Packs: Trying to move from 2 pack system to 1

. The x2 was fully loaded and carried with the duplex frame and cargo panel. Not dumb enough to carry an empty x2! ;)

HAHA, no kidding. Either way, the point I was trying to make is that if you were willing to piggyback a 2200 ci bag onto a larger one.... a single 1850 ci bag was a poor suggestion.

JOe

Sorry, you three seem to have totally missed the load sling component of the Icon 1850 pack.

It's not limited to 1850 in volume, and more than doubles 'internal' space with the load sling engaged with zero add'l weight.

Alternatively, there are a couple other packs with load slings that compress to nothing after you've setup camp; Stone Glacier has three under $600, Kuiu a coulle more options that will take you to 7-9000 total internal volume range under $500. I had the Icon 5000 and thought it was a bit large for a multipurpose day hiker role.

I completely understand the idea of the "load sling sandwich." I did it for three years on my Mystery ranch longbow and i was not a fan. For one, it pushed the weight way out off my back when trying to pack in for 3 or more days. The other thing I didnt like is that it makes things very hard to get to, at least the set up I ran did. And last, if you pack in more than 1 night, you will not have room for a first load out with meat because you are using the meat hauling ability of the pack for your stuff.

I am NOT saying it is a bad bag and I am sure the sanwich idea would work better on the kuiu than my MR simply because it is a taller frame. But I truly think that a larger ci pack with the ability to compress down it much more user friendly and you are only sacrificing a few ounces at most. I am not saying KUIU would be bad, but I would definately go for a larger than 1850 ci bag for anything more than day trips. Besides, with my 85mm zeiss spotter in that 1850, 850 of the ci would already be used up.

JOe

OP
dreamingbig
Pulling up this old thread. Last year I rolled with only my DT2 and this year I am rolling with just my nomad. I have been waiting for the nomad for a few years now. Patiently waiting for it to arrive; I ordered the multicam version.

7mag.

WKR
So far I really like my Nomad, but I've only used it on training hikes, so time will tell. I am really impressed how small I can get it with all my gear.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Great choice! I'm running a MR Metcalf but that Duplex and cargo panel has me itching to get that combo as my load hauler.