Pants and Gaitors for higher altitude snow

I'm headed up to around 8000ft for deer in a week. Forest Service estimates around 6-10 inches of snow. I haven't hunted in snow too much. I'm pondering what type of material pants I should be looking to have on me? Also, should I be looking to invest in gaitors? My boots are excellent and I have a backup pair of 800g boots if my feet get too cold.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely bring gaiters. Outdoor Research makes a top notch model. Water resistant pants or the old standby wool will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in snow (from 6" of wet stuff to well over 12" of dry) with FL Corrugate Guide pants over a lightweight merino base, and Outdoor Vision gators. That setup worked great for me. I love wool, but when I'm active and makinf a lot of heat I prefer the lightweight, breathable, and fast drying materials for my outer layer. I had waterproof pants with me, but didn't end up using them at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Outdoor research Expedition Crocodile gaiters.
Far as pants I just wear my regular breathable ones. But that's because i sweat everything put anyways.

Far as water proof and quite rivers west.
But if I'm doing alot of up hill i sweat those out too

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
I was just in snow (from 6" of wet stuff to well over 12" of dry) with FL Corrugate Guide pants over a lightweight merino base, and Outdoor Vision gators. That setup worked great for me. I love wool, but when I'm active and makinf a lot of heat I prefer the lightweight, breathable, and fast drying materials for my outer layer. I had waterproof pants with me, but didn't end up using them at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I sort feel like I will have the same issue with heavy wool, I have an FL merino top and I was thinking of buying those same pants this summer but spent the money on other gear. Right now all I have are 2 pairs of polyester pants.

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
Outdoor research Expedition Crocodile gaiters.
Far as pants I just wear my regular breathable ones. But that's because i sweat everything put anyways.

Far as water proof and quite rivers west.
But if I'm doing alot of up hill i sweat those out too

what kind of material are you using for breathable pants?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just came back from a backpack hunt. We hunted from 8000 to 10000 feet. It was very cold and snowy. I wore the Kryptek Bora pants and I needed more. I would take the Sitka Timberline pants or Kuiu Talus pants next time.
a45835f664611628eab93b0a6ea19c40.jpg

eda2000207dbf716756452bc73a5a37c.jpg

Last edited:
what kind of material are you using for breathable pants?

Nylon =sitka ascent, fl corrugate, wrangler outdoor.
I have some core 4 pants kinda like the timberline that I like. Kuiu attacks are a little heavier.
I dont have any timberlines but I bet I will in next couple yrs.
I really sweat alot. So base my advice on that.
I have puff pants now that I haven't tried yet.
But on my last late hunt I carried a pair of fleece bibs to glass in.

OP
Dustin the wind
I just came back from a backpack hunt. We hunted from 8000 to 10000 feet. It was very cold and snowy. I wore the Kryptek Bora pants and I needed more. I would take the Sitka Timberline pants or Kuiu Talus pants next time.
a45835f664611628eab93b0a6ea19c40.jpg

eda2000207dbf716756452bc73a5a37c.jpg

Thanks, what kind of temps were you guys dealing with?

Or crocs are great gaiters. Bombproof but heavy, $$$ and a bit loud with the cordura patches.

Kuiu Yukon or Sitka thunderhead gaiters are great options.

Honestly a pair of $30 nylon ones would probably do fine.

Or crocs are great gaiters. Bombproof but heavy, $$$ and a bit loud with the cordura patches.

Kuiu Yukon or Sitka thunderhead gaiters are great options.

Honestly a pair of $30 nylon ones would probably do fine.

I got my Expedition Crocodile gaiters on Amazon for $75

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Oh and I REALLY like the Kryptek Altitude Gaiters. I am not a fan of gaiters at all but theses babies are light and I really don't know I have them on. I feel like ******* Frankenstein with most other gaiters.

wildcat33

WKR
I would run kuiu Yukon pants, OR gaiters, and insulated boots if there was 10” of snow. Could be deep in the trees. Insulated under the pants as needed.

Can always peel the gaiters off if not needed. They annoy me so I avoid as much as possible.

Last edited:
OP
Dustin the wind
Oh and I REALLY like the Kryptek Altitude Gaiters. I am not a fan of gaiters at all but theses babies are light and I really don't know I have them on. I feel like ******* Frankenstein with most other gaiters.

Thanks for the pointers! looks like I'll be making a trip to Sportsman's tomorrow to check out Kryptek and Sitka gear. No time for shipping or I would possibly go FL or Kuiu.

Thank you everyone for the prompt and helpful advice!

hikenhunt

WKR
I was just in 6-10" of snow at high elevation this last weekend. I had waterproof boots, OR croc gaitors, and the Sitka ascent pants for hiking around. I didn't have to sit and glass much on this trip, but I would definitely do some sort of puffy pant if I needed to sit for a while.