Painting a stock

jt4

WKR
I want to try changing the look of my factory t3x stock but I’m not creative whatsoever and need to visualize things. I want to paint my stock similar to this B&C. I’ve seen a few posts about doing a kuiu type pattern in different colors but how would I make a spiderweb pattern like this? Doesn’t have to be these specific colors.

Any help is appreciated.

c83a503ed508854dcdbb1e27886113a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03mossy

WKR
I’ve done a few stocks like like. Picked up “webbing” spray paint. Think I bought mine at michaels but should be able to find them online. Practice first on a board or something to get the pattern you like. It’s pretty fun to do, kinda shoot above it and let the webbing fall in place.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Perfect I didn’t know this even existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I did my Remington 700 with Sand Tan Krylon then did the web spray. It's easy to do but take your time. I would also recommend practicing on something round instead of a flat surface. I did a 2x4 first and it looked like chit, then did a piece of PVC pipe experimenting on distance from nozzle and got much better results.

If you have the time, let the layers dry for 72 hours between steps. Not coats. Layers. Like do you base layer, then let the stock dry for 3 days, then do the webbing, 3 days, clear coats. Maximizes adhesion of the various layers to the stock and each other.

K-Hill

FNG
Has anyone ever painted a B&C stock ?
What paint did you use and how did it work out . I have multiple cans of Rustoleum camo with primer and clear coat .Hoping it is compatible with the finish on the stock.

I’ve done a few stocks like like. Picked up “webbing” spray paint. Think I bought mine at michaels but should be able to find them online. Practice first on a board or something to get the pattern you like. It’s pretty fun to do, kinda shoot above it and let the webbing fall in place.
I've seen this at Home Depot as well.

03mossy

WKR
It was a black stock then I put a layer of stone texture that was speckled to give the whole stock a grippy feel. Then a layer of black then the sponge colors. And finished with a few coats of matte clear.

Rob5589

WKR
I have painted several with Krylon camo paint then Minwax clear satin. Holds up very well. Good prep is the key. I wipe down with denatured alcohol, light scuff with green Scotchbrite, wipe again with the alcohol, then spray.

Doghed

WKR
I've used Krylon Fusion on some projects. Its probably the best Home Depot/Lowes option. It didn't hold up that well over time even with good surface prep, especially where the cheek weld is. Camo paint jobs on stocks are cool looking and I've seen some really good ones including on this thread, but then a lot of times you still have a big shiny black or stainless barrel hanging out there. Kind of defeats the purpose. Its mostly for the other humans looking at it. The animals don't care, especially the one you are aiming at. I just go for non reflective earth tones.
I have my gunsmith cerakote the action and barrel in one of the E series colors, and I order one of the tactical flat colors from duracoat (can within a can) in a complimenting color (such as FDE with coyote) for the scope, rings, and stock. Good break up, great results, and very durable and affordable. Duracoat is all I use now for DIY.

Rob5589

WKR
I painted my Tikka stock and it ended up looking so bad that the plain black stock looked positively classy by comparison. I lack the skills of some of the painters on this site.
Practice on a large diameter pvc pipe or maybe a 2x4. The nice thing about Krylon, don't like it, denatured alcohol will remove it and you can start over.

brodenh94

FNG
Plus one on the sponge method. You can practice all you want but its going to turn out different than you pictured it. Not necessarily in a bad way though.