Panasonic zs200 vs canon sx70 vs other

Wodez

FNG
With my limited camera knowledge I have been trying to research cameras and have stumbled on these 2.
The zs200 being a compact with a 1” sensor and 15x optical zoom
The sx70 being a larger bridge/super zoom camera with a small 1/2.3” sensor and 65x optical zoom.

I read on another forum that if I use the zs200 with its larger sensor and use it 15x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom (giving me 60x zoom) the photo quality would be very similar to the sx70 at 60x.
The theory was that even if I stretch/crop the zs200 using the 4x digital zoom it wouldnt matter because the sensor is roughly 4 times the size of the sx70 sensor.
But when I had a quick look at them in store it wasn’t the case. I zoomed at multiple ranges with both cameras. It seemed obvious that the sx70 was better.
Even having both cameras at 15x optical, marking all things equal, the sx70 looked better, which didn’t make any sense to me. I wonder if I was doing something wrong.
The zs200 did seem to take a very long time to focus. Not sure if there is a focus button or a manual focus that might have been quicker and might have got a better result in quality.

I completely understand that with everything else being equal the optical zoom is the best and digital zoom not great and pixelates the photo. I just thought with the larger sensor you would be able to get away with I bit of cropping.
Anyone want to shed some light on the theory of cropping a photo from a compact 1” sensor vs small sensor and optical zoom?

Or anyone got another camera I should consider.
I will be using it mainly for bow hunting, spot and stalk and occasionally rifle hunting out to 500 yards. All in dense mountainous country.
Ideally something that will fit in my pocket to save scrambling with a zipped carry bag or backpack to get the camera out.
Not really interested in a dslr. Too big, heavy and complicated for me. Or a p900 or p1000 = Too big
Ideally a good photo at 15x zoom and a decent photo at about 40x. 60x would be a bonus but rarely needed. Which I thought the zs200 would have been fine
Cheers

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
It would be helpful to know your budget and wants/needs/desires. Video or photos or both? How far away? Everything in life has tradeoffs and cameras are probably an area where that is even more the case. It is very expensive and requires bigger glass to get zoom on a larger sensor. It is easier on a smaller sensor but they typically do not provide the quality and offer poor low light performance. Larger sensors typically offer a more shallow depth of field where smaller sensors can not provide the same. The trade off with that is the smaller sensor will keep everything in focus easier but does not provide the capability to have the more "cinematic" look.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
It would be helpful to know your budget and wants/needs/desires. Video or photos or both? How far away? Everything in life has tradeoffs and cameras are probably an area where that is even more the case. It is very expensive and requires bigger glass to get zoom on a larger sensor. It is easier on a smaller sensor but they typically do not provide the quality and offer poor low light performance. Larger sensors typically offer a more shallow depth of field where smaller sensors can not provide the same. The trade off with that is the smaller sensor will keep everything in focus easier but does not provide the capability to have the more "cinematic" look.

Budget is flexible but mainly been looking around $800.
Both photos and videos
There’s a bit of an idea on what I will use it for In the last paragraph of the original post

FURMAN

WKR
There are almost countless options so these are difficult to help with. If it were me with that budget I would look at a cheaper micro 4/3s camera body with a 300mm lens which would essentially make it a 600mm 35mm equivalent. The ZS200 is going to be pretty limiting and the xs70 is not much if any better than a iPhone with a tines up or phone skope adaptor on a spotter for image quality. The size would be its only advantage.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Canon SX60 with a 65X and a Nikon P900 with a 85x superzoom. Both take pretty amazing photos and video. I often use the photos and video for scouting, field judging, and wildlife footage. The quality of photos and video from these 2 cameras are and a heck of a lot better and easier to use than Iphone on my Swarovski spotter. I did a side-by-side comparisons while bighorn sheep scouting a few years ago. The Iphone photos/video are smaller and a lot grainier when zoomed in at 65x. There really is no comparison in quality.....the ultra-zoom photos and video are much better!

I've been using and abusing my SX60 for around 15 years with 0 problems. It's a super dependable camera. I've had my P900 for around 2 years. It is a little bulkier. There are sometimes in low light the SX60 has actually performed a bit better than the P900. The P900 has an amazing anti-shake built in. There are sometimes it's also been nice being able to zoom the 85x.

Obviously both of these cameras aren't waterproof. I often carry mine in a waterproof dry bag which works great for keeping moisture and dust off. Believe me, I'm around a lot of wind/rain/snow and am super careful. The SX60 is a little bit tougher construction than the P900. I use a sturdy tripod and window mount for both cameras. I have quick release brackets on each so it's quick and easy to get them on and off tripod/window mounts. Quick releases are also nice to exchange between camera and spotter.

I'm not sure the difference between the SX60 and SX70. The SX60 has worked extremely well for me. If you can find one on Ebay or elsewhere it would be a great camera. I actually use mine for viewing game camera photos while in the field. On another note, I have a tiny panasoic camcorder that I've also had great luck with that fits in a front jacket pocket.

FURMAN

WKR
As with regular hunting optics like scopes and spotting scopes the glass quality and clarity is very subjective. I would never tell anyone else that they are wrong but I have had those cameras and I find my phone scope footage just as good if not better in most lighting conditions. I sold those cameras I won’t own another bridge camera. If I were going to consider a bridge camera it be the new Sony RX 10 mark IV. I will add that my expectations are most likely higher than yours as I have moved to full frame Sony cameras with a 200 to 600 mm lens.

The reality is if you use the digital zoom feature on any point and shoot with a 1" sensor or smaller the images will look grainy and if you crop that it will be awful.
Any point and shoot, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, will blow away ANY cell phone for still images. Period!!! I have been in the camera business for 40 years so this comes from experience. When Canon starts shipping point and shoots again the SX740 is a nice compact camera with a long zoom.
The best in the class is above your price point, the Sony RX100 Mark 7. Perhaps you can find a used one. I can hook you up on a new one but it will be about $400 more then you want to spend.
The suggestion to go micro 4/3 is excellent but bigger then you want to go. Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to give me a call with any questions you may have

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
The reality is if you use the digital zoom feature on any point and shoot with a 1" sensor or smaller the images will look grainy and if you crop that it will be awful.
Any point and shoot, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, will blow away ANY cell phone for still images. Period!!! I have been in the camera business for 40 years so this comes from experience. When Canon starts shipping point and shoots again the SX740 is a nice compact camera with a long zoom.
The best in the class is above your price point, the Sony RX100 Mark 7. Perhaps you can find a used one. I can hook you up on a new one but it will be about $400 more then you want to spend.
The suggestion to go micro 4/3 is excellent but bigger then you want to go. Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to give me a call with any questions you may have
Cheers
I was starting to consider the compact cameras with a smaller sensor but better optical zoom.
If that’s your recommendation then I’ll have to go have a look.

FURMAN

WKR
Regardless of the image quality of the camera you are not going to get good footage with a 200mm lens at 500 yards. Even if you have the most amazing image you will not be able to see your subject. Everything is a trade off. Some new phones have larger sensors than some of the point and shoots that actually provide a zoom I would consider usable. In any case neither will provide the image quality of a larger sensor with a proper lens. The cost will dictate the quality for the most part. A call to Joel would probably be easier than figuring it out in text. He is very helpful and obviously very knowledgable.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Been shopping for way too long in that price range...but the Panasonic hc-vx1 might be your best bet for the size, budget, stabilization quality that you can get for that price. Camcorders aren't very popular but tough to beat the zoom and size combo. Biggest downside I've heard is Panasonics customer service isn't the best.