Pants help?

Agross

WKR
Ok , I’m sure a lot of these have been discussed separately, but I’m trying to streamline this. I’m not very familiar with any of these . I’m looking for a pant that is warmer than my kanabs and corrugates, but I have really warm pants for all day sits already. I’m looking for something in between. Something that I can use if somewhat active, or sitting when it’s chilly. Doesn’t necessarily have to be 100 percent windproof or waterproof but as I mentioned I’m covered on lighter pants. I have come up with a list and would love to hear opinions, good bad or indifferent. Temperatures could b anywhere from 20 to 45 degrees from sitting to walking. I have mainly first lite but am not set on that. I know there may be a lot of different opinions and personal preference but that’s what I’m here for. As I mentioned I’m not familiar with these.

1 first lite catalyst. ( I have the jacket and like it )
2 Sitka equinox and stratus. ( not familiar with these at all)
3 kuiu guides and axis. ( not familiar with at all )

Bump79

WKR
Have you considered just combining your lighter pants with something like the FL zip off base layer?
Seconded. This is the way to go in my opinion, way more versatile. I run Corrugate Foundry Pants now with the waterproof seat, knees. Add zip off bottoms and gaiters as needed and I'm set for all but the coldest hunts.

The zip offs are nice but really you can just pull your pants down a little and zip them off. I run this in Montana and whitetail in Kentucky every year.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Yeh I’ve thought of that , and done that, although just regular bases not zip offs. Was more hoping to avoid a base layer sometimes whether walking or sitting if possible. Appreciate the replies.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check the Timberlines (Sitka)- waterproof seat/knees, very water/wind resistant for the main fabric. Definitely not an early season pant, but a very good mid-late season pant. I simply adjust my base layer with this pant- lighter in cool weather, heavier in cold weather.

It's almost bombproof in it's construction and the built in suspenders should be standard on ALL hunting pants imho.

Fry

FNG
I have Kuiu guides, they are fleece lined. Not heavy or bulky, but warm. I wore them hiking-scouting recently in temps around 20 and had to open the vents when active. This was without thermals. However, i wouldnt sit long in them without thermals if the temps are below 40. They are way too hot to be active above 40.

I agree running lighter pants with thermals. i own two pairs of hunting pants: kuiu guide and kuiu katana and have the the first lite 250 and 350 wool layers. It cover me from 80 degrees to 20-30 degrees here in Virginia.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you wanting to stick with camo/ hunting brands? Lots of pants out there that hit that 20-45deg range that come in solids. Fjallraven, Montane, Mountain Equipment etc etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
Pnuma Waypoint would fit the bill.
Zip off thermals are the better option though. Between those and zip off insulated pants, you’re set for anything but the most extreme scenarios.

Seeknelk

WKR
Is this for whitetail stand hunting or what? Just curious cuz for that I prefer absolutely silent stuff like wool or fleece pants if it's chilly. Base layer as needed.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
It would be for some stand hunting here in Michigan, as well as an upcoming rifle elk hunt this year in sw Montana, and hopefully more elk hunts in the future. A couple of those listed, I read were very quiet, but again I have no experience with them other than a catalyst jacket. . I guess now my question is, if these are too warm for hiking, and not warm enough for sitting, what are people using them for?

jd1006

WKR
The downside to Sitka is there’s no ability to vent or easily access baselayers. I think the Catalyst Foundry Pants would be ideal for what you are describing, and like others mention above, zip-off baselayers are a no brained (as well as zip off puffy pants that you could put under the Catalyst Foundry for stand hunting and glassing.

Equinox have a waterproof seat and are made with the same fabric as the timberlines. They aren't fleeced or backed like the catalyst and you'll definitely need base and possibly puffy layers under them for colder temps sitting. Awesome for active cold hunting and very durable.

Stratus are great for sitting but not for active, they don't breath the best but are amazing with the wind. Very fleeced inside and out.

Catalyst might be a nice compromise. They for sure don't block the wind for shit. they are fleece backed and warmer, and breathe well for active cold hunts.

You'd likely need multi layers for any of these options.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
The Equinox sound nice, but I use milsurp ACU pants. They have lots of pockets, dry quickly, cut the wind, and cost less than $20 compared with $200 for the Equinox. If I'm going to sit I put down an ass pad so I'm not too concerned with having a waterproof butt built into my pants. Not saying the Equinox are not great, but $200 seems way too much for a pair of polyester pants. I guess at my age I just don't care about the latest fashion trends.

Lowg08

WKR
Equinox have a waterproof seat and are made with the same fabric as the timberlines. They aren't fleeced or backed like the catalyst and you'll definitely need base and possibly puffy layers under them for colder temps sitting. Awesome for active cold hunting and very durable.

Stratus are great for sitting but not for active, they don't breath the best but are amazing with the wind. Very fleeced inside and out.

Catalyst might be a nice compromise. They for sure don't block the wind for shit. they are fleece backed and warmer, and breathe well for active cold hunts.

You'd likely need multi layers for any of these options.
I must have missed something the equinox I had were not waterproof in the seat or knees. The stratus is too much to walk in period. The timberlines are great but no vents and the waterproof seat and knees are more resistant than proof. The catalyst foundry may be your choice. It’s backed with fleece but not fully. I have not been able to soak through the seat or knees. I had the axis, guides and attack. Also bought and returned the SG M7. They would be ideal if your not bow hunting. You can really do allot with the catalyst foundry. I’ve hike in 3 miles. Added zip off layers and puffy pants and sat in 12-18 degrees.