Packrafting......Upstream?

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I have zero experience with packrafts but I'm thinking about using one to access a piece of landlocked BLM. For access I would need to go about a mile upstream in a medium size river at (low) fall flow.

Raft in question would be Alpacka Caribou.

Does that sound feasible to those of you with experience? I've only ever heard of using them to float down a river.........

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
That really depends on exactly what kind of medium sized river you're talking about. Might make more sense to wade the banks while towing your gear in the pack raft, then use the raft to cross when you get to a high or deep bank that you can't wade past.

So, I have been in one form or another a whitewater raft and kayaking guide since ‘96.
Also a hunting guide since 2009.
Without knowing exactly which river you are talking about, I cannot help other than a general answer, but I would be happy to help you put a plan together if you want to PM me.
I would generally say you have 2 options:
- Pack the packraft on the land up to your spot and then only use it to descend the river back to you truck. (Much Preffered option)
- if you need to cross private land (which is what your description of “landlocked” means), you could do so by paddling up stream. What are the water laws in your state? Is water a public domain?
If so, a hard shell kayak will be much more proficient in attaining progress up stream. But, it will need lots of practice for you be able to control effectively.

Again, I’m happy to help and I won’t tell secrets. That is what also has helped me to be a bartender for 20 years. I’m good at keeping people’s issues/drama they drunkenly tell me in the “the vault”!
I do like your style considering access.

Just remember that each river is like a different woman. They all have different courses, and each look very different on any given day considering the the amount of “juice” running through them. Just hope they aren’t at flood stage!

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys!

At this point I'm thinking I will pick up the raft regardless of whether it will work for accessing this spot or not. In researching this I've come up with way too many other uses and trips I'd like to make not to buy one now. I need another expensive hobby like a hole in the head but oh well!

Couple more things about the spot:

I can't walk the bank or wade in the water. Floating is required in order to avoid tresspassing.

I will need to pack the raft in a couple miles on a different piece of public, put it in the river and then paddle up (through private) to the piece I want to access. This makes using a regular kayak or canoe a non starter.

The water flow is the major wildcard. I've hunted the area twice but haven't paid much attention to the river. Google earth shows anything from 100yd wide river to a narrow band of water with pools.

I have several other spots to hunt if I can't get in this one. Thinking I will have the raft and gear to do it and if I get there and it's a no go I'll just hunt m uh other spots.

I'd give the river/state but pretty sure that would give the spot away.

Okhotnik

WKR
I’ve done on lakes and rivers with a canoe. I’ve used an electric trolling motor to help push my canoe up a river to hunt land locked lands and islands where deer bed

If you manage to get an animal a canoe works much better that a pack raft or kayak imo

Oops just saw have to pack it in a few miles

Inflatable kayak might be option too

Pack it in and pump it up

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, kayak would definitely paddle better but from what I've seen they are much heavier (20lb+) and have lighter weight capacity.

Jimss

WKR
I would venture a guess that a packraft would be super tough to paddle for any length of distance against the current. A mile stretch would be an incredible amount of work even if the current isn't bad.

Rich M

WKR
Why not a canoe or kayak? You can put wheels under it, balance weight with gear over wheels and go at it like that? Thick woods? I've got a game cart and a canoe cart - both work pretty decent.

When I was younger I used to drag a boat about 1/2 mile to duck hunt and a mile or more to fish and duck hunt.

Last comment - those duck hunting/mud motors would get you upriver pretty well. I've got a longtail and would not hesitate to use it in rocks if I put a shield on the skag.

BFry

FNG
If hiking with a raft is an option, that would be much better than paddling upstream (that can really suck). In certain states you’d be legal wading upstream with a fishing pole instead of bringing the whole pack raft (ie montana), whereas in other states you’d need to have the raft inflated (ie Oregon), or this wouldn’t even be legal at all if you touch rivers bottom (ie Colorado).

It totally depends on the stream access laws in your state. If you don’t mind divulging, what state are you planning to hunt in? Otherwise, it seems like you’re off to a great start of getting away from most hunters!

BFry

FNG
Here in Oregon, people jump shoot deer from rafts or drift boats on “navigable” rivers (such as the Rogue) and it’s completely legal. A decent way to hunt animals that primarily reside on private property and can grow fairly large.

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
State law is that you have to be floating. No wading or even anchoring in the river.

Is there any way to put in farther upstream somewhere? I'd rather float twenty miles downstream than try to paddle 1 mile up, especially in a state that considers bumping into rocks in the river trespassing.

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any way to put in farther upstream somewhere? I'd rather float twenty miles downstream than try to paddle 1 mile up, especially in a state that considers bumping into rocks in the river trespassing.
It's a possibility. Trying to figure out if I can legally access the river from a bridge crossing upstream. So far it looks as though I would need to basically jump off the bridge directly to the water. Lol!

If that's a no go than its probably not feasible to come from upstream.

How high is the bridge? Can you rappel down with your gear? Looking at all avenues to get you into your spot. Is it a river that gets boated otherwise? If not then there is always the possibility of barbed wire fences, wiers, low head dams etc to think about. If it is boated commercially, maybe one of the rafting companies could help you out with logistics such as setting your shuttle or using one of their put-ins? If its this hard to access its probably worth trying. :)

From my experience with 10’ plastic kayaks and how much worse a packraft will paddle, you aren’t going to be able to make any upstream progress if the current is > 1 mph.

If you can find a way to rig it with a pair of 6’ oars, you’ll do way better upstream, it’s a dramatic difference vs paddling. I can row a 14’ flat bottom jon boat and make progress against a 4 mph current without getting out of breath.

The other option would be to look at some of the homemade drill powered trolling motors on YouTube. Wouldn’t trust it until it had been tested in similar conditions though.