Pants/shirts for hot archery season. Any thing new out there?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Sitka Ascent pants and the lightweight hoodie and I like both but I'd like to have a different set for hot weather early season hunts. The temps I encounter can run as high as 90 and the humidity makes the heat index close to 100 on some occasions.

Hoping for a long sleeve button up thin synthetic short and similar pants. I'd prefer camo but earth tones will work. Needs to be fairly quite.

I appreciate any suggestions. Any new stuff out there?

n8saki

FNG
Sitka Ascent Quick Dry Shirt - sun protection and super breathable. Running the same pants as you for hot weather. Haven’t found anything lighter and as quiet.

KyleR1985

WKR

If you can find these, they’re really light.

Black Ovis pants are usually a good deal. I have 2 pair of the midweights and a pair of the cotton creek light weights. They are a bit noisy however.

Side note: Cabelas/BP has a line of lightweight, breathable shirts for $20. Not sure how long they will hold up but that’s what I train in (80-95 degree weather and 80-95% humidity). The website says they have 4MOST odor treatment, but it is actually polygiene. Same stuff as Sitka and Patagonia. I go 4-5 workouts before washing my shirt, and I am soaked with sweat after each workout.

KyleR1985

WKR
I like the lightweight synthetics for fishing or an afternoon hunt or exercise. But if I’m in 90/90 + weather, and don’t have access to a washing machine for each time I sweat, I’ll Take the lightest merino gear I can get. Synthetics flat out stink if you sweat multiple times and it’s allowed to dry or stay in the clothes overnight. Doesn’t matter if they’re treated.

I had the ascent shirt. Didn’t care for it. If didn’t breath and the fabric felt weird. Like you I use a core lightweight hoody aNd ascent pants. Apex pants are an option I am trying this year. Apex hoody was warm for me. Sitka have some lightweight stuff in the whitetail line too. Equinox I think is what it is called.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Gulch Gear has a line of lightweight and ultralight pants and shirts, made here in the states. Only thing that isn't Berry compliant on them is the Toray fabric they use in some of their pieces is imported from Japan. Same stuff that Kuiu uses. They have a 125 weight, and a 149 weight option. Reasonable prices and they also show you exactly how much each piece cost them to make. Pretty cool concept. The owner of the company is here on Rokslide as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was wrong, their shirts are made with 112wt and 133wt Polartec, they do have some pieces made with Toray fabric though. They had it all on sale a while back, I should have ordered then lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
The First lite Wick has been my favorite top for hot weather. I like the hoody and will use the hood to keep the sun off me even when its 80+.

Haven't found a pant I love yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brk007

FNG
I had an older pair of Sitka Ascent pants and upgraded to their current version last year - much lighter fabric. I like this version a lot better, cooler and dries faster. For top layer, I love the FirstLite Wick Quarter Zip.

xziang

WKR
Pants I will stick with my Kuiu Attack pant just because I'm cheap and have had them for years. I do like merino t shirt of some sort and then a sitka zip up long sleeve for that is unzipped a lot. I like the size vents in the attack pants. I have also used my Kuhl 'convertible' pants too which are nice but I have yet to use them as shorts due to brush. Above tree line and or fishing I could see using them as shorts though.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've worn the Sitka ESW shirt and pants for two seasons. They've been great, except that the fabric can attract burrs.

Oso

FNG
Fjallraven makes some incredibly light long sleeve merino shirts. They breathe well and dry quick. Not button up or camo, but they do come in some earth tones.