Painting Tikka T3x stock

K-Hill

FNG
What steps are people using to prep the factory stocks to accept the paint . Don't want to put the effert in only to have it peel off .
What paint are you using ?
Thanks for all your help .

Rob5589

WKR
Wipe down with denatured alcohol. Light wope down with green scotchbrite pad. Wipe again with alcohol. Spray with Krylon camo paint. Couple coats of Minwax satin clear. Done. It holds up really well if prepped.

Wipe down with denatured alcohol. Light wope down with green scotchbrite pad. Wipe again with alcohol. Spray with Krylon camo paint. Couple coats of Minwax satin clear. Done. It holds up really well if prepped.

Pretty much exactly what I do, except I use krylon clear matte. Then the next day I do 2 more light coats I’d clear coat and call it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the above. Spray paint won’t last for ever but it is easy enough to touch up.

Krylon is fine, however, I have had better luck with areveo on carbines and other gear.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Also agree. If you want to camo it use some Walmart art brushes and just dip the sponge and roll on the stock. Turns out great.

Attachments

• 769F2D98-8F9D-4DB1-B67C-FB144BD7504A.png
    769F2D98-8F9D-4DB1-B67C-FB144BD7504A.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 112

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Krylon here too, and if it scrapes off it'll cost you about $5 to do it all over again in a new flavor.

OP
K

K-Hill

FNG
Is there any special primer that could be applied to help in the paint sticking ?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I used Hunters Specialty camo paint for the base coat and it is more durable than krypton. When I freshened the paint on the barrel I could clean off the krylon with brake cleaner but the HS was much harder to remove. (I didn’t have a clear coat on it.). You’re overthinking this because it’s pretty hard to screw up and if you do, just do it over again.

Here's one I did last year and it is holding up nice. I like the feel and texture it has.