Painful knees

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
So the older I get the more my knees hurt. I am 54 and 6 ft 192 lbs pretty active. Hunting big country whitetails elk trapping etc. Most days I find the Advil first thing in the morning. Any exercisers to help knee pain with maybe a touch of arthritis out there ?

*zap*

WKR
Sure, you can rejuvenate your knees in a few years by doing specific exercises for them or you can not do that and they will continue to get worse.

Make sure your walking right and not landing on your heels.
Lunges, bulgarian split squats, behind the neck full (to the floor) squats, bike, step ups-graduate to weighted step ups. Best to get a trainer to line you out on form from day 1.

Good video on this:
watch this

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Less body weight goes a long ways as we age especially in difficult country and simply day to day, the exercises noted above staying active stretching and possibly some joint related supplements may help....good luck getting old is a bitch🤙

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same knee issues. I found that taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin (triple strength) and adding some naproxen (Alieve) as needed keeps my knee pain away. I also try to hike a few times each week which seems to help as well.

We’re getting old.... Good luck!

Knew a guy that had to have a knee replaced because of arthritis. He was in his eighties and was on medication that had to be constantly upped in strength because the effects didn’t last. He started drinking 1/2 of a cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in a full glass of water with every meal. He was off all arthritis medication a month later. I am not saying this is a solution just telling you what he did. He also pointed out that the countries that have the least arthritis are the ones that consume the most red wine. I have always kept this in mind for when I have joint problems. ( unfortunately getting very close)

I am going in for an MRI on both of mine. I switched insurance companies, otherwise I would have already had arthroscopic surgery. Get a referral to an orthopedist so hopefully you can find out exactly what is going on.

OXN939

WKR
So the older I get the more my knees hurt. I am 54 and 6 ft 192 lbs pretty active. Hunting big country whitetails elk trapping etc. Most days I find the Advil first thing in the morning. Any exercisers to help knee pain with maybe a touch of arthritis out there ?

The above suggestions are all great ways to go if your pain is manageable. If you have real, serious chondromalacia, though, the way to manage it is PRP. The results usually end up being a step below a knee replacement, and it's much less invasive.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
The vegetable based Glucosamine has been magic for me for 20 years! Had my left knee scoped twice and no pain unless I go off it. The combo with Chondroitin gave me a bad gut.

IrishnId

WKR
Just had arthroscopic done yesterday. Ridiculous but it already feels better than it did yesterday morning. Hopefully cleaning out the floaters helped. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AKSandman

FNG
@cbat
I am no doctor, so I obviously don’t know what is causing your pain, but you might take a look at floss bands. I know for certain causes of knee pain they work wonders!

brocksw

WKR
I'm not as old as you so this may not work for you. But for me, I tore up one of my knees playing football and that knee is somewhat arthritic now (I'm 35). One thing that I started doing that had a dramatic impact on my knee was riding bicycle. The wife and I started taking the kids bike riding for 5 to 11 miles almost 5 days a week during the summer and my knee gives me no problems going into fall. The first summer we did that my knee felt better than it did in quite some time.

Losing a little weight in the summer always helps too but I really do feel like putting some low impact miles on bike while strengthening all those muscles around the knee was a huge help. A marked improvement on steep descents in particular.

DocMilo

FNG
Several things I can think of...
1.Ride a bike a few times a week. seat high. toe strapped in. work on the circle of effort, push pull, etc. 2o minutes twice a week.
2. strengthen your hamstrings
3. strengthen your medial quads and adductors
4. support your arches
5. I may be biased, but after 28 years of easy fixes of this? get checked by a chiro who specializes in knees and feet. ask them to check those and level your pelvis.
6. I have this killer balm... which I am not here to tell you about... it's the Balm! its a miracle potion.

pc3

WKR
Sure, you can rejuvenate your knees in a few years by doing specific exercises for them or you can not do that and they will continue to get worse.

Make sure your walking right and not landing on your heels.
Lunges, bulgarian split squats, behind the neck full (to the floor) squats, bike, step ups-graduate to weighted step ups. Best to get a trainer to line you out on form from day 1.

Good video on this:
watch this
He is spot on.......proper squats to parallel will strengthen your knee's much of the discomfort that modern humans experience is a result of "sleepy glutes" or weak glute muscles getting strong glutes will go a long way to alleviate back/knee issues.

I'd also add in some reverse hyper extensions if you can, Rogue make a portable version "westside scout Hyper" I have a reverse hyper at home now and not only does my back feel stronger/better my numbers have risen slightly on both squat and deadlift.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I have bad knees also, and I know running 3 miles 6 days a week isn’t helpful on them, but it’s the only way I can keep my weight down and still enjoy eating moderately. Like mentioned above Yoga helps. I also go and get steroid shots about every 6 months.

OOSWLC

FNG
i've been a strength coach for the past decade and currently work with multiple people in the 60-75 age range. i also work with young high level olympic weightlifters, and everything in between. here are some anecdotal facts that i've learned through working with tons of people (across the whole spectrum of age/athletic ability) that have chronic joint pain...

1. you have to start stretching. period. if your knees hurt a good place to start would be quad, hamstring, and calf stretches - but my guess is your whole body needs it. i'm a big fan of "yoga with kassandra" on youtube because her specific style of yoga works well with active lifestyles and she also cues what you should be doing really well. it's also easier to follow a 20min video than trying to fill that time yourself. it's so common for people to stretch for ~5 minutes, 1-3x per week, and come out of it saying, "ehh, yeah, stretching doesn't really seem to work for me." - i think it's safe to say literally nothing would progress if that were all the time you put into it.

2. go back and read number one. seriously. if you don't start stretching you're going to end up getting cortisol shots that will work for a short amount of time, or a surgery that will work for a moderate amount of time. either way if you don't start habits for joint care you're going to find yourself right back in the same position with the same pain in relatively short order.

3. start strength training including deadlifts and squats to strengthen your joints, but make sure your form and movement are sound so that you're helping your knees. i have found that when you are trying to improve joint/muscle pain and also trying to balance a limited training schedule, an effective balance of time spent strength training to stretching is 1:1

3. aleve over advil. naproxen sodium is much more effective for joint pain than ibuprofen.

4. glucosamine chondroitin is GREAT - but it is only meant to be used in short-term stretches as needed (usually no longer than 7 days). if you use it every day it will stop working.

...stretching sucks. bad. it's boring and it hurts. i have a play on the famous ronnie coleman quote that i always use with my clients that, "everybody wants to lift heavy weights but don't nobody want to stretch after"

like everything worth doing, it's hard to make yourself do in the beginning and it requires a lot of intention and focus that you're probably not used to giving. if you do nothing else but you do start stretching religiously your entire life will change. you'll age better, get hurt later, and keep doing what you love longer.