Painting Kimber Montana Stock

Trekker

FNG
Has anyone had lasting paint durability after painting there kimber montana stock. Id like to paint mine but am concerned that the paint will chip away after a season or two of mountain hunting. If you've had success , curious what paint / process you used. Thanks.

You’re not going to find anything that’s going to be permanent, and that goes for anything DIY or professional. I’ve used Krylon paint (a 6pk. of various camo colors), and it’s been pretty durable, but still requires touching up periodically. I’m sure that the professional dips, cerakote, etc. are more durable, but still not permanent and definitely more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trekker

Trekker

FNG
You’re not going to find anything that’s going to be permanent, and that goes for anything DIY or professional. I’ve used Krylon paint (a 6pk. of various camo colors), and it’s been pretty durable, but still requires touching up periodically. I’m sure that the professional dips, cerakote, etc. are more durable, but still not permanent and definitely more expensive.

Yeah figured it wouldn't be perfect and would need touch ups every so often. Just want to use the best paint and process from the start to get the best results.

I haven't done any of my Kimbers, although my Mountain Ascent sure could stand to be redone. I have done a Tikka T3 Lite stock, and I started by just cleaning it up really good with Acetone, then shot it with a primer and then, using homemade stensils, painted it with different camo colors. It's nothing special but it turned out ok, and it's easily touched up if it starts to come off.

Here’s a pic. It’s supposed to blend in more with mountain terrain rather than the moose woods/swamps, but oh well.
e42ddf59a41ff3512617ae75f075b51c.jpg

RBHunter

WKR
I have cerakoted a few rifles like that. Hold up nicely. Better than the other things I have tried.

I had a Kimber MT (.338 Fed) done with just whitish specs over the stock Kimber gray. Boy, it looks good to my eyes. Not sure what the local gunsmith used. The rifle is my camp gun for fly-ins, the meat packing protection (my buddies and I bowhunt BC) gun, the truck gun for bear hunts, and the loaner for friends or relatives that join me and want to gun hunt but not fly their rifle. That said the stock speckling is showing a bit of wear wear it was carried in a Kifaru gunbearer about 20 days on various moose and caribou trips.

I haven’t done a Kimber but did a savage model 11, browning a bolt and a Winchester 22.

I used a disk sander to really rough up the stocks the. Degreased with brake cleaner or acetone. I used a mixture of krylon and rustoleum. I use them interchangeably depending on what color scheme I want. I coated each with a double clear coat and they are all holding up well going on 3 plus years.

Terrapin

WKR
I used to paint all of my coyote rifles using epoxy based appliance spray paint. There are limited colors, but it is extremely durable and resistant to just about all solvents.

Rowdy

FNG
I don't get fancy with my paint jobs and never have painted the full stock but the balance point where I carry my rifle and the pistol grip get a crude paint job with wing walk paint. It's very durable and when it's cold out and my hands are dry it works well to keep the rifle from slipping in my hands. When it wears off I apply more.

I have a semi-ridiculous question to bring this back to life.

Has anyone ever seen a really well done faux wood paint job? I’m considering getting my Montana painted to an exhibition grade English/French walnut look. I have given up on trying to find a classic select I like enough to buy as the nice ones are $$$. A custom stock is both $$$ and would make it a fair amount heavier.

prm

WKR
I have a semi-ridiculous question to bring this back to life.

Has anyone ever seen a really well done faux wood paint job? I’m considering getting my Montana painted to an exhibition grade English/French walnut look. I have given up on trying to find a classic select I like enough to buy as the nice ones are $$$. A custom stock is both $$$ and would make it a fair amount heavier.

Perhaps a wood grain hydro dip? You could add a semi-gloss or gloss coat to get the desired level of shine.

These guys did a T3X stock in a Kuiu Vias pattern and I am very happy with their work.