Pant with waterproof seat and knees

brocksw

WKR
Anything new out there for pants with waterproof seat and knees? I already own the Sitka timberlines but the waterproofing didn't last long on the seat and knees and they're expensive to replace.

I'm familiar with some marmot pants but I don't believe the seat and knees are actually waterproof just "reinforced".

Also looking at the haglofs but I've heard they're noisy so I'll likely buy them and allocate them to rifle hunting.

Anything quiet and similar to the timberlines from a non-hunting brand that's a little more affordable?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kuiu Axis pants are the same price as timberlines. No clue how the timberline waterproof is achieved but the axis is like a rain jacket or pant material between face fabrics

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Kuiu Axis pants are the same price as timberlines. No clue how the timberline waterproof is achieved but the axis is like a rain jacket or pant material between face fabrics
Thanks. But that's the same price as the timberline. Not worth it unless the waterproofing lasts significantly longer.

Kostrize

WKR
The Haglofs are noisy.

The Axis have received great reviews on here so far. They’re pretty new, so doubt guys have more than one season on them, but it uses the same Dermizax NX as their rain gear which has been bomber for me

This is one very specific type of clothing where I doubt you’re going to get more performance relative to cost from mountaineering brands. The Axis were just on sale for 195, maybe they will be again this season

Poser

WKR
Thanks. But that's the same price as the timberline. Not worth it unless the waterproofing lasts significantly longer.

When you say the waterproofing “doesn’t last long”, do you mean that the fabric soaks through too quickly when using them or do you mean that the DWR worked great for a limited number of uses and then stopped working so well?

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
The waterproof seat was useless in less than a season. I'd sit on wet ground and my ass was wet like any other pant.

Poser

WKR
The waterproof seat was useless in less than a season. I'd sit on wet ground and my ass was wet like any other pant.

Did you try retreating it? You’ll never get it as resistant as a factory DWR, but, with regular Nikwax or similar treatments, it tends to be sufficient. I snowboard in a pair of Timberlines and seldom have problems with a wet butt with the exception of Spring conditions when it’s really wet. I retreat 2-3 times a year. A little spray on treatment on top of the wash-in treatment helps a bit as well though the spray on treatment by itself is not so great

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I have had terrible luck with DWR whether it is wash in or spray on. I've tried different brands ranging from Nikwax to stuff I can't remember and it all pretty much sucks. I have the Kuiu Axis Hybrid and I like the pants. I wish they would just put some plastic in the butt and knees. My understanding is that the dirty little secret on these "breathable" waterproof fabrics like Goretex and Dermizax etc is that you can push water through the fabric with 25lbs of pressure. My guess is that the axis hybrid would be better than something treated w DWR but frankly I still bring a butt pad even when I wear my arcteryx hardshell goretex rainpants.

Reactions: REB

Chuck44

FNG
I have had terrible luck with DWR whether it is wash in or spray on. I've tried different brands ranging from Nikwax to stuff I can't remember and it all pretty much sucks. I have the Kuiu Axis Hybrid and I like the pants. I wish they would just put some plastic in the butt and knees. My understanding is that the dirty little secret on these "breathable" waterproof fabrics like Goretex and Dermizax etc is that you can push water through the fabric with 25lbs of pressure. My guess is that the axis hybrid would be better than something treated w DWR but frankly I still bring a butt pad even when I wear my arcteryx hardshell goretex rainpants.
Yep...with sufficient pressure (brush busting, sitting, kneeling) and time, all breathable membranes will let water through.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I sat on wet ground at the end of the first season I had them and I had a wet ass nearly instantly. It wasn't a puddle, just wet grass and saturated earth.

*zap*

WKR
Arcteryx knee cap protectors and cut a butt pad from some reflectix. I cut floors for my winter camp tents from reflectix. R value is 3. You can also make insoles for your winter shoes from it, works well since most boots have no insulation below your foot.....adds 10+ degrees of warmth. Reflectix can be used for many things to make cold more bearable.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of using what clothing you have but taking a small chair or impermeable membrane. That way you aren’t out a considerable amount of money and the weight/bulk factor is minimal. Even a glassing pad would work well for this application.

Do the waterproof panels make you sweat more? I have the alpine pants and unless I have a thin base layer on my knees sweat so I would imagine it would be similar? I would like a pair with the waterproof seat because even kneeling down the heels of my boots will get snow or mud on my pants sometimes and make them wet.

Tuscaoka

WKR
Fjallraveven Keb trousers. Seat and knees treatable w wax. Keep em waxed to keep em waterproof. The rest of the pant is stretchy soft shell material. Built in gaiter hook. Pretty cool design. Also have hip vents. Not cheap but I did find em on sale last spring.

Chuck44

FNG
I really like the design and construction of the Keb trousers but I find their size steps to be too large. Their 50 fits like a US 34 and their 52 is supposed to be like a US 36....but I found it to be more like a 37. I am closer to a 35 and could not make either work.

Felix40

WKR
Something I did on a pair of kuiu pants that actually works pretty good is to mix up silicone and mineral spirits like seam sealer. Paint that on the butt in a couple coats. It makes the fabric darker but I dont worry too much about how stuff looks. Its not breathable but on such a small area it doesnt bother me. It takes a long time for that to wash out

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Something I did on a pair of kuiu pants that actually works pretty good is to mix up silicone and mineral spirits like seam sealer. Paint that on the butt in a couple coats. It makes the fabric darker but I dont worry too much about how stuff looks. Its not breathable but on such a small area it doesnt bother me. It takes a long time for that to wash out
That's a pretty cool idea. Can you elaborate on or estimate the "recipe". Are you saying you took seam sealer and watered it down with mineral spirits and then painted it on? It seams (no pun intended) like seam sealer is already watered down enough. When you said "seam sealer" did you mean "aqua seal?"

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx knee cap protectors and cut a butt pad from some reflectix. I cut floors for my winter camp tents from reflectix. R value is 3. You can also make insoles for your winter shoes from it, works well since most boots have no insulation below your foot.....adds 10+ degrees of warmth. Reflectix can be used for many things to make cold more bearable.

Cool idea on the refletix for the floor of a tent. I assume you just buy a roll of the widest stuff along with a roll of the refletix tape and then cut to suit? Do you put yours under the tent as a footprint or inside? I'm not really familiar with reflectix but I don't assume it is very heavy either and it would add a little padding. Does it end up being too bulky to backpack with?