Painting stocks with Brownell's Alumahyde II

TauPhi111

WKR
I just stocked up with 6 different colors of Brownell's Alumahyde II paint to paint up some rifle stocks. The paint seems awesome but reviews are pretty mixed. Seems that if it works well it is about the best thing you can do yourself next to cerakote. On the other hand, it seems a lot of people have trouble with the cans clogging.

It seems to get them to work well, you have to A) make sure the cans are pretty warm, and B) shake the hell out of them, and then shake them some more. I plan to use my sous vide to get the cans as warm as i can while still being able to handle them. Anyone have any other tips for working with this paint?

Also, tell me about your methods for painting patterns. Do you like stencils? Sponges? Let me see your paint jobs and explain how you did what you did.

Thanks!

16Bore

WKR
Maybe see if you can find extra nozzles. I painted a trigger group on an 870, that stuff is tough.

I just got done painting the crappy Remington metal finish on my kids 11-87 shotgun. That stuff is great and very tough, I would compare it to ceracoat with a slightly dryer and duller finish. I didn’t pre-warm anything, I fact it was probably colder than recommended, so I wouldn’t get too worried about that. Once painted I hung the parts behind my wood stove for a week to cure. They turned out great. I have used the can 4 times so far and cleaned the nozzle out after each use with no clogging problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk