Packs in the rain

milama08

FNG
New to the forum but have an issue. I bough a Kuiu 6000Pro pack two weeks ago. This weekend I took it out on the initial hunt. It rained a bit, but was not a downpour. After 30-45 minutes all my clothing layers in the pack were soaked. I know the pack isn’t waterproof but though the DWR spray would have given more protection. Is this a common issue for this pack or other packs? I am considering returning and getting another pack, but I see most other packs only do DWR spray too. Before I bought this pack I considered kifaru, EXO, and Mystery Ranch. Any feedback is appreciated

Bcleck90

WKR
Put everything you don’t want wet inside a dry bag inside your current pack or look into one of the Kifaru / Seek Outside packs in xpac. Other manufacturers may have something similar but you’d have to look. Those are the only two I’m familiar with.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My water proof pack cover, rain coat, and rifle cover are always together in a medium belt pouch on the outside of the pack. If it's raining at all it goes on immediately. Kifaru packs that are non-exo wet out quickly and take forever to dry.

OP
M

milama08

FNG
Put everything you don’t want wet inside a dry bag inside your current pack or look into one of the Kifaru / Seek Outside packs in xpac. Other manufacturers may have something similar but you’d have to look. Those are the only two I’m familiar with.
So in your experience does the kifaru absorb water? I’m assuming all of them will have the same issue, but wanted to get some input before I returned because I do like the pack (other than the water issue)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So in your experience does the kifaru absorb water? I’m assuming all of them will have the same issue, but wanted to get some input before I returned because I do like the pack (other than the water issue)
Kifaru's wet out quickly and get heavier than all get out. Take forever to dry too. Just get a good water proof pack cover and be done with it.

OP
M

milama08

FNG
buy a rain cover, it's standard issue in the PNW with a pack. Mystery Ranch makes one with a hood to go over your head, this keeps the water from running down your back.
Only problem w a rain cover is I’m also using the pack for whitetail and I attach my saddle and climbing sticks to the pack so a rain cover won’t work. Sounds like best option is rain cover for elk hunts and some dry bags inside for the whitetail hunts

All packs made of Cordura wet out. Xpac material gives a better chance at water repellency due to the nature of the fabric but water will eventually get through the seems. Get a quality pack cover for whatever pack you choose.

NorseNW

FNG
Rain cover seems like a good option if you are in a drier environment with occasional rain. As mentioned earlier for PNW use I'd suggest a dry bag inside the pack. My wife uses multiple small dry bags (just after market ones she found on amazon) inside her kuiu pack. I have an EXO and run the dry bag they sell that snaps inside the pack. Heavier??? Yes - but pretty much everywhere I hunt if its not raining I'm rubbing up against trees / brush that are wet. Drop the back on the ground to glass or whatever - also wet. Just have to figure out what works for you.

OP
M

milama08

FNG
Looking at rain covers and dry bags. Any recommendations on dry bags? Should I get a couple smaller ones or try and get one big dry bag for the pack?

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I have an exo and run the large bag they sell, have a couple smaller aftermarket ones that I thought I would use but were to much of pain. I do throw a few items in small zip locks if I want to be extra safe, will probably go ahead and buy a cover that I can throw on if I want to

Have have an SO Fortress 6300. There is no reason for a rain cover with the seams sealed. I still keep my clothes and bag in ultralight dry bags - it adds extra insurance and I like keeping my clothes contained in something once we get to campsite and empty out the backpack in the tipi. My Fortress rides on the floor of inflatables bouncing across lakes and bays, is in a lot of rainy wet weather in Alaska. Nothing has ever been wet inside. The Fortress is pac-x, with no zipper. Pretty much a big roll top dry bag. It's a bit of a trade off with no bag zipper I suppose - but I don't know what I'm missing and knowing the inside of my pack is dry feels pretty good! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Ore2u

FNG
I always bag my clothing before it goes in my pack. I dont waste money or weight. I simply use gallon zip locks and gargabe bags. they have come in handy packing out my grind also

All packs will soak through eventually. XPac is NOT waterproof. More water resistant however the entire pack isn’t made out of Xpac just certain/more exposed areas. If you will be hunting in a location that won’t shred a rain cover then use it. However, some areas the bush is so thick (I.e. The Alder forests of Alaska) that a rain cover will be shredded in minutes. That’s why, regardless of where I am hunting, anything I don’t want wet and need to stay dry is inside of a dry bag. Recently got back from a coastal Alaskan black bear hunt. We waded rivers from mid calf to chest deep in the pouring rain. Rain cover was useless. My pack was drenched on a daily basis. However all my gear was bone dry because it was all inside dry bags. If I had to choose a rain cover over a dry bag to keep my stuff dry.……. Dry bag every time.

JohnnyB

WKR
You can use a contractor trash bag inside your pack. I always have one at the bottom of my pack for a myriad of reasons. You can use it as a ground sheet, a place to keep meat clean while processing, an emergency rain poncho, etc.

Rain fly for the pack is the only way to keep your pack from getting heavier when soaked.

Ore2u

FNG
I guess it really depends on how long you are going out for, how wet you are going to get, and if weight is a issue.