Painting a stock

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, so many great ideas here and some awesome looking paint jobs! It is very cool just to see so many different techniques and they all look cool in their own way. I think I am going to have to give it a shot and see what I come up with too.

Loper

WKR
I did a splatter paint scheme on my rifle.

I like the pattern on this Savage UL.

Did you tape off the rubber panels on the grip and forend or did you remove them (assuming you can) and apply them back after everything was painted?

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I like the pattern on this Savage UL.

Did you tape off the rubber panels on the grip and forend or did you remove them (assuming you can) and apply them back after everything was painted?
I taped them, then used a Q-tip dipped in acetone to clean up the edges where needed. I don't think you can remove the rubber panels.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Just completed the new paint job on my new Tikka T3X 7RM. Not a big deal as long as you tape the action, bbl., channel and anything else you do not want paint in or on. The stock must be clean. I wiped everything down with 90% rubbing alcohol. Used Rustoleum Desert Bisque sand texture spray paint. it is recommended to use a Krylon primer prior to final Rustoleum paint. Then, Montana Can company black webbing spray paint. Be very careful to hold webbing paint at least 15-20 inches away from stock when spray in a sweeping motion. Best to try test painting on something to learn technique. I have painted many composite stocks this way and all have held up well. I have added another pic of my Remington 700, 300WSM that was painted using same method. This rifle went to Africa three times, New Zealand and all over North America. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    703.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Is anyone painting wood stocks? Or is this pretty much for synthetics?.

Also has anyone tried plastidip on a stock? To give it an overmold, rubberized texture?
I've done several wood stocks, latest a sponge job on a cz scout.... Do NOT use the plastidip clear spray, it'll start randomly peeling, and then the only way to get the rest off is to rub it....

IMG_E1616.JPG
IMG_1938_(2).JPG

CRJR45

WKR
I did mine last month with the sponge method . It's just a cheap Savage stock , so I figured I'd try it , it looks much better than the pictures show . I took the picture in a low light situation .
IMG_3042.jpgIMG_3040.jpgIMG_3032.jpgIMG_3034.jpg

buffybr

FNG
I've done a half dozen or so with a base paint and Krylon Marbelizing over it.

Make a few practice swipes on cardboard of a piece of lumber to learn the speed to get the Spiderweb that you like.

Here's 2 Weatherby Vanguards in .223 and .308...
Kz4AGBkh.jpg

Another Vanguard in .300 Wby...
yAwrv73h.jpg

And a Rem 700 7 mm RM that I fitted into a Weatherby Griptonite stock...
08wGfWDh.jpg

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a half dozen or so with a base paint and Krylon Marbelizing over it.

Make a few practice swipes on cardboard of a piece of lumber to learn the speed to get the Spiderweb that you like.

Here's 2 Weatherby Vanguards in .223 and .308...
Kz4AGBkh.jpg

Another Vanguard in .300 Wby...
yAwrv73h.jpg

And a Rem 700 7 mm RM that I fitted into a Weatherby Griptonite stock...
08wGfWDh.jpg
Those look awesome

Has anyone painted one, had it not turn out, and then painted over it?
Yes. I did with an AR15 years ago. The coyote brown color I thought I had was really more like baby shit brown. I used MEK to clean most of it off and then used a great sand color for the base

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I did with an AR15 years ago. The coyote brown color I thought I had was really more like baby shit brown. I used MEK to clean most of it off and then used a great sand color for the base
Thank you. I'm guessing that would work for a polymer stock as well. I might give it a try.

Duh

WKR
IMG_7074.jpeg
Here’s a Howa 1500 in a XLR chassis. Just a Krylon base coat of tan and sponge job all around. No clear coat but it’s held up very well for the past two years. IMG_7076.jpeg

Tikka 22-250 with just a web spray and wrap on the barrel. No clear coat and I can’t get this webbing to rub off. Very surprised how well it’s held up.
IMG_7077.jpegIMG_7078.jpeg

Here’s a Ruger 22lr. This one has a clear coat and has stayed the “newest” looking so far.

I’m going to do my Seekins when it warms up and do a full tan with some designs. I’m definitely going to spray every one of my guns from here on out.