Paddle Boards

bz_711

WKR
Totally unrelated to hunting...but this site has been so helpful on any question I've ever posted...

Curious if anyone has any tips/advice on purchasing a stand up paddle board?

I've been eyeing them as a great cross training work out...and so happens we're moving next door to a lake next month. It addition we have a trip planned to the gulf coast this summer with family so I'd like to bring it along.

Few questions:
-Solid vs. inflatable?
-best size (I'm 5'10" 170lbs, but I expect a good portion of use will be by my kids as well aged 13 and under)
-models/brands you'd recommend? (being a first and not knowing how much will get used, would like to keep price under $400 which I know limits me, but willing to go more if highly recommended)

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

they are really popular here. i never got into them but a lots of guys like them cuz you can catch lots of waves esp if its small. i always thought of them as a crutch for guys who couldnt catch waves heh. they are nice as you can cruise around with the direction of the wind and still get a core workout if the waves are flat. i would rent one first and see if you like it if you can. also check craigslist for used ones. also if you are a cotsco member our costco here sells them maybe the one near you sells them? i know they have some on the costco website. you can buy from there and if you dont like it just return it to the store no questions asked. id think something in the 9-12' range would be fine for lake cruising. i always prefer bigger surfboards as they are more bouyant and paddle easier same concept with sups

Don't have a SUP but they look like fun, I have a kayak for each of us, wife and kids, it's a lot of fun and you will feel the burn in the shoudlers and your core ! Plus mine have rod holders and a water tight compartment so I fish out of it and can take extra gear. Not really helpfull in answerign your question but youi might get a lot of use out of a kayak. I have used mine hunting too, gets you into places silently.

I built one back in 08 of so for outer reef waves and down winding swells. Like any other exercise equipment you only get out what you put in. I still enjoy them occasionally on glassy days checking out sea life or fishing and surfing.

To be honest goin hard a sup tweaks my back and knees so it's just recreation for me.

Don't buy an inflatable one. Don't buy a surf one if you want to just cruise them an don't buy a racing one if you don't have the room.

But all in all for a few hundred bucks to throw it on the side of the garage and use it 5 times a year it's ok.