Packraft alternative maybe?

robtattoo

WKR
I have no idea about this kinda thing, but I just saw this on my IG feed & thought it looked like a kinda cool possible alternative?
I have no comparative specs & no clue what a packraft weighs, carries or costs so feel free to kick away!
I have no affiliation, just posting because I thought it was cool. Probably useless, but cool nonetheless! $299 with the Kickstarter thingy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Packrafts can be had all the way down to about 3lbs or so

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ChrisF

FNG
Looks like it would be a lot of fun to pull out of the car trunk and use. It probably tracks much better than a packraft too. I'd be skeptical of the longevity of those plastic creases, and carrying a packraft is much lighter.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Oru is the brand that got foldable kayaks and canoes more mainstream, this looks like a much cheaper and less-featured version of those. They're great for people with limited space (apartments) or small vehicles (sedans or CUV's) who want some sort of watercraft for a weekend camping by the lake. They certainly track better than packrafts on stillwater, and this brand is definitely cheaper, but it's not something I'd want to bring hunting.

For reference, a decent packraft will carry 500lbs+, weigh ~5-10lbs, and pack down to 14L. It'll carry you, your pack, and an animal pretty easily, and you can still fit it in your pack for a hike. The foldable only carries 350lbs, weighs almost 30lbs, and packs down to anywhere from 35L to 60L (hard to tell since they only provide packed LxW and not LxWxD). You'd probably have to do a couple trips for a large animal, and there's no way you're hauling it into the backcountry.

I could see it working if you want to set up a base on a lake shore near your vehicle and just use the foldable to spike out to other parts of the lake.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Oru is the brand that got foldable kayaks and canoes more mainstream, this looks like a much cheaper and less-featured version of those. They're great for people with limited space (apartments) or small vehicles (sedans or CUV's) who want some sort of watercraft for a weekend camping by the lake. They certainly track better than packrafts on stillwater, and this brand is definitely cheaper, but it's not something I'd want to bring hunting.

For reference, a decent packraft will carry 500lbs+, weigh ~5-10lbs, and pack down to 14L. It'll carry you, your pack, and an animal pretty easily, and you can still fit it in your pack for a hike. The foldable only carries 350lbs, weighs almost 30lbs, and packs down to anywhere from 35L to 60L (hard to tell since they only provide packed LxW and not LxWxD). You'd probably have to do a couple trips for a large animal, and there's no way you're hauling it into the backcountry.

I could see it working if you want to set up a base on a lake shore near your vehicle and just use the foldable to spike out to other parts of the lake.

those oru things are ok for dunking around in small lakes, I’d never use one anywhere there might be a current or any sort of waves. I’ve seen them fold up, they are basicically made out of plastic cardboard like those plastic usps bins. Packrafts are much better.