Packraft Seating Height

Rokwiia

WKR
I've decided to get one of the models from Alpacka for fishing in flatwater. I don’t want to sit low in the packraft and the only two models that have a high-elevated seat are the Oryx and Forager. I’d buy either in a second but most of the time I’ll be backpacking it into a remote location by myself and both are fairly heavy.

Lighter models, such as the Mule and Explorere42, have a substantially lower inflatable seat on the bottom of the packraft. That makes casting a pain in the neck. Has any tried to jerry rig a seating arrangement, or purchased an after-market inflatable seat, that will get you elevated to the top-of-the-tube height like the Oryx and Forager?

As you can see in the opening few seconds of the next two videos, the Oryx has seats at perfect height I'm looking for contrasted with how low you sit in the Mule. I’d like to be able to duplicate the higher seating arrangement in a smaller model such as the Mule or Explorer 42.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It’s not that hard to add attachment points to your boat. I have a Mule and I added 5 tie down points with Clifton adhesive.
You could add D-ring tie downs and then make a seat out of webbing.
Also, depending on the boat and your size you may be able to sit up on the stern. My buddy paddles his boat from the stern on flat water.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Have you asked Alpacka? They were great about answering my questions before I ordered my Mule. I've got to think they'd be willing to work with you on how to fit an Oryx/Forager style seat to a Mule or 42.