Pants suggestions/experience

Rodéo

WKR
Hey there folks, I'm in the market for a hunting pant that has reinforced knees and seat, preferably ripstop or another durable and waterproof material in those areas. Look to use it mostly for turkey hunting as I find myself on the wet ground a lot during that time and am looking for something to make it a little more bearable in the presence of all those sharp plants/weeds on the ground in the areas I hunt.
I've used the FL obsidians and corrugates and they're both great but leave something to be desired in terms of durability/water protection.
I'm open to Kuiu, FL and sitka.
Was thinking of the timberline from sitka or the talus from kuiu but was concerned that they may be too warm for the areas and time of year I hunt (northern ca in spring can go from raining in the 30's to 90+ degrees in no time).
Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions or experience with the pants I mentioned above or another that you think might fit the bill for what I'm looking for.

I don't think you're going to get everything you want in one pant. I love my timberlines and they fit part of your bid but I would die trying to wear them in the heat.

Timberlines are good but they are going to be warm on the high end of your temps. Mountain pants have knee pads but no waterproofing there or on the butt.

Kuiu has a new pro pant with knee pads built in as well.

Beendare

WKR
I have the older models of Kuiu version with the built in kneepads...and the Sitka version with the kneepad inserts. Neither have waterproof seat.

My take; I don't like either version as much as their other pants. That knee section is an annoying rub. I just took the inserts out of the Sitkas- great heavier weight pant.

If I want kneepads, [mule deer and Coues deer type hunts] I slide them on over my pants.

I can see where there are times when a waterproof seat would be nice....but then it will breathe less- a tradeoff you want to consider. I sweat backpacking the Mountains like a fat man at a July 4th picnic...I want the breathability. I typically carry a section of that waffle foam when I'm going to be stopping and glassing.

Last edited:
Yeah no experience with timberline's but with the talus pants I've had a good climb in 50° weather with pack on. With vents open was still sweating in my legs, and I Never sweat in my legs haha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Love my Timberlines and can wear them when it’s warm, but NOT when it’s “hot”. 90’s is HOT. I think for the most part the pant your looking for is going to work to 70ish. After that you’re gonna be hot in anything with “protection”...

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Easy solution. You just gotta buy two pairs. No one pant is going to be great for every situation. If I could only buy one pair of pants the rest of my life. It would actually be the Equinox pants from Sitka's whitetail line. They're actually my most versatile. The mesh pockets instead of felt pockets make them much better in warm weather. And they do perfectly fine in cold weather if you're active and wearing a base layer. I have the timberlines, mountains, ascents, the old style ascent, and the equinox. No one pant is my favorite. It just depends on the weather and situation.

In your case, I'd want the timberline pants until it gets up into the 60's. The good thing about the Ascent is that even though there's not waterproof material or reinforced areas, they're so thin that they can dry out real fast after they get wet. Personally though, if I was getting rained on all the time in Northern California, I'd buy a pair of rain pants first and just wear them when it's cool enough. The Thunderheads from sitka are gore tex but still quiet if noise bothers you. Then you could get the ascents or whatever other lightweight pants to wear underneath and when it gets hot.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Yeah no experience with timberline's but with the talus pants I've had a good climb in 50° weather with pack on. With vents open was still sweating in my legs, and I Never sweat in my legs haha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yikes... I was leaning towards the talus but I'm reconsidering after this

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Thanks for you guys' input on the timberlines. I think they'd run too warm for my application. Leaning towards two pants now but my rain pants get torn up when hunting in the areas I hunt with a lot of thorn and brush so that's a no go.
Does anyone have experience with the temp ratings they's be comfortable wearing the kuiu guide pants?
Easy solution. You just gotta buy two pairs. No one pant is going to be great for every situation. If I could only buy one pair of pants the rest of my life. It would actually be the Equinox pants from Sitka's whitetail line. They're actually my most versatile. The mesh pockets instead of felt pockets make them much better in warm weather. And they do perfectly fine in cold weather if you're active and wearing a base layer. I have the timberlines, mountains, ascents, the old style ascent, and the equinox. No one pant is my favorite. It just depends on the weather and situation.

In your case, I'd want the timberline pants until it gets up into the 60's. The good thing about the Ascent is that even though there's not waterproof material or reinforced areas, they're so thin that they can dry out real fast after they get wet. Personally though, if I was getting rained on all the time in Northern California, I'd buy a pair of rain pants first and just wear them when it's cool enough. The Thunderheads from sitka are gore tex but still quiet if noise bothers you. Then you could get the ascents or whatever other lightweight pants to wear underneath and when it gets hot.
Thank you for your detailed response!
How's the durability on the equinox pant?

BluMtn

WKR
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into this... How's the durability?

They are built real well, that is why I recommend them because the noncamo side that sits on the ground has a tough material that when placed on top of prickley pear thistles will not tear it. That is another reason I really like to sit on it. And the longer you sit on it the warmer your rearend gets, even down around 0.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for you guys' input on the timberlines. I think they'd run too warm for my application. Leaning towards two pants now but my rain pants get torn up when hunting in the areas I hunt with a lot of thorn and brush so that's a no go.
Does anyone have experience with the temp ratings they's be comfortable wearing the kuiu guide pants?

Thank you for your detailed response!
How's the durability on the equinox pant?

It's been good for me in Western PA where I beat the crap out of them for about a year before changing to the big game line. They do get little snags when they get caught on thorns and stuff. Just like a little thread sticks out but I've yet to rip them. Got them stuck in a piece of barbed wire one time and thought for sure there would be a hole by the time I got them out, they just stretched and then looked normal after getting them unstuck. Some other guys I know have said they aren't durable enough for them. But I think they're biggest gripe is those little threads that stick out after running through jaggers. But for me, it hasn't affected the function of the pants whatsoever. They just kinda look like they've been through the ringer lol. They're not made to be as durable as the mountain or Timberline but in my experience they are.