Packing with llamas

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I've found them to be quite a bit more odd than dog or horse people.

I would have to agree.

Looks good, some of them definitely learn quicker than others. How are they liking the low line? It's pretty convenient.

Also great choice on the osprey, I have been packing my son around in one for 2 years, probably have another 2 to go. They're pretty comfortable.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
The low line works perfect, I've been staking them out with a couple difference length lines but I really like this, no problems at all. I need to tie it as a high line and let them try that next

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I really like them and rock sacks. Also when you set that high line, make sure that it is ridiculously tight and lock the half hitch.

chindits

WKR
So blueticker, what did you do with the llama with fallen pasterns?

I am curious if anyone not in the Southern Hemisphere has actually harvested a packer after they have determined its packing days are over? Can’t be much different then an old horse or goat, maybe more like hay fed elk.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
So blueticker, what did you do with the llama with fallen pasterns?

I am getting pretty soft as I age, she is taking Phenylbutazone and eating hay in my corrals. But on a side note could you imagine the size of crockpot you would need for a neck roast.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I do know of a family that fell on hard times for a bit and ate a few that they had, they actually enjoyed the meat said that it tasted pretty close to goat. They said it was a hell of a lot better than food stamps would have been, they are very proud and wont take help, and llamas were all they had in the form of livestock and they got them through to the hunting season.

I would try it, I am a fat kid and a survivor. My family on the other hand is a touch more picky than I when it comes to where you draw the line on food, well except my little guy he will eat damn near anything.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
That is basically what I use, but I just made my own. I also made my own saddles as well, they are sawbuck style, but I have made another design that I am putting through its paces right now to see how they hold up.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know blue. If I ever take the jump, I don’t want to be burdened with a welfare critter like 97% of the horses in this county.

Horse don't taste to bad from what I understand, and a hell of a lot more meat than a llama.

rayporter

WKR
native Americans claimed to prefer white mule over horse, but they were not too choosey. they would slit the throat on either for a meal..

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Why are we obsessing over eating llamas? :LOL: (I'm kidding)

I'd never eat a llama, I suppose in a real survival situation though... I've heard they aren't bad

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder what the difference between the colors make on the meat?

I'd eat a llama if I had too.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Why are we obsessing over eating llamas? :LOL: (I'm kidding)

I know you're just heckling ol squirrel, but he has been a lot of help in my journey into llamas. He has given me advice and his opinions, plus some other contacts. He has also been more than willing to pick up the phone and have a conversation and answer all of my stupid questions without acting like an arrogant jerk. He has been doing this a long time and is full of advice and willing to help. So there's my rant for the day.

And to get back on topic now that we've been derailed talking about edible beasts I am headed out in 3 days to go chase some edible beasts of my own I'm taking 2 llamas, it will be their first hunting excursion. I am pretty excited hopefully I can give them a workout.

OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
20200922_162428.jpg20200922_163243.jpg20200922_165651.jpg20200922_171058.jpg20200922_174727.jpg20200922_193228.jpg20200923_101208.jpg20200923_101227.jpg
Well 23 miles total, thank god we packed in water, Seen a total of 41 deer not one buck in sight. The llamas done great and we didn't have any wrecks so to speak, we did have one llama get loose but it stayed at camp and waited for us to get back from the daily hunt so we got lucky. We did have a llama get tangled up once but essentially it was pretty uneventful and turned out to be a beautiful walk in the woods with a front stuffer. I was amazed at how well they done especially the one that I trained from scratch, she done excellent way better than expected. I was kind of nervous about not having orange neck collars but it turned out fine, we didn't see another hunter the whole trip.

Attachments

• 20200922_162428.jpg
    20200922_162428.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
Blueticker1

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
20200924_135636.jpg
Also today was this fellers 1st day with the panniers, he was only carrying about 25 pounds. He done surprisingly better than I had expected, still a little rough to hang panniers on and take them off.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
They sure seem like they learn quick. Well done, thats got to feel really good having some packers that are good to go. How'd the one get loose? I had one get loose in the yard once while he was staked out, the stake out lead just came unsnapped from his halter, I know the fix but I think it was just a total fluke.