Packs for dogs

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering for those of you that take a dog along into the backcountry what makes and models of packs are your dogs using? Feedback good, bad, or otherwise?
Thanks.

i really like the approach pack, doesnt hold alot, but fits tight and very streamlined. its doesnt flop or shift much, the top handle is nice too. it packs 3-4 days worth of food fine.
i also have a wenaha large pack, it has it place but the dog better be long legged, it has lots of space and can pack bulky items wells but it gets awful floppy. with the wenaha i usually roll the bags and tie them with cord so they arent so big unless the are FULL, otherwise everything is in the bottome swingin around.

approach is blue, wenaha is red.slate peak 010.jpgslate peak 001.jpgslate peak 004.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Our current lab is 12, he did hike a bit but not till his later years and never carried a pack. We get our new lab pup the end of April and my plan is to eventually get this one started off with a pack for our hikes. Still a year off before it will be wearing one but I'm getting excited thinking about it already lol. Thanks for the info so far.

i really like the approach pack, doesnt hold alot, but fits tight and very streamlined. its doesnt flop or shift much, the top handle is nice too. it packs 3-4 days worth of food fine.
i also have a wenaha large pack, it has it place but the dog better be long legged, it has lots of space and can pack bulky items wells but it gets awful floppy. with the wenaha i usually roll the bags and tie them with cord so they arent so big unless the are FULL, otherwise everything is in the bottome swingin around.

approach is blue, wenaha is red.View attachment 6497View attachment 6495View attachment 6496

Some good looking GSD's right there.

I've had 6 in my life so far. And there sure will be more!

Mike7

WKR
I have a couple of the size small Mountainsmith Packs for my 40 and 50 pound Brittany Spaniels that I've used for one season backpacking...and they seem to be working out quite well. The webbing will loosen up in the buckles though unless you bring along something like rubber bands to prevent this (I folded the webbing back over on itself and then secured with a rubber band). These dogs are large chested, shorter torsoed very active bird dogs (especially with blue grouse around) and don't seem to be able to shake the packs loose as long as you load them evenly.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Have had a few packs for the dogs over the years, the latest being the Mountainsmith. Happy with them so far, just to bad my current dogs aren't bigger so I could go back to the Wilderness Wanderers and get them to pack some actual weight so I don't have to.

IMG_2276_zps3cc7296b.jpg

rule of thumb ive heard from people into dogpacking is 25% bodyweight. but until they're 2, dont put any weight in really, joints are still growing etc. get them used to the pack, maybe some water bottles..
if i wanted to take all 3 of mine (which i dont, only 1 at a time on a trip) i could get by wearing only a camelback 8)

@ohitznik, thanks i love em

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I use the RuffWear Palisades packs with my two critters:

DogsInPacks.jpg

These packs come with two 1L water bladders (one on each side), and the packs detach from the harness. They are heavier than some packs, but I like that the packs can be quickly removed if necessary. Also, the handle on top is very handy:

Scott Portaging Dogs Across Scott Gomer Creek 1.jpg

Regards,
Scott

couple more of the approach pack, i see alot of guys running larger pannier style bags, the approach pack is not that way. my experience with the large bags is the weight sinks to the bottom and pendulums all over unless they're packed full. .02

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34

mtmiller

WKR
GuNR uses a Mountainsmith. I didn't like the pit strap since it rubbed him pretty raw a time or two, so I don't buckle that strap anymore and it rides fine. I can't compare it to any others.

24.jpg

1.jpg

25-2.jpg

10_zps4cf3036f.jpg

@miller: i love how fit your dog is, so many labs overweight these days and their owners see nothing wrong...
people have the audacity to tell me "feed your dogs, theyre too skinny"

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Cool pics mtmiller! That is a good looking mountain dog (and nice cutty).

Last edited:
First Post here guys....

Here's my Remmy with his Wilderness Wanderer pack. Love this pack. I have destroyed a number of other cheaper brands. I loaded him up with 40 lbs of deboned sheep. Also carries extra water which allows me to extend my time high on the mountain.

P1000450.jpg

Last edited: