Pad for quilts

I think I am going to try a quilt this year for my early season hunts. For those of you with quilt experience, at what temp would I need to start using an insulated pad?

Add it and be done with it...

Water proof foam and edges on bottom,,, cheap open cell polyurethane foam on the top.

Use water proof cover over that so it can breath... moisture out is the best bang for your buck.

Don

You asked about quilting this year and a pad to sit on...

Was your intention to add the sitting pad to your quilting project ¿¿¿ Ha

tdot

WKR
I think I am going to try a quilt this year for my early season hunts. For those of you with quilt experience, at what temp would I need to start using an insulated pad?

I use an insulated pad for all temps. But I have a summer pad and winter pad. I like having some type of thermal break between myself and the ground. Would just as easily have just the winter pad. There isnt a negative, that I've found, other then a few ounces.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend an insulated pad regardless of the temps, unless it's summer and it hot. The Klymit Insulated Lite weighs only 18oz, and has an R value of 4.4, and isn't that expensive. For early season, you should probably get a pad with an R value of 3 or greater.

I slept on a closed cell foam Z-lite pad in the 20's with my quilt. It had an R value of 2.6, and was able to sleep, but I woke up a bunch. I was much happier when I got above R4.

OP
MuleyFever
I use an xtherm now. I was thinking I could save a little weight for early season when it’s still warm. I definitely want an inflatable for comfort.

gldenhwk

FNG
I use my sleeping bag like one with it unzipped as i move in my sleep (going to be buying a quilt soon though) so similar concept as what you are saying .. I live in Alberta so -10C in the summer is not unheard of in the mountains .. several mornings have frost on the ground so I've only run an insulated pad .. backpacking with the wife last year we woke up to 3" of snow the second week of August .. for the few ounces weight penalty I've never lacked by having the extra insulation .. on the days it is warmer out it helped to keep me cooler so that's a bonus ..

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Can one of y’all that have had experience with quilts and pads provide a link for a good budget quilt and a good budget pad. I live in Western Kentucky, so we have a pretty moderate temp. Thanks, Bo

I use an xtherm now. I was thinking I could save a little weight for early season when it’s still warm. I definitely want an inflatable for comfort.

Great thing about quilts is you can regulate the heat much better if you get hot sleeping. Id use the xtherm unless your wanting to save weight then Just grab a neoair. Ive used 10*quilt with the neo air into the 20’s and been good sleeping in a lite base layer and im a cold sleeper.

LitenFast

WKR
I just bought a xlite after using my xtherm for the last few years, threw it on the scale to compare. Both the large size
Xtherm 19 oz
Xlite 17oz
So much for saving weight, I guess my wallet is lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I agree with R3 comment. Personally if I am not expecting temps below 35 40ish ish I would go with the lightest wide pad I could find with an R value about 3 give or take.

tdot

WKR

I'm using an Exped Synmat (R=3), on my scale its 15 ounces and it has enough insulation that I can sleep on it comfortably as temps approach freezing. I forget the name, but its Orange. My winter pad is a red Synmat (R=5) and its 19 ounces.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

Thermarest recently updated the NeoAir Xlite and it's got a listed R value of 4.2 now. Which is pretty awesome for a 12oz pad.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget and what temps do you think you'll find yourself in?
I’m going to buy a quilt from hang tight shop on Etsy, they make some awesome quilts for very cheap. I have two of the old therm are still that are a wide rectangle. But, they are bulky and are heavy. I’m just looking for a fairly lightweight and packable pad. This year our lowest temp was 30 in the middle of winter. But, I want a pad that I can use year round. Spring and fall it’s normally around 50 but in ky it will be 80 one day and snowing the next lol. Summer it’s normally 80-90

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking up Thermarest pad and found this site called Steep and Cheap powered by backcountry. They have amazing prices, and the Neolithic lite is only 100$. Have any of y’all bought from their?

Trial153

WKR
I was looking up Thermarest pad and found this site called Steep and Cheap powered by backcountry. They have amazing prices, and the Neolithic lite is only 100$. Have any of y’all bought from their?
I have bought from steep and cheep without any issue. Just watch the shipping charges sometimes