Packs for Big Guys

Marble

WKR
6'3, 225 here, looking for a comfortable, weight carrying pack as well.
I'm just a smidge shorter at 6'1" 220, 33 inch waist. Kifaru cavern, medium belt and I think large straps. I have fairly broad shoulders. With a guide lid I can do 6 days easy in archery solo, could probably go longer. Had enough room for most of my camp, plus 60 pounds of meat. Best piece of gear I've owned in a long time.

Just got the 44 mag too. Wife can use it when I'm not.
The comfort level at 90+ pounds was unbelievable.

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Great post, good info... in a similar boat. Big fella looking for a pack for day hunting. Down to the MR Pop Up 28 or the Pintler (leaning towards the Pintler).

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ 2”, 260 pounds, 36 ish inch waist. Stone glacier crux evo fits me pretty well. I have wide shoulders and a wide chest so the shoulder straps do have to flare out a bit, but I haven’t had any issues and it’s comfortable. I’ve heard great things about Exo for bigger dudes. I’m gonna try one I think.

netman

WKR
I know as a big guy the SO XL belts go up to 44. I wear a 38 pants but in winter I wear a 40 with long underwear underneath. My way of thinking is I need the extra for a heavy coat.
I have used my SO in all kinds of weather and the waist belt has been the least of my worries.

Thess87

WKR
6’8” 275lbs. 38 waist. Haven’t tried exo but for me between kuiu, MR, Kifaru. Kifaru hands down for me.

Laned

WKR
Seek Outside's XL hipbelt fits 36"-42" and XXL hipbelt fits 42"-48". Their frame with the 4" extensions gets their frame height up to 28" for you taller folks/those carrying heavy packs. Here's their info about how high to adjust their frames.

I'm fairly certain that the owner, Kevin, is at least 6'2" or 6'3". So, I'm certain that he makes sure that he can wear the packs comfortably.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch is a great choice for big boys.
I bought a Selway 60 in XL last summer.
I wear 44" pants and even with a base, mid, and heavy Northface outer layer I still had belt left.
I also filled that bag/shelf with 90lbs of meat/gear and was amazed at how comfortable it was.

I agree completely with this. It is one of the few packs that doesn't seem to cut into my hips when you get more than 40lbs in it.

Hondo

WKR
The Hill People Gear packs with the Prairie Belt 36+ are also good for big guys. Ditto on the Mystery Ranch suggestions.

jswayze1

FNG
Visited the Kifaru shop last month. Great help. They will make adjustment/fabricate to ensure it fits you well.

macabra11

FNG
What is the max on the Mystery Ranch XL sizes? It says 39"+ ... what is the "+"? I am 6'3, 255 and wear a size 42/32 pant (sometimes a 40 depending on cut/brand).

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
What is the max on the Mystery Ranch XL sizes? It says 39"+ ... what is the "+"? I am 6'3, 255 and wear a size 42/32 pant (sometimes a 40 depending on cut/brand).
On my Guide light MT, stretched out flat, the padded portion is 34" tip to tip. Let out to max, the nylon belt portion adds 10" per side, past the padded tips.
So I would say 54" max waist.
I wear 40 jeans, but measure 48" around belly button. The nylon belt is plenty long for me, but I do wish the padded portions were longer, for more hip wrap.
I did not include the buckles in the measurements.

Last edited:

macabra11

FNG
On my Guide light MT, stretched out flat, the padded portion is 34" tip to tip. Let out to max, the nylon belt portion adds 10" per side, past the padded tips.
So I would say 54" max waist.
I wear 40 jeans, but measure 48" around belly button. The nylon belt is plenty long for me, but I do wish the padded portions were longer, for more hip wrap.
I did not include the buckles in the measurements.
Thanks Greg, I am right there with you so it sounds like the XL size from MR would work for me.

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
Well I got a HPG Junction today. Overloaded it and away I went with the dogs. I think I am changing from my previous post! I have NEVER had that comfort before. No belt though. Never felt I needed it. It was AMAZING!

I have a long torso at 6' 4" and have been using a Dana Designs (pre Mystery Ranch)
for almost 30 years. They are still available on ebay for less than $200.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I am a thicker fellow also, and I have really enjoyed my MR Metcalf. I haven't had a chance to pack a lot of heavy loads just a couple of deer. But so far I have really enjoyed it.

TheMiz54

FNG
Following... I am 6' #250 and I was looking at the Kifaru Dall 7000. I plan on calling Kifaru and getting help on sizing the frame.

Great post, good info... in a similar boat. Big fella looking for a pack for day hunting. Down to the MR Pop Up 28 or the Pintler (leaning towards the Pintler).
If you're looking for a strictly dedicated day pack with the ability to occasionally haul meat, the Pop Up 28 is a great choice. If you're looking for a, mostly, day pack but with more versatility, and a bit more volume I'd look hard at the Pintler or the Sawtooth 45. I have both bags and prefer the Sawtooth for its zipper arrangement and storage layout. The Guide Light MT frame is a tank.

EDIT- I'm 6'3'' 260

Last edited: