Packs For Horseback Hunt

bearplott

FNG
Are there packs that I should stay away from because of size when riding? Staying at a camp and riding out daily. I was leaning towards a MR Metcalf. I'm thinking it's more then I'll need for the horseback hunt, but will be big enough for future hunts when I might need more capacity. Thoughts?

Lowndes

FNG
Thoughts on the Kiowa 3200 for this purpose? That is the one I have my eyes set on so thought I would piggyback off this thread.

WCB

WKR
Just avoid external frame packs that extend above or even with your head.

#1 you will develope a headache.
#2 you more than likely will get ripped off your horse.

Marble

WKR
a badlands 2200 works and is about as big as i would want. an external frame would be something i would stay away from.
I use these and like them when on horse back. If you are possibly going to be carrying meet out I would get something else.

If you are going to be fmdoing a multi day hunt, get something bigger.

I like a pack long enough so when I sit on my horse the bottom of the pack sits behind the saddle and takes the weight off of me.

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
Just avoid external frame packs that extend above or even with your head.

#1 you will develope a headache.
#2 you more than likely will get ripped off your horse.
This right here is true. I used MR Metcalf horseback this past year and more than once was almost ripped off. An outfitter friend of mine who is well seasoned said when he's guiding a client he refuses to let them wear their pack when riding because he's seen guys hurt bad by it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I try to avoid day packs with padded or pocketed lumbar belts. I'm assuming you'll be carrying a sidearm in a hip holster and when you're in the saddle it will pinch or rub , out of the saddle your draw will be impaired.

Read1t48

WKR
I wore a kifaru all the time while riding. And that was in an Aussie saddle which has a higher cantle. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Just try the pack. If it works, use it. And I had several horses including a 17.2 Belgian. Tall stuff... duck or get off.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Last year we had to wear packs on the trip out as a big bull elk decided to come home with us while we were hunting stone sheep and the pack horses ended up being loaded heavy enough that some gear had to go into packs and go out on saddle horses.
None of us had any issues when we wore two SG 7400’s and a 5900 while riding. (Individually of course...)

Well, the one issue all three of us experienced was actually getting into the saddles while wearing a pack.

OP
B

bearplott

FNG
Thanks for all the replies! The outfitter we are going with told me to give them a call to discuss and I will make my decision after that.