Packs pulling you backwards

Has anyone had any issue with it feeling like your backpack is pulling you backwards? I have tried two different companies (Kifaru and Exo) and I have had trouble with it feeling like I’m getting pulled backwards even with lower weight. I have made sure to get the weight in my sandbag evenly distributed and high up on the load shelf and it still feels that way. With my kifaru, I broke in the lumbar pad as suggested by Kifaru and attempted to bend the aluminum stays to fit my back and I have still had issues. Going to look into a flat frame from SG to see if my back is flatter than I think it is but I am able to get my hand almost to my wrist behind my back when doing the back to the wall test. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

OP
E
Yes I have made sure to tighten the load lifters. I followed Kifarus process for their pack fitting and I have always battled with it seeming to pull me backwards even with smaller loads.

OP
E
Im making sure to pack it in the load shelf high up. And yes I do have a short torso. When I leave nothing in the pack and just put on the waist belt, I always seem to have a gap between the shoulder pads and my upper back.

Drenalin

WKR
Im making sure to pack it in the load shelf high up. And yes I do have a short torso. When I leave nothing in the pack and just put on the waist belt, I always seem to have a gap between the shoulder pads and my upper back.
Is the gap still there when you snug up the shoulder straps and load lifters? Adjusting the torso height took care of that for me, but we might be talking slightly different issues depending on your answer to that question.

Drenalin

WKR
I'd also say with the major pack makers - Exo, Kifaru, SG, SO - you can take some pictures of yourself wearing the pack (from the front, from the side) and email them to customer service. They can and will give you recommendations to get the fit right. I don't think trying another pack is the right answer yet - you're trying out quality brands and none of them should feel like they're pulling you backwards if fitted correctly. I'd get that issue resolved with whichever pack you have now, then decide whether you like that frame and suspension or not.

*zap*

WKR
Straight pack stays for a short torso are best....and kifaru frames have adjustable point of contact for the top of the shoulder strap so you can kinda shorten the frame but a shorter frame may work better. SG evo frame has straight stays and aluminum kifaru stays can be made straight.
I believe the kifaru frame is designed for a bit of space behind the shoulder but the SG evo you can get to fit the back of the shoulder tight. I believe the kifaru is designed to put more of the weight on your lower back and hips where the SG may put more on the shoulders. jmo.
6' and short torso here and the evo fits me well, x curve did not.....my kifaru needs a bit of tweaking on the aluminum stays but I have not got to it yet and it is not really bad as is....
The MR guide lite has straight stays also and is the easiest to adjust for torso length by far....

Good luck and your welcome to try any of my frames if your ever in Douglas county, Kansas.

Last edited:

muchach0

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you’re skinny and small frame like me but usually if you adjust from the hip belt up and make the load lifters and torso adjustments last that should help also making sure your shoulder straps are taught and not tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try to tweak each of my packs to make them more comfortable. Then if I can’t figure it out, I will be contacting the companies to attempt to see what I can do. I think I may end up trying my aluminum stays completely flat in my Kifaru to see if that will help.

TheGDog

WKR
Has anyone had any issue with it feeling like your backpack is pulling you backwards? I have tried two different companies (Kifaru and Exo) and I have had trouble with it feeling like I’m getting pulled backwards even with lower weight. I have made sure to get the weight in my sandbag evenly distributed and high up on the load shelf and it still feels that way. With my kifaru, I broke in the lumbar pad as suggested by Kifaru and attempted to bend the aluminum stays to fit my back and I have still had issues. Going to look into a flat frame from SG to see if my back is flatter than I think it is but I am able to get my hand almost to my wrist behind my back when doing the back to the wall test. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
In what way did Kifaru tell you to break-in your lumbar pad? I'm keenly interested to know that one.

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried loading not just evenly distributed, but with anything heavy hugging the frame? In my experience, the backwards pull comes from lashing extra bags or food or whatever to the outside of the pack. Pulling the weight in helps.

It might also help to adjust your body, remembering that when weighted, your center of gravity changes.

OP
E
In what way did Kifaru tell you to break-in your lumbar pad? I'm keenly interested to know that one.
They told me to lay a heavy book on the pad for around a day or two and that would cause the pad to get compressed and smaller.

Have you tried loading not just evenly distributed, but with anything heavy hugging the frame? In my experience, the backwards pull comes from lashing extra bags or food or whatever to the outside of the pack. Pulling the weight in helps.

It might also help to adjust your body, remembering that when weighted, your center of gravity changes.
I have the pack loaded with only a sandbag in the load shelf portion of the pack. That is how I have been doing all of my testing with the Kifaru.

Marble

WKR
They told me to lay a heavy book on the pad for around a day or two and that would cause the pad to get compressed and smaller.

I have the pack loaded with only a sandbag in the load shelf portion of the pack. That is how I have been doing all of my testing with the Kifaru.
If you have a sand bag at the bottom of your load shelf, that would suck. The load is packed in correctly. It should be center of backside to side and up/down.

Put a big bunch of laundry in the pack, I use my elk bags, get the sand bag around the middle and when you pick up the pack, it should be fairly balanced.

Loosen the shoulder, chest and load lifters. Put on pack.
Tighten the belt and lift the pack while doing it. Snug it so it should be where the pack barely touches shoukder blades.
Pull load lifters until they have tension.
Chest is last, it's made to keep the shoulder straps out of your arm pits. It is not meant to be supportive.
The shoulder straps should not be restrictive.
Weight should be on your hips.

You only need 30 to 40 pounds to train. Very rarely more just to test and get used to adjusting the pack.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
RE: Testing - Shove in 4 Gallon bottles of water to do training hikes. Also to learn about how to adjust your pack properly for your body. It bumps the weight up enough to where you have to figure out the adjustments or it's going to end up making you sore and hurt you from improper fitment. Not to mention possibility of pack-rash when fitment is not right. Had that happen before. Pack-Rash blisters all across the abdomen from packing out an animal is No Bueno.

Pack-Rash blisters all across the abdomen from packing out an animal is No Bueno.
it's always bueno packing a heavy load of meat... the rough ones are learning experiences, after that, you'll get a little more serious about pack fit ;)

learning by necessity is generally a good way to learn... those lessons are tough to forget