Pants for November Elk Hunt

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help here if anyone is willing. I am going on a mid November rifle Elk hunt in Eastern Oregon for 7 days. I usually always run Kuiu attack pants, and if cold I’ll throw on a base layer. I want to bring another pant. I was thinking getting another pair of attacks or looking at the guide or talus. Just not sure of the weather, could be warm, could be snowy, real cold, etc.. I also have the Chugach rain pants for rain. I like to stick with Kuiu if possible but may consider something else. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadler

WKR
The axis are legit. I’ve used them the past couple years for December elk hunts in AZ and November/December hunts in north idaho. If you pair those with a base layer I think you’ll be good to go. Or just get puffy pants if you think it’ll get really cold

I've been running the talus hybrids in late season. Water resistant, can vent well for when your hiking. Haven't had them in extreme wind yet. Very happy with the fit and feel. I always wear a base layer with them though because the inside of the knee pad feels weird on my knees, only complaint 🤣

BluMtn

WKR
KUIU Guides or Axis or Kryptek Cadog or Vellus. I wear these when I head to Montana the last of Nov. and if it is really cold below 0 I wear Cabelas Wooltimate.

406unltd

WKR
Kryptek Alaios
Sitka mtn pant
Sitka timberline

all good options with the timberline being the warmest of the three. Alaios use to be the only pant I wore all bow and rifle season here in western montana

I'd skip the guides I love my axis pants.. I'd go axis or talus plus chugach for packable rain gear. If you are in a very high likelihood of rain area, get the yukons and wear them over your other pants all day.

I know it won’t help you this November, but my plan for November elk hunt in Montana this year is as follows:
Base layers, attack and axis pants, cloudburst rain pants, super down pro puffy pants.
I got the cloudburst big enough to fit over all but even without the puffy layer the cloudbursts are not too bulky.

I will report back how this system works
And what the weather was like, etc...

novcie870

WKR
I love my axis pants for October rifle elk - late season cow elk in November here in Idaho. The side zips help cool down while hiking then zip up when glassing. They are my all time favorite cool-cold weather pants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in the guide pants unless there is rain if all snow they are very good for late seasons this week living in the guides🤙

Attachments

• B1B01955-E60C-4B12-BCAE-6DAF48A31E4B.jpeg
    B1B01955-E60C-4B12-BCAE-6DAF48A31E4B.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Eddie Bauer lined guide pants. Performed awesome in the frigid temps in Montana. Could not be happier with the comfort and warmth without overheating. Water resistance is on point also.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well we've had a proper (and then some) November deer/elk season in Montana (and it's not over!)- several one foot+ dumps of snow, bitter cold (and wind)

I got to recently try out a pair of Sitka Timberline's; color me impressed.

I have a pair of their Ascents (actually two pairs as I'm using one for daily wear) and really liked them, but wanted a pair of pants for late season and decided to give the Timberline's a go. I went an extra inch in the waist as I knew I'd be wearing decently heavy base layers with these pants- and that was the right choice. The suspenders are really nice and have some new age sticky stuff so they don't slip down your shoulders.

The fabric is pretty heavy, but not overly. They move with you well and getting over/under blowdown was no problem. They aren't waterproof, but highly water resistant. Yet the breath much (much) better than full on waterproof fabrics. I removed the kneed pads, didn't see a need, but I do like the fabric in the knees and seat- which is waterproof.

I love the roomy cargo pockets and these have a bonus of an additional zipped pocket on each. I do wish that on one side the zipped pocket was on the interior side, thinking it would be nice for my phone and the battery would last longer closer to my thigh.

The Timberline's have been a very worthwhile investment for me :)

Wrench

WKR
I tried the bora pants and aside from slightly noisier....they're AMAZING.