Packrafting......Upstream?

Rich M

I'm gonna stick with the mud motor idea, and put it on a 16 or 18 ft square stern canoe. You can get a fiberglass canoe for cheap. Hack off one end and put a transom on it - reinforce it pretty good. Add extra flotation.

I don't think you are gonna jump any rapids but it would go upriver very well on a low flow river.

I've got a 9 hp on a 12 ft V nose utility hull, get about 5 mph in it. That's with couple bags of decoys, and two 250# guys.

The comment of rafting DOWN to the spot is likewise a great idea. If the river is pretty calm rapids-wise, a wide 16+ ft johnboat or a big canoe might be a good ticket as opposed to buying a raft.

I've only gone rafting a couple times - Allagash and Snake Rivers but we used to do a lot of river canoeing and would float in a johnboat during duck season (easier to shoot out of).

cphebb

I've used my packraft on some lakes and even if there is a slight headwind paddling is brutal. I don't think paddling upstream in a packraft is possible since it is a mile. I also haven't taken it on a slow enough river to consider paddling upstream.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
C

Copen1822

I've used my packraft on some lakes and even if there is a slight headwind paddling is brutal. I don't think paddling upstream in a packraft is possible since it is a mile. I also haven't taken it on a slow enough river to consider paddling upstream.

Thanks for the info.
What brand/model packraft do you have and are you happy with it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cphebb

Thanks for the info.
What brand/model packraft do you have and are you happy with it?

I have the Alpacka Raft classic with a whitewater deck and cargo fly. Without a doubt get the cargo fly, it's worth every penny. I'm able to put all my camping gear, some fishing gear and my backpacking bag inside. Then I have a little dry bag with things I need tied in by my feet.

I got it last year when I was in Alaska and used it on some small creeks there, the Kenai and a few lakes. It's been bounced off rocks and other debris and no has signs of damage. It's way more rugged than it looks.

I'm doing a big backpacking/floating trip in a few weeks with it so that will be a big test. I'll let you know how that goes when I get back.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~Craig

OP
C

Copen1822

I have the Alpacka Raft classic with a whitewater deck and cargo fly. Without a doubt get the cargo fly, it's worth every penny. I'm able to put all my camping gear, some fishing gear and my backpacking bag inside. Then I have a little dry bag with things I need tied in by my feet.

I got it last year when I was in Alaska and used it on some small creeks there, the Kenai and a few lakes. It's been bounced off rocks and other debris and no has signs of damage. It's way more rugged than it looks.

I'm doing a big backpacking/floating trip in a few weeks with it so that will be a big test. I'll let you know how that goes when I get back.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~Craig

Thanks!