Painting synthetic stock

I traded a few years ago for a stainless savage axis in 25-06. Great deer gun, I've modified it some to shoot better. Handloads, floated the barrel, trigger spring coils cut, and laid some fiberglass in the hollow forend to stiffen it up. I realize its polishing a turd, but I like a gun I don't have to worry about scratching or dropping.

I decided to paint the stock. Asat was the plan, bought the tan, brown and black and a clear coat sealant. My issue is the base coat peels up when I peel off the stencil tape for my dark brown overlay. I gave the base coat a day to dry. Is there a plastic primer I don't know about? I wiped everything down good with mineral spirits before starting.

Did you rough it up a little bit before painting? Those stocks are super slick. I always lightly sand with a high grit if it's a slick plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
When I say stencil I just covered it in blue tape and used a razor to cut out my pattern. When I peeled the tape it pulled my base coat up in places. I found a good primer and I've got some sandpaper but it's going to suck stripping all the base coat off.

TheJuice

WKR
I've had good luck with Krylon Fusion for a base on a synthetic Tikka stock. I used to auto body for a living. Your peeling problem could have been caused by the mineral spirits. It's an oil based solvent. I would use acetone the next time around.
d0db6f25c2fb02020843bbfc27f10416.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Krylon camo/outdoors camo paint has been super durable for me on a painted axis stock, their primer too!

Mike.

WoodBow

WKR
I can't help you too much with the pain adhesion issue but I will encourage you to consider hydro dipping it in asat yourself. At the very least, you wont have stencil tape pulling up your base coat. I recently dipped my bow in asat and it is not difficult. There is a short learning curve but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. I am considering doing my rifle stock as well. You should be able to do it for less than $40. I bought my supplies off ebay. Asat film is widely available.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Is it the factory plastic stock?
Used to paint bumper covers and the plastic requires special attention to get paint to stick.
Use auto body cleaner/degreaser to wash it down, then spray with adhesion promoter before painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help you too much with the pain adhesion issue but I will encourage you to consider hydro dipping it in asat yourself. At the very least, you wont have stencil tape pulling up your base coat. I recently dipped my bow in asat and it is not difficult. There is a short learning curve but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. I am considering doing my rifle stock as well. You should be able to do it for less than $40. I bought my supplies off ebay. Asat film is widely available.

I have dipped several stocks, bow risers, and other parts. Its a great process as stated in Woodbows post. How ever if your paint isn't sticking right now, neither will the hydro films. You have a contaminated surface. You said you roughed it up, but didn't say with what.
On my stocks I used scotch pad with lots of rubbing until the entire sheen was gone. I then wiped it with alcohol as it dries quickly and I rubbed it again then final wiped with thinner (mineral spirits works too).

The a light tack coat of primer. Then another light coat.
When they say it dries in 15 minutes they are deceiving you. The surface might dry that fast, but it still gassing out under what you feel on the outside layer.
Most paints actually take a day or two to full gas out

Be patient, use lighter coats of both primer and paint after a thorough sanding and proper cleaning. Remember a lot of stocks have tons of oils and solvents soaked into them.

Hydro dipping is by far the easiest and best looking way to go. A lot of google info on this for "do it your self" type jobs - which gun stocks certainly fall into.

OP
A
The diy hydro kits I saw on ebay seemed to be in the $60 range. More than I wanna spend plus I have $25 in spray paint now. I rubbed the old paint off with acetone, scuffed thoroughly with 220 grit then hit with another wipe down of acetone. Then I used a bonding primer, two light coats, then two light coats of the tan base coat. I'm going to let it sit for a couple days before messing with it again.

Yep that sounds about right
But the end result is great
Paint can be nice too

Letting it dry longer seems like the right thing to do

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else have any DIY pics? I've wanted to do one to my rifle but the fear of screwing it up beyond repair has kept me from trying.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else have any DIY pics? I've wanted to do one to my rifle but the fear of screwing it up beyond repair has kept me from trying.

Here was my first attempt...

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 175

GKPrice

Banned
RESTORE-X "firmfoot" Slip Resistant Epoxy Spray w/ grit spray paint - every stock I own and all my friends' and boys' stocks are paint with it

Never a problem ....

Some of these werer done with the cheap kit, but I agree get good activator and professional film

The diy kits certainly work but the activator is hard to keep uniform
7192c3f82d99c9c2924d3fd0e74f62f3.jpg
08f90aed7924654c98f69afa01bdb5ab.jpg
368a76f240b5f30c7988841f839cc702.jpg

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
What would be a good activator for hydro-dipping. I was gonna paint the stock on my t3x but you guys have me thinking I could dip it instead. I'd love to so one in multicam. Do you still put a sealer on top when you're done?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk