Pants, pants, and more pants (what do I actually need?)

Hi all,

So I'm making the shift from truck camping / day hunting (archery in September) and will be going on a September archery elk hunt backpack style this year. I need some guidance about the stuff that covers my legs.

I'm trying to figure out what I need in terms of pants. For the record, my legs tend to run very hot. Kuiu attack pants feel like a sauna in September (even with the fart vents open) so I've been using either the FL Obsidian or the Prana Zion pants as my go to. Usually in the mornings I'm hustling to make it to a glassing spot, so my legs have yet to feel cold.

Onto my questions:
1. Are dedicated rain pants really necessary? It seems like all the storms here in CO fizzle out after 15 minutes, so by the time I dig out my pants, the rain is gone.
2. Does anyone use insulated/puffy pants in September? I figured that if I'm glassing and my legs get cold, I can always pull out my quilt.
3. Does anyone use rain pants as "dual use"? I know they're not strictly insulated, but one way rain pants could find their way into my pack is if I can also use them in the mornings to keep my legs warmer (i.e., by breaking up the wind, etc.).

Appreciate the advice. I'm trying to be prepared without necessarily packing in an entire closet's worth of stuff.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used rain pants exactly once during archery season in CO, and have never used insulated pants during September. For packing in, I take the pair I'm wearing and that's it for pants. But I also always wear my lightweight merino base bottoms under them as well. Those are mostly for sweat management, but also provide a little bit of comfort when the temps drop and I wear them for bed too.

I only take rain pants if I'm planning on having to hunt in them. If I'm only planning on passing storms or a wind break for glassing I just thro up my tarp. Only takes a few minutes.
I have it w me anyway.
20190520_135044.jpg

rm06

WKR
I wear FL Obsidian for September archery, they have worked out well for me so far, the breathability can't be beat. Even though the fit is improved, it still isn't great. I've used my rain pants a handful of times though, busting through several hundred yards of dew covered mahogany and just when you think that 15 minutes of ferocious rain is going to let up... they're nice to have if you can't find any workable cover or you still want to be on the move.

And hunting in September can mean 60* degree temp swings, you never know what you're going to get.

I usually bring gaiters if I backpack in. It's nice to have rain pants if the weather sucks though. I've froze my ass off a few times when the rain was more like snow. Last year, around the Labor Day storm I hunted all day in my Yukons and was happy to have them.

Puffy pants aren't something I own.

Maki35

WKR
I only where rain pants when I'm hunting in the rain. I don't wear them for "dual use" as you indicated.
I don't wear insulated/puffy pants in Sept. too warm for my preference.