Pants for those who don’t skip leg day

Ironman8

WKR
Alright guys, pants are the bane of my existence for the 1-2 times per year (or every other year) that I actually shop for clothes.

I’m 5’8, ~200# (probably will be around 190# by elk season) and usually fit 32-33 size waist in most pants. 30-32” inseam. Since this isn’t a dating site, I won’t even go into describing my butt, but it’s proportional to my thighs to say the least.

IF I can even find something that can fit, then it’s usually a compromise between thigh fit and waist/butt fit. And it’s usually the waist that gets the short end of the stick where I end up with 2”+ of extra fabric bunching up under my belt.

So stretchy pants have become a must! But I also don’t want yoga pants with cargo pockets. “Athletic fit” usually means “skinny fit” for me, so looking for something considered more “baggy” I guess.

So what are my options from the guys in the know?

Looking for something with these features:
- Stretchy
- Lighter fabric for moderate elk season temps
- Durable
- Solid color preferred (brown or OD even better)
- Cargo pockets that can actually hold sh*t
- Does NOT need to be a name brand hunting brand pant, fine if it is though
- Under $200 if possible. Brownie points if you suggest something cheaper

Poser

WKR
Kuhl. I own a dozen + pairs. Articulated knees and multi panels around the quads. They are generally designed for athletes with proportionally larger quads.

Duluth pants complete seize up on my quads and Glutes and are very boxy in shape. I have several pairs and almost never wear them for the above reason with the exception of a flannel lines pair I’ll wear on the coldest days, but bending over in them is a task.

TheCougar

WKR
Dude, I feel you. I’ve been through the pain. Two options for you:

1. Prana Zion Convertible pants (not the regular). I’m 6’0” 190 with big thighs and a butt and these fit great. A little baggy, but very comfortable, well built, and exceptionally durable. You can find them as low as $60, but typical sale price is $75-85. You can also try the regular Zions (not the skinny version), but they were too tight on on my legs in the same size. Pockets are a nice size.

Eddie Bauer Guides: thinner and lighter than the Zions. Thigh and seat are more generous than the normal Zions (but tighter than the convertibles). Stitching sucks. You’ll have the pockets, crotch, and knee stitching start to unravel immediately. They are double-stitched, so they won’t fail, but it’s common knowledge that the EB stitching blows. The waist is not true to size. The waist runs 1-2” larger than the label. Also cheaper. You can get them for $50 pretty easily and if you shop around (outlets or a Costco), you can find them as low as $35. They also make a fleece lined version. Cargo pockets are small.
FWIW, I’ve tried REI, Kuhl, Wrangler (any all the brands in between) and they were all too tight. Never tied the KUIU, Sitka, or FL. Stone Glacier were super heavy, noisy, and wicked expensive.

coyyota

WKR
Alright guys, pants are the bane of my existence for the 1-2 times per year (or every other year) that I actually shop for clothes.

I’m 5’8, ~200# (probably will be around 190# by elk season) and usually fit 32-33 size waist in most pants. 30-32” inseam. Since this isn’t a dating site, I won’t even go into describing my butt, but it’s proportional to my thighs to say the least.

IF I can even find something that can fit, then it’s usually a compromise between thigh fit and waist/butt fit. And it’s usually the waist that gets the short end of the stick where I end up with 2”+ of extra fabric bunching up under my belt.

So stretchy pants have become a must! But I also don’t want yoga pants with cargo pockets. “Athletic fit” usually means “skinny fit” for me, so looking for something considered more “baggy” I guess.

So what are my options from the guys in the know?

Looking for something with these features:
- Stretchy
- Lighter fabric for moderate elk season temps
- Durable
- Solid color preferred (brown or OD even better)
- Cargo pockets that can actually hold sh*t
- Does NOT need to be a name brand hunting brand pant, fine if it is though
- Under $200 if possible. Brownie points if you suggest something cheaper
Stone Glacier de Havilland lite might hit all of your criteria. Take a look, if you have any questions be happy to tell you my thoughts on them.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Duluth Trading

Was just about to suggest these, another vote for Duluth ballroom jeans. So you can crouch without singing soprano.

So I’ve actually used the Duluth DOTF stretch pants for a couple years now and while they do fit fine, they aren’t very durable IMO. I walked around all last season with a big gash on one of the knees from catching a limb on a deadfall. Not the end of the world but I want to see what else is out there before buying another pair.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Kuhl. I own a dozen + pairs. Articulated knees and multi panels around the quads. They are generally designed for athletes with proportionally larger quads.

Duluth pants complete seize up on my quads and Glutes and are very boxy in shape. I have several pairs and almost never wear them for the above reason with the exception of a flannel lines pair I’ll wear on the coldest days, but bending over in them is a task.

agree on the Duluth sizing and shape. Although I don’t know that the seize up on my legs any more than any other pants.

As far as Kuhl, it looks like the Silencr Cargo pant is the option that checks the boxes. Is this what you’re recommending? A little put off by the “tapered leg” description though.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Stone Glacier de Havilland lite might hit all of your criteria. Take a look, if you have any questions be happy to tell you my thoughts on them.
I just recently came across these in my search and they do look good. Do they fit loose? Are they a different fit than the regular version? There was a review on the regular version that I dug up here on Rokslide that some guys were saying it was an “athletic fit” and kind of snug.

Any thoughts on them are welcome bro.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
Dude, I feel you. I’ve been through the pain. Two options for you:

1. Prana Zion Convertible pants (not the regular). I’m 6’0” 190 with big thighs and a butt and these fit great. A little baggy, but very comfortable, well built, and exceptionally durable. You can find them as low as $60, but typical sale price is $75-85. You can also try the regular Zions (not the skinny version), but they were too tight on on my legs in the same size. Pockets are a nice size.

Eddie Bauer Guides: thinner and lighter than the Zions. Thigh and seat are more generous than the normal Zions (but tighter than the convertibles). Stitching sucks. You’ll have the pockets, crotch, and knee stitching start to unravel immediately. They are double-stitched, so they won’t fail, but it’s common knowledge that the EB stitching blows. The waist is not true to size. The waist runs 1-2” larger than the label. Also cheaper. You can get them for $50 pretty easily and if you shop around (outlets or a Costco), you can find them as low as $35. They also make a fleece lined version. Cargo pockets are small.
FWIW, I’ve tried REI, Kuhl, Wrangler (any all the brands in between) and they were all too tight. Never tied the KUIU, Sitka, or FL. Stone Glacier were super heavy, noisy, and wicked expensive.
Thanks bud, I’ll look into these. I want to say I tried the EB guides at one point but didn’t like the fit. Or it may have been the small cargo pockets. I may go back and take a look.

No experience with Prana but I’ll check the local REI to see if they have them. I don’t know if I’m a fan of convertibles. Have you had any issues at all with the zipper chafing legs and whatnot? It may be a mental thing but I’ve just always shied away from convertible pants.

Poser

WKR
agree on the Duluth sizing and shape. Although I don’t know that the seize up on my legs any more than any other pants.

As far as Kuhl, it looks like the Silencr Cargo pant is the option that checks the boxes. Is this what you’re recommending? A little put off by the “tapered leg” description though.

Huhl has several different cuts. I personally like the tapered fit myself and don’t have any issue with them. You might try the Renegades, though as they are cut in the “Klassik” fit which is a little more roomy.

I am part of the husky crowd.

I end up sizing up the waist in prana zions, Sitka and kuiu to get ass and thigh room.

I have had good luck lately with first light, obsidians and corrugates. both currently have elastic waist bands and the obsidians feel like pajamas. I just picked up their corrugate fondry pants. Some cool features but no elastic waist band. I wear a 38 but 40 gave me room in the seat and thighs. Haven’t worn them yet but very impressed so far.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
Thanks bud, I’ll look into these. I want to say I tried the EB guides at one point but didn’t like the fit. Or it may have been the small cargo pockets. I may go back and take a look.

No experience with Prana but I’ll check the local REI to see if they have them. I don’t know if I’m a fan of convertibles. Have you had any issues at all with the zipper chafing legs and whatnot? It may be a mental thing but I’ve just always shied away from convertible pants.
I have about a dozen pairs of the zions to some extent for the reasons you're describing in the OP. I also don't like convertibles. Just go with the regular zion. It has the single cargo pocket on the left leg which I kind of wish it didn't. The bryon pant is the same material but runs a bit skinnier and has no cargo pockets. The fabric is thicker than just about any other brand for this type of pant. I pretty much wear them daily in the Spring to fall up here, since cotton kills, and are my go to pant for hunting(top layer over them if weather dictates).

Size up on the Prana Zion’s and you’ll be good.

I have similar bodily features and have tried Kuhl Renegades, Eddie Bower pro guides, cabelas microtex, Zion’s, and Kuiu attacks.

Microtex are very underrated and provide a lot of room. I don’t know if the newer versions are comparable as mine are 5 or 6 years old. Zion’s are comfortable, roomy, and durable.

I prefer the closer fit of the attacks for September elk, but Zion’s are my backup pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this problem my whole life I'm the same weight and height as you also, the absolute most comfortable pant I have worn is the kuiu attacks. I usually wear holes in the crouch of denim and cheaper synthetics pants from my hamstrings touching as I walk, my attacks show no wear at all and dont chafe me either. My quads are huge so are my glutes and yes any pant that fits my waist is in turn tight on my thighs, however, the attacks are comfortably tight and dont bunch up etc.

TheCougar

WKR

No issue with the convertible chaffing. I was also concerned about it, but no issues. I agree with the small pockets on the EB.

I don't skip leg day.

For synthetics, Prana Zion and crank down on the built in belt. Or size up Kuiu and get the waist tailored.
The real problem is jeans.

coyyota

WKR
I just recently came across these in my search and they do look good. Do they fit loose? Are they a different fit than the regular version? There was a review on the regular version that I dug up here on Rokslide that some guys were saying it was an “athletic fit” and kind of snug.

Any thoughts on them are welcome bro.
I don’t have the regular de havilland to compare them with. I do have a couple pair of stretch zions, which I like too, and in comparison to those the de havilland lites are more roomy... to me. I would not call them loose fitting though. Also for reference I’m a 34 in just about everything, except Kuiu which Ive had to go 36 with to fit legs/ass. So generally I don’t fit well in skinny jean/athletic fit pants.

As far as the other criteria you listed I think the de havilland lites check those boxes. The material stretches/moves well and allows for great range of motion. So far for me that have been durable. The material is not dead quite, but they have broken in and are now actually pretty quite. I‘m a fan of side zips for venting. The hip pockets are good sized and the cargo pockets are nicely sized too, and the left one has two smaller pockets inside. Also have rear pocket. Solid color, it’s almost like a sage green. $150-$160 I think, still a lot for pair of pants, but under your number.

They‘re worth considering. All the other pants the guys have listed here are solid too though.