Pagosa Springs area hunting

GusF16

FNG
I'm looking for new hunting ground further south in CO. I've been hunting Unit 5 north of Steamboat for the last 12 years and it seems it's been discovered. Plus the drive is killing me from Phoenix! I've mapped out some promising areas northwest of Pagosa Springs, but I'm unfamiliar with the area. I've hunted NE of Durango a couple of times, but it's difficult without horses. I spoke to the SE area elk biologists and they said the southern herds have been in decline for several years. Other than that they weren't very helpful. Is anyone familiar with that area just south of the Weminuche Wilderness area, I believe it's area 77? Is it popular with outfitters...etc?? Thanks for any info.

hunting1

WKR
It is popular with everyone from Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and NM to name a few. Pretty country though. I hunted closer over toward Durango but same vicinity. You can get away and see elk but be prepared for miles.

Poser

WKR
We had a big storm during 3rd rifle last year. I wasn’t seeing any mule deer so drove over to Wolf Creek for a day of snowboarding. On the drive back to Durango through unit 77 late in the day, I was shocked at the amount of hunters parked along Hwy 160. 15-20 vehicles at every access point. More Texas plates than I could count. The unfortunate thing about that entire area, besides too many people, is too many roads and too many trails. I did some sept bear hunting over there and nothing was very inspiring about it.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I wouldn’t go to Pagosa if your worried that steamboat “got discovered”. That’s mountain elk hunting in OTC anywhere….and 77 went to draw so I’m assuming your picking up a leftover or grabbed a tag?

Drew a tag there this year myself! What season did you get? I’ll be going September archery.. hopefully I can pass along some information when I get back.

Elk hunting has been changing. It's been happening for a while, but it seems lately it's hand over fist changes.

Every area is crowded, you are going to need to learn to deal with it.

I'm curious how you have hunted 5 for the past 12 years since it's a draw unit, I suspect your question is more, where can I hunt and still routinely draw a tag?

Dozen years ago limited areas weren't bad as it didn't have the demand, now just like otc, the demand has changed. It's just what it is.

I honestly cringe when I read posts like this, not aimed at the op, but understand, everytime you post things like this it just draws more attention, leads to more crowding. The reason you aren't wanting to hunt an area you are bringing to another. Can likely spend some time searching to find your answers.

bozeman

WKR
Now EVERYONE knows about an area just south of the Weimenuche.......we go to Pagosa for vacation some, its a neat little town. ALOT of hikers and come Sept add in the hunters. Good luck.....but be prepared.

Gerbdog

WKR
I Also head down to Pagosa pretty often for snowboarding, hiking, fishing and yea ive done some scouting to. Girlfriend loves the area, i cant see the draw of it over every other mountain town but that doesnt really matter. That town is BUSY basically all times of the year, although i havent been smart enough to head down there for hunting season specifically ... i imagine its full up. As others have pointed out its a favorite location for NM, TX, OK, KS, etc. I do hunt that general section of the state and just like .... basically anywhere in CO, if you look hard enough there are elk around.

I Also head down to Pagosa pretty often for snowboarding, hiking, fishing and yea ive done some scouting to. Girlfriend loves the area, i cant see the draw of it over every other mountain town but that doesnt really matter. That town is BUSY basically all times of the year, although i havent been smart enough to head down there for hunting season specifically ... i imagine its full up. As others have pointed out its a favorite location for NM, TX, OK, KS, etc. I do hunt that general section of the state and just like .... basically anywhere in CO, if you look hard enough there are elk around.

Isn't that where the bow and board shop place is?

It had a dog laying in the doorway, ski stuff on one side, hunting on the other. Kinda neat, seems like it needed a starbucks tho too.

Gerbdog

WKR
Isn't that where the bow and board shop place is?

It had a dog laying in the doorway, ski stuff on one side, hunting on the other. Kinda neat, seems like it needed a starbucks tho too.
Yea i think so, ive never been in there honestly but i recall the ski and archery shop being there at the one end of town

rayporter

WKR
on my first trip there, going north on the Piedra rd, town basically stopped at the airport. now town goes on for miles clear to the NF boundary.

BBob

WKR
That corner of CO was discovered and overrun long ago and most I know that used to hunt it abandoned it years ago. They now go further and do longer drives like you going to Steamboat or elsewhere. As said in previous posts CO has been discovered and getting overrun everywhere. The hikes and miles going in have certainly gotten longer and harder to avoid people the last few years.

Poser

WKR
A high end real estate acquaintance of mine mentioned that there is an unusual vacancy of high end equestrian estates in Pagosa right now. I’m talking multi million dollar estates built by and for Texans who truck their $$$ horses up for the summer. Apparently, a bunch of these places have hit the market and there are no buyers. Some of them are being creatively marketed for purposes other than horses (not sure what that would be when you have a $250,000 barn on the property) , but still aren’t moving. If you want a piece of prime 4th rifle real estate, step right up and lay down your 15 million dollars.

Poser

WKR
That's what it was. Weird mix. Around here the bow shops are a redneck spot. That place was like if I had a shop along with my better half.

Not saying it's bad, just different.

Makes sense. 2 highly season shops. Archery keeps them busy through the summer and fall, ski gear for Nov-May. I always tell people that early May at Wolf Creek is when you should
Plan your family ski vacation -it’s warm, the snow is soft and hotels and VRBOs are cheaper.

The main hot springs there, despite being a tourist spot, is actually a super cool set up complete with a Tiki bar. Some of the pools are literally in the river.

Makes sense. 2 highly season shops. Archery keeps them busy through the summer and fall, ski gear for Nov-May. I always tell people that early May at Wolf Creek is when you should
Plan your family ski vacation -it’s warm, the snow is soft and hotels and VRBOs are cheaper.

The main hot springs there, despite being a tourist spot, is actually a super cool set up complete with a Tiki bar. Some of the pools are literally in the river.

Yeah, I definitely realized it was a good overlap, but also means you need to clear out space quickly.

Our ski shops are pool stores too or bicycle.

Our Archery shops stay pretty busy year round, or busy enough.