Pagosa Springs area hunting

Poser

WKR
Yeah, I definitely realized it was a good overlap, but also means you need to clear out space quickly.

Our ski shops are pool stores too or bicycle.

Our Archery shops stay pretty busy year round, or busy enough.

We have a new ski shop in town that also sells patio furniture. My mountain town business idea is that you would open a ski/bike tuning/repair shop with a circular bar around the work stations.

We have a new ski shop in town that also sells patio furniture. My mountain town business idea is that you would open a ski/bike tuning/repair shop with a circular bar around the work stations.

Seems the best idea for a mountain town business is to sell beer and pizza.

The school house brings in bikers, skiers, and hunters.

Poser

WKR
Seems the best idea for a mountain town business is to sell beer and pizza.

The school house brings in bikers, skiers, and hunters.

You talking about Ole School House? Pretty sure the Nugget Bar has usurped them with the extensive patio and overpriced, meager-portioned food truck.

You talking about Ole School House? Pretty sure the Nugget Bar has usurped them with the extensive patio and overpriced, meager-portioned food truck.

Yeah, that's the place. With all the dollars on the wall.

Always went there atleast once per trip to wait 2 hours for a pizza.

Haven't been to the nugget bar.

Years ago the topless limbo at 1am was the highlight, it's not what it used to be.

There used to be a Christy Sports in Golden that was a ski shop in winter and sold patio furniture by summer. I remember being really disappointed once when I went in looking for a new helmet or something and all they had was an incredible selection of Adirondack chairs.

big44a4

WKR
A high end real estate acquaintance of mine mentioned that there is an unusual vacancy of high end equestrian estates in Pagosa right now. I’m talking multi million dollar estates built by and for Texans who truck their $$$ horses up for the summer. Apparently, a bunch of these places have hit the market and there are no buyers. Some of them are being creatively marketed for purposes other than horses (not sure what that would be when you have a $250,000 barn on the property) , but still aren’t moving. If you want a piece of prime 4th rifle real estate, step right up and lay down your 15 million dollars.

I know some people that bought 2 ranches up there in the past year. The 2nd one was bigger. Won’t use it for any serious hunting as that’s a separate fund.

azexp

FNG
A high end real estate acquaintance of mine mentioned that there is an unusual vacancy of high end equestrian estates in Pagosa right now. I’m talking multi million dollar estates built by and for Texans who truck their $$$ horses up for the summer. Apparently, a bunch of these places have hit the market and there are no buyers. Some of them are being creatively marketed for purposes other than horses (not sure what that would be when you have a $250,000 barn on the property) , but still aren’t moving. If you want a piece of prime 4th rifle real estate, step right up and lay down your 15 million dollars.
If a handful of you are looking for these $15MM ranchettes that @Poser referenced ...PM and I will represent you in the transaction. :cool:🏕️

Bearshirt

FNG
I have hunted this unit a bit the last 10 years or so and the elk population in that time has dropped a lot. Calf recruitment is down around or below 30% which is real low. Elk numbers over all are low. We find elk sometimes but we havent seen herds in some time. If we see more than 5 in a group we consider it a big group of elk. There are elk there to hunt but its a lot of walking to find them unless you get lucky. Since there are fewer they get pushed around more since hunters are more transient in looking for them. Its steep in some places and real steep in most places.
That side of the divide gets rain almost every day in the mountains so be prepared to get rained, hailed or snowed on or lightenind on every day around 3 pm. Some times it lasts an hour and some times it goes all night.

Lost of clay roads that when they get real wet get slicker then snot too. So bring a tent you might have to camp at your truck instead driving out.

Lots of tourist in this area too. They are mostly on the trails though.

Lots and lots of bear in this area too. We usually see more bears than elk.

I have met a few locals over the years and they seem to be having a hard time finding elk too.

Last year we talked to a sheep outfitter that is a friend of a friend who spent 6 days up high glassing for a client with a sheep tag and he seen 4 cow elk by them selves and that was in 6 days of glassing up high.

I would find another unit if I was starting over. We consider it every year since it gets worse every year instead of better. Just tough to start over with all the contacts and connections we have made in the area. We have covered and gotten to know A LOT of ground in that area too. We go for 8-9 days of hunting and can cover 8-12 miles or more every day until we find them.
oh its been dry (50 year drought kinda thing) a lot there too last few years so streams we used to get water out of are bone dry even digging them out in low spots, we cant camp there any more since we would have to pack in water.

Down low there is cattle every where too.

Beautiful country though :) good luck!

I believe what people echo on here for years. Almost everywhere in Colorado has hunters. Now with that being said, being a national forest whitetail hunter, business as usual.

bozeman

WKR
Unit info police are out. It’s public land and on a public forum, get over it already……..

Reactions: 9.1

OkieElk

FNG
I hunted that exact area several years ago. It is quite packed, the first day up I couldn’t find a place to park at multiple entry points. There are a couple outfitters 5-6 miles in especially around the divide. I did not see a lot of elk when I was there. Obviously there are elk there, but the hide well in steep, timbered terrain and tend to be call shy. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GusF16

FNG
Elk hunting has been changing. It's been happening for a while, but it seems lately it's hand over fist changes.

Every area is crowded, you are going to need to learn to deal with it.

I'm curious how you have hunted 5 for the past 12 years since it's a draw unit, I suspect your question is more, where can I hunt and still routinely draw a tag?

Dozen years ago limited areas weren't bad as it didn't have the demand, now just like otc, the demand has changed. It's just what it is.

I honestly cringe when I read posts like this, not aimed at the op, but understand, everytime you post things like this it just draws more attention, leads to more crowding. The reason you aren't wanting to hunt an area you are bringing to another. Can likely spend some time searching to find your answers.

OP
G

GusF16

FNG
I didn’t mean to offend anyone by asking that question. There’s a lot of country up there, and yes a lot of hunters. For the record, I put boots on the ground there in Aug for several days. I don’t ask someone else to do my homework, but this is a forum of like minded folks and I was just looking some general thoughts. That area up north is only draw for 1st rifle and cows. If I don’t get the cow tag I buy a bull tag. If AZ wasn’t so stingy honestly I’d stick to hunting locally, but it is what it is. Thanks for the info and apologize if I offended anyone.
Good hunting.