Packrafting......Upstream?

Rich M

WKR
I'm gonna stick with the mud motor idea, and put it on a 16 or 18 ft square stern canoe. You can get a fiberglass canoe for cheap. Hack off one end and put a transom on it - reinforce it pretty good. Add extra flotation.

I don't think you are gonna jump any rapids but it would go upriver very well on a low flow river.

I've got a 9 hp on a 12 ft V nose utility hull, get about 5 mph in it. That's with couple bags of decoys, and two 250# guys.

The comment of rafting DOWN to the spot is likewise a great idea. If the river is pretty calm rapids-wise, a wide 16+ ft johnboat or a big canoe might be a good ticket as opposed to buying a raft.

I've only gone rafting a couple times - Allagash and Snake Rivers but we used to do a lot of river canoeing and would float in a johnboat during duck season (easier to shoot out of).

I've used my packraft on some lakes and even if there is a slight headwind paddling is brutal. I don't think paddling upstream in a packraft is possible since it is a mile. I also haven't taken it on a slow enough river to consider paddling upstream.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my packraft on some lakes and even if there is a slight headwind paddling is brutal. I don't think paddling upstream in a packraft is possible since it is a mile. I also haven't taken it on a slow enough river to consider paddling upstream.

Thanks for the info.
What brand/model packraft do you have and are you happy with it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.
What brand/model packraft do you have and are you happy with it?

I have the Alpacka Raft classic with a whitewater deck and cargo fly. Without a doubt get the cargo fly, it's worth every penny. I'm able to put all my camping gear, some fishing gear and my backpacking bag inside. Then I have a little dry bag with things I need tied in by my feet.

I got it last year when I was in Alaska and used it on some small creeks there, the Kenai and a few lakes. It's been bounced off rocks and other debris and no has signs of damage. It's way more rugged than it looks.

I'm doing a big backpacking/floating trip in a few weeks with it so that will be a big test. I'll let you know how that goes when I get back.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~Craig

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Alpacka Raft classic with a whitewater deck and cargo fly. Without a doubt get the cargo fly, it's worth every penny. I'm able to put all my camping gear, some fishing gear and my backpacking bag inside. Then I have a little dry bag with things I need tied in by my feet.

I got it last year when I was in Alaska and used it on some small creeks there, the Kenai and a few lakes. It's been bounced off rocks and other debris and no has signs of damage. It's way more rugged than it looks.

I'm doing a big backpacking/floating trip in a few weeks with it so that will be a big test. I'll let you know how that goes when I get back.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~Craig

Thanks!

Packrafts don't paddle well upstream, especially the caribou cause it has a block for a bow and is made to have a big load on front. I'd say anything more than a 2mph current and you're toast. one other alternative would be a sail. but the wind would have to be right for that to work. They do make foldable onesyou make foldable ones

Have you tried to get permission to cross the private to access the public?

What about asking several private owners upstream for permission to access a put in?

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys. This question is from last yr and I abandoned the idea and hunted some other pieces.