Pandemic related purchases

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I might start to panic when my bacon supply gets down to under 20lbs. Because then I'll need to try to find someone to stand in line to buy it for me. I don't do lines.......unless I'm first in line.

Shrek

WKR
Don’t forget the condoms ! Nine months after every hurricane here in Florida there’s a mini baby boom. I’ll bet there will be more babies born in nine months than will die from the Wuhan 400.

Trial153

WKR
I ordered this like 18 months ago..... color suits the times. Who knew.
dd5625a5cd2c163167d3695daafcccd0.jpg

Tagalong

FNG
Don’t forget the condoms ! Nine months after every hurricane here in Florida there’s a mini baby boom. I’ll bet there will be more babies born in nine months than will die from the Wuhan 400.

Hadn't thought of this but it makes perfect sense.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Although there should not be panic, many people cannot understand statistics. Based on the fact that the average person with flu infects 6-9 other people and with this disease the average person infects 45 it is a lot more contagious. With the current death rate many will die unless it is contained. So hunkering down so the health system is not overwhelmed is important. I manage a Division of nearly 200 people of all ages. Based on current data, if my work population were hit, five of my people wont make it. I have elderly parents and in-laws. If any of them get it, none of them will probably make it. So while bravado sounds good on the internet, understanding the data and doing the right things is a better approach. If me staying home for a couple of weeks saves any of them, then I'm OK with that. The panic buying comes from people not understanding our supply chain and being able to reasonably draw conclusions ahead of time, then the tough guys and the unprepared are oh shit at the end. The way our supply chain is now, we are always only 2 weeks away from hungry (yes I know people on this board are better than that because they hunt). Most of us have not lived through times of shortage and don't know how to act. Before the 1900's that was a way of life. If you are a father and provider your job is to protect your family and ensure they are taken care of. If you want to demean that with the title of "Prepper", so be it. I won't be seeing you in the TP line anyway.

Can you link me to where you found the R0 for Coronavirus is 45? Everything I have found shows between 2 and 2.5. Thanks!

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, 2-2.5. There have been reports of large numbers from one person but that’s an outlier.
e8550c5f6598fe81e7a0498f4aca7d02.jpg
Yeah, I was just curious to see if he/she actually had any data to back that up or if he/she was just trying to fearmonger. A lot of that going on in this forum and its starting to get a bit annoying to say the least.

Don't get me wrong I think we should be taking all of the precautions that we can. If we don't this will get worse. However, the fear mongering on here (and everywhere for that matter) is just childish.

Trial153

WKR
Sure shows how fragile things really are.

Silver been dropping, looks like it may hit $10 an ounce......

And there been a huge run cash orders for withdrawals. I guess some came to the conclusion that spot prices don’t mean much when you might be trading for goods and services.

And there been a huge run cash orders for withdrawals. I guess some came to the conclusion that spot prices don’t mean much when you might be trading for goods and services.

More likely investors dumping their gold investments at 5 year highs to buy into the stock market at this crash.

Trial153

WKR
More likely investors dumping their gold investments at 5 year highs to buy into the stock market at this crash.

agree. However I am looking Something totally different. There are reports of bank orders for physical cash. In other words....filling out the IRS form and walking out the door of the bank with ....what ever 10k, 20k, 50k ect.. in cash.