year. We try to hike with them 2 or 3 times a week with weight starting about 3 months before our trip. When we hunt we spend the first night around 7k ft then spend the rest of the time around 9k to 11500ft. I think spending the first night mid elivation helps them and us acclimate. This year we were only able to hike once a week the month prior and they did fine. Generally they seem to do really well, and better than us. Even spending a lot of time around 11500ft I have only seen them get a little winded a couple times. Llamas came from areas of 14kft and they are better at processing oxygen at high altitudes.
So, yes you can take them from low altitude to high, just do some conditioning and don't go straight to 12k the first day and they should be fine.

I think it is best to have fit well conditioned animals no matter the species. This will make your hunt more productive and you will be able to do more with less chance of injury. If you are not working animals throughout the year, they probably won't be well trained and you will have other problems too.
You really can't stress this enough with smaller pack animals. With a horse/mule you have slightly more conditioning leeway just because of their sheer size, but the smaller you get, the more the conditioning becomes a important factor. Also all the desentizatation and trust that is built during the actual training process is golden.

I wouldn't worry about elevation. If your animals are in shape, you'll be sucking wind as much as they will and it turns out pretty even.

bisblue

WKR
I got lucky enough to have a mentor who gave me tons of books tack etc. I think this book is my favorite so far although I feel like the amount of weight they're packing by body weight percentage both for young and older llamas has come down a little bit since this book was written.

Edit, I wouldn't used his weight packing numbers based on body weight, folks have gotten more conservative since this was written.
@weatherbow21 could you detail out your low line? maybe with pictures too? thanks! I was just planning on packing a stake for each animal, but that looks like a better idea in most areas.
Also, I had thought you could start with saddles and light weight (10-30 lbs) at about 2 yrs old. more training and conditioning than actual work. And then maybe 40-50 at 3? I am a llama owner of all of about 2 months, so I don't know, and good information is hard to source. thanks!
I use flat webbing from rock climbing, I used to be a guide and had tons. I've liked the orange screws (plastic) I found at sportsmen's warehouse. These are good cheap non climbing carabineers. I just tie an overhand knot where I want them to be and adjust as necessary. If you are somewhere with meadows it's great, otherwise I bring a second piece of old climbing rope for the tie out. I have taught mine to be tied to trees just in case I'm somewhere really rocky.

Since I was a climbing guide I don't most of my friends know something about climbing all my lead lines just have no knot on one end. Then as I'm hiking I just do an figure eight on a bight that I adjust for the right length in the string, then I can use that lead line to time around a tree or use whatever knot I deem necessary for that time.

I do really like the bull snaps for the end that goes on to the llama halter.

I would definitely agree 100% on the fitness level being based on their training. I lend mine out to friends just because I have small kids and don't get to put the miles on them I want to. I also get to volunteer mine at work with the Forest Service so that bumps their mileage up a little bit for trail projects.