pains of the terrible 2's

TheGDog

WKR
My kids know if I said I'm going to take something away it's gone! There's not a 2nd chance, 3rd chance, etc.
Not only that... I found what ended the back talk or not hopping to it when I gave a command/edict was to then let him know if he didn't comply right away the level of reprimand would escalate exponentially. They need to know that this is not a ngeotiation, there is no wiggle room. Again... "I Say, You Do!"

And that concept is also very important, and here's why. If you don't demand immediate compliance, what's gonna happen when that kid is running after that ball down the driveway right into the street? And you're there and you can obviously see a car is coming and he/she can't. If you love your kid, you'll get in the habit of demanding compliance... otherwise... because of your lack of doing that... you'll holler at that kid to stop.. and because you DIDN'T consistently demand compliance... they'll just keep on doing what they are used to getting away with, with that parent, and they'll just keep right on runnin' into that street. No Bueno.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Wait until they hit 17-20 years old ....you'll think you have a Tiger by tail.

icb12

FNG
Good luck.. That could backfire. My 5yo LOVES hot sauce. I caught him around 1am the other morning with the fridge open putting sriracha in a spoon... He obviously got in (minor) trouble for leaving the fridge open while serving himself- but honestly, who among us hasn't had a late night hot sauce craving?? Not much I could do there. Told him to close the fridge and when he's done put the spoon in the dishwasher and go back to bed..

We’ve decided next time he bites his bro he’ll get a small taste of Tobasco, wish us luck… Taking stuff he values away for a few days and explaining why seems to be working. Like everyone we’re winging it, there’s no set rules for every kid just gotta try stuff. Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Reactions: j33