Paper tune bad, bareshafts shoot great

bigburr

FNG
So I got a new v3x. 75lbs, 29.5" draw. I had a pile of victory vap tko 300 spines laying around so I made some up with 95gr inserts and 125gr points. They paper tune like crap. Consistent nock high tear about 1". So I put in 70lb mods and they tuned great in paper and bareshafts shot great with a little tweaking to 30 yards. Figured the spine was weak. Fast forward a week and I ordered some Sirius orion's in a 250 to try and get to tune with same inserts/point combination. Decided to not run them though. But with the 75lb mods back in I shot some of the victory bareshafts and they fly great. But still paper tune nock high. Rest is at 13/16" center shot and about 3/32 down from level. I'm assuming it still has a weak spine but should I just run the victory's? They shoot great. Haven't put broadheads on yet but I'm confident they'll shoot fine as well. Any help is appreciated.

OP
bigburr

bigburr

FNG
Yeah I thought it could be vane contact as well. So I trimmed the vanes down (aae max stealth), same result. The rest is a hamskea epsilon. Seems to work fine. I'm not a bow guru though so I might be wrong. I figured I'd better shoot a few broadheads while I was thinking about this and they shoot within an inch of a field point at 30 yards over 3 tries. That's about as good as I good shoot in the cold. I'll shoot them at distance when it warms up and confirm.

OP
bigburr

bigburr

FNG
Bow is timed, ata is within spec, brace height is dead on. It shot bullets through paper with 70 pound mods in before I bareshaft tuned. Now with bareshafts stacking on field points, it tears nock high with both mods. Just wondering if this is a big deal I guess.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
For me, tuning through paper is only a starting point. After I paper tune I shoot bareshafts and fletched until they hit together. Then shoot field points and broad heads until they hit together. Also, some bows need to be nock high to get field points to hit with broad heads. If it was me I would start broad head tuning.

quibton

FNG
I would try nock tuning the arrows while shooting through paper as another option. Those bows are generally pretty forgiving of spine, so if it's consistently shooting a nock high tear with all other options exhausted, I would stiffen up that arrow by shortening, running lighter components, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
For me, tuning through paper is only a starting point. After I paper tune I shoot bareshafts and fletched until they hit together. Then shoot field points and broad heads until they hit together. Also, some bows need to be nock high to get field points to hit with broad heads. If it was me I would start broad head tuning.
I agree on the broadhead tuning. That will be the true test. My experience is a slightly weak spine will cause issues with a broadhead.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Is your rest dropping fast enough to not contact vanes? Put a little paint or marker on the vanes or on the rest and see it it gets wiped of after shooting.

OR Archer

WKR
I will bet your broadheads will be low versus your field points. I would guess your bare shaft are nock high of your field points as well even though your points are the same.

Bow is timed, ata is within spec, brace height is dead on. It shot bullets through paper with 70 pound mods in before I bareshaft tuned. Now with bareshafts stacking on field points, it tears nock high with both mods. Just wondering if this is a big deal I guess.
As others have said, I’d call it good and move onto broadheads. Literally all of my bows that I’ve started with a bullet hole through paper(both bareshaft and fletched) have ended up needing adjustment when it came to broadheads. I’m sure if I go back and shoot through paper it’ll be tearing in one direction or another.

Paper is only the beginning. Let it go and tune for broadheads at this point.

I don’t care about paper tuning. I’ve had bows that shot bullet holes in paper but weren’t tuned when it came to broadheads and field points.

I’ve also had bows that were tuned and shot lights out but had a slight tear thru paper

Now days I don’t even paper tune. I just go right to bareshaft tuning. And the make sure my broadheads and field points hit together.

OP
bigburr

bigburr

FNG
Thanks for the help fellas. I went back to my 70 pound mods and have bareshafts grouping with field points at 50. Maybe the 75 pound mods are just too much for my dainty arms. Not worth the speed gain and headache in any case. A 520gr arrow with 19% foc going 275 will kill elk all day. Plus it's quieter with the 70lb. Thanks again.