Packs for Longer Torsos

DIBBS

FNG
Okay everyone, so I already asked earlier about budget range packs. This is sort of a follow up to that but slightly different subject so I created a new thread for it.
What’s out there for taller individuals (21.5” torso if I measured correct). I tried on an eberlestock team elk that a friend had and even fully lengthened out I couldn’t get the pack on my hips.
To tie in to my earlier post I’m more interested in hearing about stuff under $300, preferably with a detachable pack or system where you can pack meat next to the frame. Primary use would be day hunts into maybe an overnighter or two, archery hunting. Thanks!!

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
It's a bit outside of your budget but look at Seek Outside. They offer packs with frame extensions that help those with long torsos. (which I have too). I'm more of a "buy once cry once" kind of guy so price wasn't my deciding factor, YMMV.

I just received their Peregrine 3500 so haven't had a chance to adjust it and put it through it's paces. But right out of the box it feels super comfortable. And it will work for both day hunts and up to 3-4 day trips (at least that's the general consensus of other owners). And it is set up to carry meat. So far I'm impressed with it and I believe I'll like it even more once I get to using it. I don't think you'll read a bad review on their products or customer service either. I spent TONS of time reading every post on the slide and other forums trying to make my decision. Kind of fun but it will wear you out and give you analysis paralysis too lol!

Good luck in your quest!

wily

HH Full Curl is adjustable up to very long torsos.....

i have more expensive packs but really they don't do anything a full curl won't. 5000cu/in all the way down to day mode, a frame and suspension built for very heavy loads, functional load lifters, etc... it's a outstanding value for the price.

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
HH Full Curl is adjustable up to very long torsos.....

i have more expensive packs but really they don't do anything a full curl won't. 5000cu/in all the way down to day mode, a frame and suspension built for very heavy loads, functional load lifters, etc... it's a outstanding value for the price.

I’ve looked at the full curl a little. And everything I’ve heard matches what you said. That it has some pretty good bang for the buck. I guess I was just a little apprehensive without being able to try it on.

- - - Updated - - -

A Badlands 2200 might work? I still keep one around for a loaner pack, best mass built pack out there IMHO.

I’ve had my sights set on the Badlands 2200 for some time now. Just haven’t made it to a place where I can really try one on. From what I’ve heard badlands also has great customer service and an outstanding warranty.

efnm

WKR
I'm a 6'4" ape with a long torso and I rocked the recent version of the Full Curl System easily. I ended up selling it because I disliked some of its features, but it hauled everything fine. Now I am using a Kuiu XL pack and it is almost too long for me - I have the adjustment at nearly the shortest range to feel right for me. So, I'd keep an eye out for a used Kuiu setup with the XL frame. For various reasons, they don't have as much of a following here on Rokslide and that means that they may be more affordable when they do hit the classifieds, unlike SG, EXO, or Kifaru setups.

I’ve looked at the full curl a little. And everything I’ve heard matches what you said. That it has some pretty good bang for the buck. I guess I was just a little apprehensive without being able to try it on.

Buy it off amazon and do a amazon return if you don't like it.

fyi you can also swap the belt for HPG prairie or kifaru duplex and it'll make a world of difference.

One other option worth considering is buying something like stone glaciers minimalist for aroudn $300, sized specifically for you and adding a better bag when funds permit.

A Badlands 2200 might work? I still keep one around for a loaner pack, best mass built pack out there IMHO.

X2...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve had my sights set on the Badlands 2200 for some time now. Just haven’t made it to a place where I can really try one on. From what I’ve heard badlands also has great customer service and an outstanding warranty.

There is no better warranty. Customer service is great.

aion2come

WKR
Kifaru 26" will work (and I hear they do custom 28" frames), Seek Outside, and Exo is coming out with a taller frame. What I would do is invest in a high end frame and just strap a dry bag to it the first year. You can add the bag later. That allows you to get the best of the best. The Full Curl is fine, if you want to carry a super heavy pack that feels like a board on your back. JMHO.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same length back. Hard to fit for. Older Dana Designs largest size Astraplane has a 27" Frame and works pretty well. I have had some success with the extra long Kuiu Icon at 26"but find it less comfortable past 50 pounds. Best yet for me is is the Seek Outside Brooks. With the lift kit the frame gets to 28" long and I get mid ear load lifters with heavy loads. I got it on their 20% sale before Christmas so it even just about fit your price point. Very flexible system. Love the inboard load shelf and prefer the in the bag system to any over-load design which I find too fussy for me. Will be doing a You-Tube video today I think.

It handles 80 pounds pretty well. and still gets the weight off of my shoulders. Haven't tried it past 80. I have been using it without a lid but it works well with a Mystery Ranch chest system (the "wet rib": love it!) and Kifaru Belt pouches. Along with the two long pockets and some internal storage bags I am feeling pretty good about organization, which is a strong point for the Kuiu Icon.

https://seekoutside.com/brooks-7400/
Mystery Ranch Wet Ribs: The Hiker's Office - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog

My Video on the Seek Outside "Brooks" is here. Loving it so far!

YouTube

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
That Horn Hunter is ten times the pack that 2200 is, and the HH is made in America, the 2200 in China. I don't know how many failure stories we need to give you on the 2200 before you move it down your list? Heck, I started with a HH, and I've rode a 4 wheeler for a couple miles with the pack hanging off the back rubbing the tire... wore a small hole in some of the mesh on the shoulder pad, still going strong, my buddy uses it now. They offered to fix it for free, but I didn't see the need to even send it in. I can probably walk out here in the shop and find a couple of broke 2200s to show you right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
That Horn Hunter is ten times the pack that 2200 is, and the HH is made in America, the 2200 in China. I don't know how many failure stories we need to give you on the 2200 before you move it down your list? Heck, I started with a HH, and I've rode a 4 wheeler for a couple miles with the pack hanging off the back rubbing the tire... wore a small hole in some of the mesh on the shoulder pad, still going strong, my buddy uses it now. They offered to fix it for free, but I didn't see the need to even send it in. I can probably walk out here in the shop and find a couple of broke 2200s to show you right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m not saying the 2200 is at the top of my list. It was just the first thing I found when beginning my research. It also at least gives me a baseline of something I can try on at a chain store to compare to other packs out there.
Everyone values things differently as well. If I value customer service and warranty higher than best quality equipment than maybe I prefer to replace a 2200 five times without question than maybe one time with another pack and not get it fixed(not saying it wouldn’t get fixed either it sounds like most of the higher end pack companies have fantastic customer service.)
I’ve heard great things about the HH as well, hopefully I will get that chance to get a better look at one.

cwegga

FNG
As a fellow long torsoist (6'3" - 32" inseam pants). I'd say you can skip Badlands. I like their stuff, but I tried on 5 or so of their packs at Sportsman's and none of them were long enough to use the waist belts. I have a daypack from them with no waist belt that I like but they don't work for me with the bigger packs. What I do to stay cheap is just use my regular hiking/backpack camping pack that I got at REI years ago.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
kifaru made me a 28" tactical frame, its not the lightest thing out there but its the bomb for hauling weight. I don't use it for every hunt but that frame with my fulcrum pack helped me haul out my sheep 20 +miles.

Shrek

WKR
I have a 28” Kifaru Long Hunter with aluminum stays in foliage with a marge (medium/large) belt I’d sell. I bought a new Hunter frame and this one just sits. Like new. If you’re interested pm me and I’ll think about a price.

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
Can anyone with a horn hunter full curl post/send me some pics of their suspension and torso adjustment system. Trying to get a better feel for how much room they have.

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
I have a 28” Kifaru Long Hunter with aluminum stays in foliage with a marge (medium/large) belt I’d sell. I bought a new Hunter frame and this one just sits. Like new. If you’re interested pm me and I’ll think about a price.
I appreciate the offer Shrek, still working on saving to get into my price range at the moment though. Likely won’t be in the market until late spring early summer