Packs for Big Guys

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a certain pack company that is better suited for us stockier build types? I wear size 40 jeans. Looking at Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. Open to other suggestions. Anyone with experience let me know. Thanks!

I have no experience with the packs you mentioned. However, my exo pack has been great for me and it sounds like we are similar in size.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 40 jeans also. Just got a Mystery Ranch Selway with the 40+ belt. Plenty of belt left with heavy clothes on. The torso is adjustable from 17-24 inches on the new guide light mt frame. Put about 50lb. in it to get it fitted right, and it is very comfortable.

Having a 40 inch waist, and broad, thick shoulders, it gets frustrating trying to find a pack that fits.

I bought a Kuiu Venture for a day pack. Awesome pack, with great organization, but I max the waistbelt out with light clothing. The shoulder straps had to have the sternum strap down to the bottom of the straps with light clothes. I'm going to have to sell it, regrettably.

I have a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 coming for a day pack. Not the organization of the Kuiu, but if it fits me, I can get around that!

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 40 jeans also. Just got a Mystery Ranch Selway with the 40+ belt. Plenty of belt left with heavy clothes on. The torso is adjustable from 17-24 inches on the new guide light mt frame. Put about 50lb. in it to get it fitted right, and it is very comfortable.

Having a 40 inch waist, and broad, thick shoulders, it gets frustrating trying to find a pack that fits.

I bought a Kuiu Venture for a day pack. Awesome pack, with great organization, but I max the waistbelt out with light clothing. The shoulder straps had to have the sternum strap down to the bottom of the straps with light clothes. I'm going to have to sell it, regrettably.

I have a Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 coming for a day pack. Not the organization of the Kuiu, but if it fits me, I can get around that!

I have very wide broad shoulders too, thank you for the recommendation. I may look into getting a Metcalf.

I have very wide broad shoulders too, thank you for the recommendation. I may look into getting a Metcalf.

If you like the size of the Metcalf look at the Terraframe 80. It is slightly larger with much better organization it just comes in solids because it is in the expedition series. It’s also less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, fellow husky hunter. For reference, I am 6’3” #250 with 38 jeans.

Key to pack fit is (1) torso length and (2) waist belt length.

Mystery ranch packs fit me fine with the possible exception of the gen 1 pop up belt not having enough adjustment for heavy layers. Gen 2 pop up XL belt is fine. All of their frames - NICE, guide light and guide light MT have worked fine. The belt straps have plenty of length and the different sized really have to do with how much hip padding they have. Bigger size = more length to the padded portion of the belt. Metcalf is a great pack. I swapped mine for a beartooth last year but mainly to update the frame. Both are great packs and excellent for hunting trips of +2 days or more. Their hunting line is made overseas and is going to run $350-550 for a pack and frame. The sell most as a set with a few you can buy pack only. Depending on your style of hunting many like to have more than one pack. My favorites are a ~40l size that can do an overnight or daypack duty and an ~80l pack that can handle multiple nights camping.

Kifaru frames had plenty of adjustment as well. You’ll want a large belt and depending on height, a set of large shoulder straps on a 24 or 26” frame. They are great about answering sizing questions via phone or email. Their packs are US made - ‘Merica! They sell packs and frames separate so it is easier to mix and match. Their packs also have higher volumes generally which can come in handy because XxL sized clothes, long sleeping pads, wide sleeping bags and extra food take up more space than munchkin sized stuff.

I am sure there are other brands that would work fine too.

Remember: it’s not fat, it is power.

Westside

FNG
I fit the big guy mold, I'm 6'5', 250, and wear a 40 jeans, I use a seek revolution frame and bag, absolutely love it, the extentions make it very custimizable. Best pack I've worn.

netman

WKR
I’m 6’2” 250 38 pants. I have the SO Saker with Revo frame and love it. Have packed several animals in it. Great load hauler.

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
6', 325 here. I have spent countless hundreds of dollars on packs from Badlands to Kifaru. I personally won't use anything other than Mystery Ranch. I have 4, and have a Scapegoat 35 on the way for an elk daypack. Can't say enough about them. And I know I can pick up the phone and call them and talk through any concerns.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
6', 325 here. I have spent countless hundreds of dollars on packs from Badlands to Kifaru. I personally won't use anything other than Mystery Ranch. I have 4, and have a Scapegoat 35 on the way for an elk daypack. Can't say enough about them. And I know I can pick up the phone and call them and talk through any concerns.

I just received my Scapegoat 35 today. I ordered the xl, which is a 21-24 in. torso, with the 34-39 in. belt. That was the largest waistbelt option.

The torso fits great, and being xl the padded straps are 2" longer than standard. Having thick, broad shoulders, this is Great!

The waistbelt is the weak link. I am bottomed out with only a flannel shirt on. I am 6'-1" 265 lb. 40 in. jeans, and approx. 46 in. around the belly button.

I will have to call Mystery Ranch Monday, and see if they have any options for a bigger waistbelt for the Scapegoat.

I may just have to scrap the internal frame daypack idea, and get the Pintler bag only, for my Selway 60 frame.

BigPrince

FNG
6'6" ~340, 42" waist and have been using Eberlestocks (DragonFly, Gunslinger, Gunrunner, etc). Just sold most of them to buy some lighter packs though and have been looking at Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier. Also have a Sitka Tool Bucket for day whitetail hunts that fits that role well. Thanks for the big guy info in this thread. Always glad to see. Wish others did more big and tall focused stuff (Firstlite....)

hammerguy

FNG
Mystery Ranch is a great choice for big boys.
I bought a Selway 60 in XL last summer.
I wear 44" pants and even with a base, mid, and heavy Northface outer layer I still had belt left.
I also filled that bag/shelf with 90lbs of meat/gear and was amazed at how comfortable it was.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Very little lift in the Mystery Ranch if you have a long back. Seek Outside Brooks for me between 245-275 depending on the season and 6'3" with 31" inseam and 40-44". I run the extension in the SO that takes me to a 28" Frame length. Perfect. XL belt fits great.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch is a great choice for big boys.
I bought a Selway 60 in XL last summer.
I wear 44" pants and even with a base, mid, and heavy Northface outer layer I still had belt left.
I also filled that bag/shelf with 90lbs of meat/gear and was amazed at how comfortable it was.
Agreed. I love my Selway. Just wish I could find an internal frame daypack that fits.

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my Scapegoat 35 today. I ordered the xl, which is a 21-24 in. torso, with the 34-39 in. belt. That was the largest waistbelt option.

The torso fits great, and being xl the padded straps are 2" longer than standard. Having thick, broad shoulders, this is Great!

The waistbelt is the weak link. I am bottomed out with only a flannel shirt on. I am 6'-1" 265 lb. 40 in. jeans, and approx. 46 in. around the belly button.

I will have to call Mystery Ranch Monday, and see if they have any options for a bigger waistbelt for the Scapegoat.

I may just have to scrap the internal frame daypack idea, and get the Pintler bag only, for my Selway 60 frame.
Well mine arrived today and the belt is also my weakest link. I have other MR belts, and I will NEVER be back in a medium belt, so I'm thinking it will get sacrificed to make a small belt extender until I can get down. If Beerpong can do it anyone can!

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Well mine arrived today and the belt is also my weakest link. I have other MR belts, and I will NEVER be back in a medium belt, so I'm thinking it will get sacrificed to make a small belt extender until I can get down. If Beerpong can do it anyone can!
I am returning the scapegoat. I am back to modding the Kuiu Venture. I just love the layout for a daypack.

I ordered the Kifaru edc belt. They answered all of my emails with questions about the length and heigth of the padded section of belt, and compatabilty with my Venture. That is great customer service, to help me modify a competitors pack!

BigPrince

FNG
Any feedback on large size belt adjustment range for Stone Glacier packs (Xcurve Sky 5900)? I am 6'6 ~42" waist, longer torso, broad shoulders. I see they list 37+ but curious what that max is. if it's 5 over, then 42" would potentially fit but may have problems when layered up. I sent them an email also but thought I'd poll the audience so to speak as well. I've narrowed down my next multiday pack to the SG 5900 or MR Metcalf/Beartooth. Thanks!