Painless load development (mine)

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus, what would you say are a couple examples of chamberings that are finicky vs unfussy?

Anything with body taper and long sloping shoulders will tend to grow. Anything with minimal taper, sharp shoulders, etc. will tend not to.

Growers- 220swift, 243, 270, 30-06, lots of magnums, etc.

Ones that don’t grow much- anything AI’d, all the creedmoors, 6XC, 6 dasher etc, all the PRC’s, Norma mags are pretty decent, etc.

A lot depends on your reloading practices, I shoot a 22/250 a LOT which is just about the worst stretcher of them all
I neck size using a collet die and don’t get stretch or have to trim

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Say someone did want a 30 cal as an option for some hunts. Are you a 30-06, 300WM, WSM, Norma Mag, etc. fan or any compelling reason to take one over the other?

There are certainly situations for big guns, just not in light rifles to me. In a Tikka 300WSM of course. If not a Tikka, 300PRC or Norma. Really it depends on how much velocity you need.

I followed Form’s procedure here with a rifle I’ve never loaded for. 10 shots into 1.1”. Rather than mess around, I’m going to load the next 90 pieces of brass I prepped with the same load and get to shooting.

Attachments

• FFAE96AD-F5D7-4691-8681-9070C9F1BC77.jpeg
    FFAE96AD-F5D7-4691-8681-9070C9F1BC77.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
But have you considered adding increments of 0.1gr to see if it'll dO SuB MoA aLL DaYyyyy...

(Nice shooting.)

I followed Form’s procedure here with a rifle I’ve never loaded for. 10 shots into 1.1”. Rather than mess around, I’m going to load the next 90 pieces of brass I prepped with the same load and get to shooting.

gman82001

Lil-Rokslider
Read the entire thread and it’s honestly mind blowing since I taught myself how to reload from manuals and videos over the last 15 years. I have 2 new guns I’ll be doing this style load development for 7mm Rem mag browning speed long range and a christenson mpr steel barrel 308.

I’m assuming since we’re talking about stretching cases and what not that you are only full length sizing each time and not just neck sizing and bumping back shoulders?

Thanks so much for this thread I can’t wait to put it into practice

Read the entire thread and it’s honestly mind blowing since I taught myself how to reload from manuals and videos over the last 15 years. I have 2 new guns I’ll be doing this style load development for 7mm Rem mag browning speed long range and a christenson mpr steel barrel 308.

I’m assuming since we’re talking about stretching cases and what not that you are only full length sizing each time and not just neck sizing and bumping back shoulders?

Thanks so much for this thread I can’t wait to put it into practice

What’s the difference between a case FL sized to bump the shoulder 2 or 3 thou and one neck sized and shoulder bumped the same distance in separate steps?

Only thing I can think of is that the case body size would be different.
I've never owned anything but FL sizing dies, are there different dies for shoulder bumping and body sizing? I'd have guessed bumping a shoulder without being tight or also sizing the body could result in some funny things happening to the case body.

Maybe this is another case of someone assuming that "FL sizing" means bottoming out a FL die in the press and squeezing it down to min spec again.

Last edited:
I've never owned anything but FL sizing dies, are there different dies for shoulder bumping and body sizing? I'd have guessed bumping a shoulder without being tight or also sizing the body could result in some funny things happening to the case body.

Maybe this is another case of someone assuming that "FL sizing" means bottoming out a FL die in the press and squeezing it down to min spec again.
You can bump a shoulder in any sizing die. The type of die depends on how the case body will be or not be effected, or to what degree. I've used Forster bushing bump dies and gone 6 firings before I had to actually bump the shoulder back a full .002.

prm

WKR
Since the rifle is proven to shoot a variety of loads well, I’d say odds are high it will shoot that well. Why some rifles are seemingly finicky is a topic for another thread.

In determining length, is your priority touching lands, max mag, then boattail to bottom of neck? By touching, do you mean just touching, or do you bias a little off or in?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Since the rifle is proven to shoot a variety of loads well, I’d say odds are high it will shoot that well. Why some rifles are seemingly finicky is a topic for another thread.

In determining length, is your priority touching lands, max mag, then boattail to bottom of neck? By touching, do you mean just touching, or do you bias a little off or in?

I do not worry about distance to lands. If their are multiple rifles of the same chambering, I make it fit in all of them. I am not generally going to have “special” loads for each gun- I shoot too much for that nonsense. I also don’t touch land nor do I want to be even close to them. Field guns need some margin for error, and getting a bullet stuck in the lands and powder dropped everywhere isn’t my idea of fun.

For this I will seat the boat tail at the neck/shoulder junction though it probably won’t matter.