Paid load development flop, wwyd?

tntrker

WKR
I purchased a custom rifle and 250 "custom rounds with 1,000yrds ballistics data" for $500 extra. I was told they ONLY use Bergers 215gr for their 300wms and that sounded good to me. Before the rifle came, they were short 100 rounds and asked if I could wait a month, which was cool by me. When I received the ammo, it was not Bergers 215gr and no ballistics build data with ammo. When I asked about it and the ammo, I was told "the range guy didn't have enough time to verify my rifle with a custom build so they used one onhand with a differant bullet than Bergers. When I questioned futher I was sent a screen shot off the website of the production ballistics data off of the bullet chart, not a "worked load". This did not sit well with me and I refused to pay the remaining 50% of balance until I received that info. I was told to mail the rifle back and they would "try to get it done quickly. That didn't sit well either so the balance was paid minus their "1,000 yrd load development"fee....This was the last string of issues I had with them. I got a good rifle, but not what I wanted/ordered after months of changes in barrel & stock supply issues, which were all in stock when I ordered...Not sure if this is standarded in a custom purchase, but they sent my rifle back in a rifle case and I had to pay shipping to send 'their shop" case back to them...

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Sounds like the type of guy I’d like to work with! Minus the part about someone else doing my load development. A lot is learned going through the process about that specific gun. Make sure you let us know how it ends up!!!
I’ve done it multiple times on my own. It has nothing to do with learning. I love learning. I’m highly analytical by nature. It’s all the guesswork and trial and error that is frustrating to me. If there were some formula to determine what bullets or powders will work ahead of time, without all the testing and experimentation, I’d probably enjoy it more. But to drive over an hour to the range each way, only to find that a load or component is not going to work, and have to do that multiple times to finally find what works, is just annoying. I don’t mind reloading, once I have a recipe, I just don’t like all the tinkering that’s rooted in guesswork to find the secret sauce.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve done it multiple times on my own. It has nothing to do with learning. I love learning. I’m highly analytical by nature. It’s all the guesswork and trial and error that is frustrating to me. If there were some formula to determine what bullets or powders will work ahead of time, without all the testing and experimentation, I’d probably enjoy it more. But to drive over an hour to the range each way, only to find that a load or component is not going to work, and have to do that multiple times to finally find what works, is just annoying. I don’t mind reloading, once I have a recipe, I just don’t like all the tinkering that’s rooted in guesswork to find the secret sauce.
I know what you mean! It’s 1:30 each way for me. I’m heading out this afternoon for my first ladder test. It’s a commitment to a minimum of 4 trips to the range. If I was smart, and apparently I’m not, I would bring my reloading gear and a full day and knock the whole deal out in one trip. It wouldn’t be that hard, my truck even has a 3 prong outlet in the bed. Not sure why I’m not!

And my comment about learning was more about the gun. I like knowing where I hit pressure, how it responds to different seating depths, etc. it seems to help when I start having issues or a gun that comes out of a node. Usually I know where to go based on what it liked and didn’t.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I know what you mean! It’s 1:30 each way for me. I’m heading out this afternoon for my first ladder test. It’s a commitment to a minimum of 4 trips to the range. If I was smart, and apparently I’m not, I would bring my reloading gear and a full day and knock the whole deal out in one trip. It wouldn’t be that hard, my truck even has a 3 prong outlet in the bed. Not sure why I’m not!

And my comment about learning was more about the gun. I like knowing where I hit pressure, how it responds to different seating depths, etc. it seems to help when I start having issues or a gun that comes out of a node. Usually I know where to go based on what it liked and didn’t.
I hear ya. I understand how the load testing process can form an intimate level of knowledge with your rifle, but truthfully, I feel like I’m beyond that point. I understand what all those things mean and how to identify them, so for $500 I can pay someone else to find all that out for me and provide that information to me either in a conversation or in writing. My time is worth far more than that.

If you live that far from a range something has gone horribly wrong in your life!
😂 🤣

Seriously though. I could see how that would make load development a real PITA.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you live that far from a range something has gone horribly wrong in your life!
😂 🤣

Seriously though. I could see how that would make load development a real PITA.
There’s a range 15 minutes away. Or I can go 1:30 and I can shoot as many miles as I want and there isn’t another person in ear shot of me. I always choose 1:30 range!

Here’s a picture from this afternoon! It’s so peaceful out there. The meadowlarks we’re going crazy all afternoon.

Attachments

• E208B90A-8B99-4470-8683-6AB1490E69A2.jpeg
    E208B90A-8B99-4470-8683-6AB1490E69A2.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 51

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
So curious minds would like to know if this mystery ever got solved?