pain in the neck

As others have mentioned the places that show pain are not always the problem. It took me 3 is years to get it figured out. Bad posture I found out is a cause and an effect of my shoulder injuries. Also because no one ever told me I was doing it wrong my core got weaker, attempting to keep my shoulders engaged I was swaybacking and disengaging my core. So my trainer is now focusing on making my body work the way it’s supposed to first then rebuilding the surgery/injury area.

OP
coyotecreek
I scheduled a consultation with a physical therapist next week. Hoping to figure a few things out

Last edited:

fj40mike

FNG
Good luck, I hope they can help you out. I too have had neck pain for many years, especially while carrying a pack. I can echo much of the advice already given- the most helpful being use of an inversion table and focusing on workouts that target core muscles. Physical therapy helped me as well, and identified some stretches to relieve pain. This may sound silly, but trying different pillows also helped quite a bit too, in my case using a much firmer pillow. I think that sleeping on a overly soft pillow for 8 hrs left my neck strained by morning, and then more susceptible to injury throughout the day.

I also put a bit of effort into keeping my pack as light as possible....

Last edited:
OP
coyotecreek
I did 6 weeks of PT back in the spring, changed pillows and continue my PT at home. I rarely have neck issues any more. Building strength and flexibility in my problem areas has helped tremendously. Thanks!