Pan head or ball head?

I'm looking into tripods and looking for some information on the differences between a pan head and ball head and which would be better for glassing mostly with binos. Thanks in advance!

tdot

WKR
I know alot of people will prefer panheads, but over the last year, I've sold all my panheads and I've converted to ball heads with an integrated pan function. This I feel is the best of both worlds. I am able to pan horizontally and keep the optics level, but I have complete freedom of movement, if I want, with the ball function.

I find the ball heads generally smaller, lighter and stronger (for a given weight). My lightest panhead is only a few ounces, and it can hold a BTX/95, though that is certainly pushing it.

The two biggest negatives that I've found is that they lack the arm to control the optics movement, instead I wrap my hand around the mounting plate.... in some ways this is more comfortable, but generally less control. But with Bino's I set the pan so that I can move the binos with my nose.

The other negative is definitely when you fully loosen the ball, they are floppy. But this is mitigated with practice. I've also had optics that weren't balanced well flop forward with a panhead, but its generally less of a hassle.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was using a Sirui ball head with my spotter. You can easily do horizontal while keeping the ball tight, and on my Sirui it has very minor clicks to adjust the tension for however you want it. I sold my tripod recently and forgot I still had the ball head. Let me know if you might be interested in it. It's in perfect condition, Sirui K-10x with thread adapter, $100.

drew_235

FNG
I know alot of people will prefer panheads, but over the last year, I've sold all my panheads and I've converted to ball heads with an integrated pan function. This I feel is the best of both worlds. I am able to pan horizontally and keep the optics level, but I have complete freedom of movement, if I want, with the ball function.

I find the ball heads generally smaller, lighter and stronger (for a given weight). My lightest panhead is only a few ounces, and it can hold a BTX/95, though that is certainly pushing it.

The two biggest negatives that I've found is that they lack the arm to control the optics movement, instead I wrap my hand around the mounting plate.... in some ways this is more comfortable, but generally less control. But with Bino's I set the pan so that I can move the binos with my nose.

The other negative is definitely when you fully loosen the ball, they are floppy. But this is mitigated with practice. I've also had optics that weren't balanced well flop forward with a panhead, but its generally less of a hassle.

First time poster....
Anyway, I'm glad I found this post because I have a ball head with an integrated pan function and have been researching a panhead or leveling base for my spotting scope. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the ballhead seems like an accident waiting to happen with the loosening of the wrong nut/lever at the wrong time, making your optic (or whatever) flop over. It's quite possible that I'm totally over thinking this.

tdot

WKR
First time poster....
Anyway, I'm glad I found this post because I have a ball head with an integrated pan function and have been researching a panhead or leveling base for my spotting scope. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the ballhead seems like an accident waiting to happen with the loosening of the wrong nut/lever at the wrong time, making your optic (or whatever) flop over. It's quite possible that I'm totally over thinking this.

Welcome to Rokslide.

From my experience a panhead will flop over as well, if you loosen the vertical adjustment too much. So on each unit, their is one adjustment that could cause the optic to flop over.

Panhead will likely have a control arm, so if you are holding that it wont flop. I just hold the optic instead.

A ball head could also flop to the side.

Honestly, its just a little practice and I dont find it a big deal anymore.

Also a balance plate will help. Any optic that is too front or rear heavy will flop over.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m solidly in the ballhead camp, but I use mine for photography, spotter and binos.

The model I have allows you to rotate the ball shaft to a 90-degree position and I mount my spotter and heaviest camera lens this way, so they’re stable instead of perched “on top” of the ball.

90f4140b691c1c34c5840124853b24ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
I’m solidly in the ballhead camp, but I use mine for photography, spotter and binos.

The model I have allows you to rotate the ball shaft to a 90-degree position and I mount my spotter and heaviest camera lens this way, so they’re stable instead of perched “on top” of the ball.

90f4140b691c1c34c5840124853b24ae.jpg

Awesome!!!! Thanks for that idea! I'll be trying that.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome!!!! Thanks for that idea! I'll be trying that.

Full disclosure, my ballhead is an Acratech Nomad. It’s high-dollar, but worth every penny if you use it a lot. It has special design features (patented I think) that support using it this way. With the friction adjusted correctly the motion is glass smooth, which is perfect for glassing, and the horizontal shaft position is perfectly square to the rotational axis of the base.

I’ve used my lesser ballheads this way too (Sirui, etc). The principle still works, but it isn’t nearly as nice to use as the purpose-built Acratech.

rideold

WKR
I don't like to carry more weight than I have to so I use a ball head.....then I found out my tripod (Slik CF635) is actually designed to pan.....could have bought a cheaper ball head I guess :)

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly for me, I'm not sure I care for the ball head. The biggest reason I see to use one is if you also shoot off the tripod. Then you can adjust any direction to level your rifle with a hard connection.

Making your optics level is easy depending on your bino mount. Most post style mounts allow the binos to "cant" on the connection to allow you to make them level. If not then you just level it up when you set up. Spotting scopes don't have to be leveled - it's one eye and a round sight picture.....Low_Sky 's method for the spotter is the best I have found for a ball head.

I feel like controlling just 2 axis is easier and more precise on the pan head. The ball head can go anywhere if you tweak wrong.

Right now I'm going pan head, with a "table" I can put on top with a small bag to shoot from.

Just my 2cents...