Pad Recommendation

tracker12

WKR
I just turned 69 and I cant still hike and climb as well as I ever had. That being said my hips still sow there age and I have a hard time sleeping on the ground. Thinking I might need to go to a blow up pad.

By the way I am a side sleeper

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
I have a sea to summit comfort plus, it’s apt better than the Xtherm for sleeping on my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage99

WKR
I’m a big guy and side sleeper…

Big Agnes Insulated AXL, 3.5” thick

It’s treated me well

You using this with a BA bag (with pad sleeve) or a regular/mummy?

Savage99

WKR
25”x78” pad with Whiskey or Anvil Park BA bag(both have sleeve and are 80” wide!!! , vs 72” “wide” bags

Nice! I’m going to be trying out a long/wide echo park 0 degree with an exped downmat 9 (7.8 r-value). You ever been cold with those setups?

Nice! I’m going to be trying out a long/wide echo park 0 degree with an exped downmat 9 (7.8 r-value). You ever been cold with those setups?

BA Whiskey Park w Insulated AXL on a Cot kept me Warm during November elk season. I did purchase an 30” exped for my cot, though

Hoeger

FNG
I have a sea to summit comfort plus, it’s apt better than the Xtherm for sleeping on my side.

I just got a heck of a deal in the dent bin at my local REI. $75 for a once used pad, the stuff sack was ripped but other than that it was mint. So excited to try it out.

cmahoney

WKR
I just got a heck of a deal in the dent bin at my local REI. $75 for a once used pad, the stuff sack was ripped but other than that it was mint. So excited to try it out.

Awesome, mines been great since I got it in 18.

Seeknelk

WKR
I just turned 69 and I cant still hike and climb as well as I ever had. That being said my hips still sow there age and I have a hard time sleeping on the ground. Thinking I might need to go to a blow up pad.

By the way I am a side sleeper
I'm a side sleeper, 5-10, 265#. I get tight, sore hips after long marches in especially with heavy pack. I just went to the sea to summit ether xt extreme. Slept with just my quilt in the low 20s one night. Was toasty.
Has a dang good r value and is 4 inches thick with nifty pillow keepers. ( Pillow keepers were something I liked and appreciated way more than I thought I would.)
What also helps keep my hips feeling better as a side sleeper is making a pillow, (sitka Kelvin puffy in its stuff sack) to put between my knees. Helps ease tension. Dig a little dip in the duff were hips are also.

Nuther EXPED vet...many of the others will let you down, literally. Big Agness and others have histories of valve leakage and weak seams. A 3.5" thick, LW EXPED is heavier but worth the slight weight and cost penalty. Ask anyone who has ever had a mattress go flat on them, "What would you pay for a quality matt right now?" That's the wrong time to realize a good night's sleep is priceless.