Packs: Trying to move from 2 pack system to 1

Hey guys,

I have an offseason gear upgrade question to ponder...

Currently I have a Kifaru Duplex frame and cargo panel plus two long pockets and two small pockets on the waist belt. I also have a Eberlestock x2 (2200 cubic inches) which I slid inside the cargo panel and topped with a waterproof stuff bag that held my clothes.

I want to move to a 1 pack system but the budget did not allow for this last year. I think the obvious approach is to purchase a Kifaru Timberline duplex bag but i am unsure as to which size would be best. I think I have narrowed it down to the Timberline 2 but the Timberline 3 might fit everything and would be a smaller daypack (less to compress). With the Timberline 3 I would still have the option of top loading a stuff bag.

However, my decision was further muddied by the addition of the high camp 4800 bag. Given I have two long pockets already, this might be the best way to go. My other concern is using my main meat hauler for the day pack as once blood gets on it will be more smelly when I am helping my buddies fill their tags or if I use mine to help pack out another animal before my own tag is punched.

So the question is... stick with my current 2 pack set up or switch to an one pack system. If switching, which bag would you recommend I purchase?

Below I have a picture of my setup in action for the pack out. The hauler and cargo panel worked great and carried the load beautifully. I also packed my bull out with ease.

Thanks for the help!

cargopanelandhauler_zps23f278cf.jpg

IMG_1912_zpsff5e84de.jpg

1 pack
sell that schmeberly
options...
1) I would get the DT1 bag for your big packs and long trips, and just use the long pockets on the frame once you got there. My wife uses that, it works great, I call it the DT4. Or just compress it down, its only a few ounces smaller and compresses down very very small. The DT1 may be cheaper with lots of guys bailing for the bikini.
2) Get the bigger high camp bag and do the same as above.... longer wait, and a few different pocket options for you.
3) Get the DT2 bag and use it for everything, with your pockets it will be good for longer trips, then pop them off for short stuff.

the reason I like #1... Too big is always better than too small and its a small weight difference. I dont personally like to add pockets to the outside, they work ok, but I hate dealing with it. The other reason I like it... because its what i do and it works great hahaha.

as far as the blood smell... You are going to have blood on your cargo panel and frame any way, most of your meat hauling will be done with the frame only (judging from your pic), and you have obviously figured out that the large contractor bags are awesome. Not to mention that you can hose it out and its good to go.

Joe

dotman

WKR
Sell the X2 and if you want a day pack or space to put stuff on your frame get an E&E with Xray straps. This will save you around 3 or 4lbs and still give you a modular system but really only 1 pack. My E&E will either be the lid to my Highcamp or I'll use on the E&E with the bikini frame, grab it, ku meat bag and lash straps. Doubt you find a DT series bag used for less then the highcamp costs new if you want a bag.

Fyi... I believe the main compartment on the larger highcamp has more space then the DT1.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I got a T1 and cut the snow collar off and it does everything. They compress way down. I would only have that pack, but I hate repacking when switching back and forth for different types of hunts, so I have T2 for Whitetail and Hog hunting. So I leave my packs loaded accordingly. T1 for the big hunts - Multi Day. T2 for short or day hunts. I could use the T1 for them all if I wanted to repack each time.

Get the big bag, its a little more in the weight department, but it compresses so small it doesn't matter. I know there is a photo of Conlan(slim9300) floating around that shows how small his standard T1 gets. If you've already got the duplex I'd say grab the DT1 bag and roll with it.

OP
dreamingbig
Thanks for the replies; keep it coming! All good stuff to ponder and you make good points. I feel like I need to get rid of my of Gregory Denali and Eberlestock x2 to make room for a DT bag and a high camp bag!

sk1

WKR
i was convinced to go dt1 over dt2, and am glad i did.....room to pack out gear and game on the first trip with the dt1....id go that route or else the larger high camp bag, but i like the pocket configuration of the dt. it also compresses really well for a day pack, a little extra weight but it carries so well you wont notice

I have the same goal to move from a 2 pack system to one pack. I think the new KUIU 1850 is the answer for me. Im on the preorder list and excited to see the pack at the expo in a couple weeks. With the load shelf I can get a 2-3 hunt out of it and its plenty small for an optic pack on my day hunts and has the ability to haul as much as I can carry as far as meat.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Since you already have the frame I would get the DT1 bag. Like a few others have said, it really packs down small.
I really like the pockets on the Timberline packs. I use a T1 all the time for a day pack.

OP
dreamingbig
Okay, here is what I decided. I hear you all on the bigger is better but I decided to go with the Dt2 bag and the large high camp bag. The dt2 will be plenty big enough for my needs and when I take the fam I will use the high camp bag. Thanks all for the input. One pack here I come!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
The cargo chair/panel has its place but you may find the Grab-it to be a more dynamic addition to your new system if you have not purchased it already.

Okay, here is what I decided. I hear you all on the bigger is better but I decided to go with the Dt2 bag and the large high camp bag. The dt2 will be plenty big enough for my needs and when I take the fam I will use the high camp bag. Thanks all for the input. One pack here I come!

isn't this still 2 packs?

OP
dreamingbig
Ha ha! Only 1 per trip though and they share the same frame. I was mostly trying to stop lugging a day pack into the backcountry.

To answer this very question, I preordered the Kuiu Icon 1850 fully loaded as well.

Previously I used the J104, T2, and Icon 5000, but they were all overkill on volume for the day trips. Of those, I liked the Icon 2012 frame on the 5000 the best, and am looking forward to getting the improved 2013 version on the Icon 1850.

Thought about the Kifaru Bikini and Stone Glacier too, although I did not try them out. To each his own.

to each his own is right... I am not sure i could fit all my day stuff in a 1900 CI pack, let alone multiple night trip. He was carrying an empty pack with 2200 CI already as an extra. Dont see how the 1850 would work for this guy at all unless he wanted to sandwich a ton of stuff between the frame and bag....

Joe

That's the idea - boned out animals and full pack trips in/out of backcountry use the frame sling or whatever it is called. You only need that thing a couple times per backpacking trip. Otherwise you have a mean day pack. I will to test it out at the Western Hunting Expo next week. The advantage in theory is there. In practice, we shall see.

Ha ha! Only 1 per trip though and they share the same frame. I was mostly trying to stop lugging a day pack into the backcountry.

The two options for bags you chose are excellent. I think you will have a killer setup and will benefit yourself in the long run.

OP
dreamingbig
to each his own is right... I am not sure i could fit all my day stuff in a 1900 CI pack, let alone multiple night trip. He was carrying an empty pack with 2200 CI already as an extra. Dont see how the 1850 would work for this guy at all unless he wanted to sandwich a ton of stuff between the frame and bag....

Joe
. The x2 was fully loaded and carried with the duplex frame and cargo panel. Not dumb enough to carry an empty x2! ;)