Packs for mobile hunting

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at the MR sawtooth 45 and the popup 38 for mobile stand and stick hunting as well as backpack hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenbar

FNG
I have a tenzing 1250 (I think) half pack. It’s a glorified Fanny pack with a nice suspension, but it’s amazing what it will hold and what you can add to it with its design and built in lash straps. Don’t know if it fits the Bill for you or not, but I like it for my purposes hunting deer and turkeys.

I’m looking at a Stone Glacier Avail for saddle hunting. I think the predator platform will fit in the holster on the back and climbing spurs will fit one on each side on the outside. Any love for this pack saddle hunting or recommendations?

Lowg08

WKR
I bought it for the same reason. I will be using the hawk tree seat as a platform and bashlin climbing hooks and carrying a rope to rappel down. Along with a kill kill kit and other necessities and a rain suit and puffy pants and jacket

I’ve been hunting the last half of season with Bashlin’ spurs and I rappel out. Have you you received your pack and loaded it up yet?
If I can get a jacket and rope in, I’m pretty much a minimalist on carrying stuff in with me. I have a meat pack.

Lowg08

WKR
I have not loaded it yet but I know the hooks will fit and my puffy stuff packs really small

I am seeking out different options for a small daypack for next year. My current setup is a Lone Wolf sit and climb and I have a Tenzing 2200 Daypack. I love the pack for all day rifle hunts, scouting, etc. but it is definitely heavy to strap on to my climber. I am considering a saddle setup for next year to try and reduce the bulk of carrying a climber. I think that my current pack would suffice for carrying sticks and the saddle setup, but am curious if others have found a good minimalist stand hunting day pack.

For reference the vast majority of my setups are on public land with 3/4 mile+ off trail hikes in.
Some of your reasons are exactly why my advice to new hunters in the west are to buy a quality pack from the get go instead of going through 3 or 4 different packs by the time a person finally sees the light. That’s the mistake I made. By the time I bought 3 different cheap o 2200 or 2800 type packs, I could have just broke down and spent the money up front on a quality do it all pack for the price of those 3.

Kjackgold

FNG
This season I started out using a Tenzing TX 17. It worked great for hiking in with predator platform in pack and a couple essentials such as a knife, headlamp, extra flashlight, some TP for tracking, ect... I then would strap my 3 Hawk mini sticks to the outside of the pack. This was great until I decided I didnt want to drag deer out anymore so i switched to my EXO 4800 K3 and i am really loving the pack.

Just bought an X2 for my saddle hunting set up. At 6’, I’m a little concerned that it will be too short. I like the wing idea for the sticks. Ran a Trophyline CAYS pack but after a whole season, realized I wasn’t a fan of the height or compression strap system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilgrim7

FNG
I just bought a Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45 to use as a do it all pack (other than 3+ day backpack hunts). For the last several years, I've been saddle hunting out of a small 1800 day pack if it was warm, or a big Dueter 75+10 backpacking bag if it was cold or I was going in more than a mile. The Dueter worked well enough on spot and stalk type hunts, but it was a bit of a pain in the ass in the saddle. Hoping the sawtooth will be a little easier to deal with in the air, and be just right for upcoming antelope and muley hunts.

Attachments

• IMG_20201203_165408957.jpg
    IMG_20201203_165408957.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 66

BRoth82

WKR
I've ran a horn hunter mainbeam and it worked well. You could haul half a deer out, much more than that and it got uncomfortable fast.

OP
L
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think moving forward if hunting with my climber, I will find a cheap, small, lightweight, minimalistic pack to keep a few essentials in like a flashlight, knife, water bottle, etc and just strap any needed layers to my climber. As I transition into saddle hunting, I think I can utilize my Tenzing 2200 for now, but I believe a more robust pack with a meatshelf is likely in order sooner than later which will also serve for a pack when I get out west.

My newest setup is an Eberlestock M1 carrier frame. I can add to it if I need too. I went with it because it gives me options for adding on and it was relatively cheap on sale. It also works great for my platform and saddle setup.

eakin8

FNG
I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 and it carries my Millennium M7 and 4 full length Hawk Helium sticks quite nicely. I haven't hunted out of it yet obviously, but took about a mile hike through the woods with a foot of snow on the ground the other night just for "fun" and it carried much nicer than just the stand with a set of molle straps on it. I also picked up an Eberlestock X2 and it doesn't carry the stand well but would be great for a saddle platform I'm sure.

Jimss

WKR
I can pretty much guarantee that using a larger frame pack plus bag that is designed for hauling 50+ lbs will be 100% more comfortable and easier on your body than a small daypack that is only designed for 15 to 25 lb loads. This is true even if you are only haling around 25 lbs of gear!

I hardly even notice that I have a pack on my back with a 25 lb load in my large volume Kifaru. The same load with a small day pack and my neck and back will be aching at the end of day 1!

A spotting scope and tripod are fairly bulky/hefty. Just hauling them around takes up a lot of room in a daypack.

I used to use small daypacks while scouting with less bulky, light loads....but no more! It's also nice being able to pack an entire boned out deer-sized load out in 1 trip and not having to return an additional trip to pack him out with a larger pack!

*zap*

WKR
I use a MR guide lite frame with a TAG recon ruck or a SG krux frame and a 6300. The TAG has a bunch of outside pockets which come in handy for day hunts....just started using it this year and it was pretty good. I had that bag for a while and never really used it. The SG is a little lighter, both handle weight well and fit me well.

Bcrawford

Lil-Rokslider
This is my setup with sticks and a saddle platform. Exo K2 2000. I have also used this for a LW alpha and LW full length sticks. The bag itself makes a great daypack and the frame will handle more than most can carry when it comes to packing out game.

Attachments

• 3E3F9D14-1363-4C0D-8ECD-4AC32FAD2009.jpeg
    3E3F9D14-1363-4C0D-8ECD-4AC32FAD2009.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 96
This is my setup with sticks and a saddle platform. Exo K2 2000. I have also used this for a LW alpha and LW full length sticks. The bag itself makes a great daypack and the frame will handle more than most can carry when it comes to packing out game.
Now that's a setup! I'm saving this for when I get into the saddle game.

jboyce23

FNG
Ive been using the MR 28 pop up with sticks and saddle. So far have packed out one deer prob 180-200 live weight. Was a lot of weight for that setup. Next time probably would do 2 trips. Other than that it is a great backpack for saddle hunting. It's small enough to help hide in tree with you and the meat shelf part fits your platform really well and any extra outer wear.

Pretty happy with my badlands super day pack. Of they added mesh suspension to keep my back from sweating in the early season, I'd have zero complaints