Paper tuning irregularities

Zac

WKR
I have been getting perfect bullet holes at my house with my new Ventum 33. Yet at the range I seemed to develop a horrible left tear. What I discovered is that the thicker cardboard material I was shooting through at my house was mimicking perfect holes. When I switched to printer paper I saw the same left tear. I was able to swap the shims around and get a perfect hole. However I thought I should share this. Anyone have any idea on why different mediums would produce different tears?

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Resistance/ way too stiff (the material being shot through)? When you say cardboard do you mean card stock (like cereal boxes are made of) or poster board ? I've only ever used paper. The arrow needs to pass through with minimum resistance.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Resistance/ way too stiff (the material being shot through)? When you say cardboard do you mean card stock (like cereal boxes are made of) or poster board ? I've only ever used paper. The arrow needs to pass through with minimum resistance.
I would say cereal box would be about right. I guess the stiff material somehow straightened the shaft out 🤷

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I would say cereal box would be about right. I guess the stiff material somehow straightened the shaft out 🤷
That's my guess. I've used Christmas wrapping paper, office paper, and wax paper. My tuning frame at work uses a big roll of paper, similar to wax paper. Very slight tears show up.

Reactions: Zac
I use the brown paper too. However I don't quite trust paper tuning entirely. I've shot through paper, fletched and unfletched, then shot a broadhead and had an arrow be 4'' low and 12'' right. At this point I'll do it once where I see it is close, then go bareshaft at 20-35 yards and micro tune from there. Then screw on a big fixed blade and finish up.

I use the brown paper too. However I don't quite trust paper tuning entirely. I've shot through paper, fletched and unfletched, then shot a broadhead and had an arrow be 4'' low and 12'' right. At this point I'll do it once where I see it is close, then go bareshaft at 20-35 yards and micro tune from there. Then screw on a big fixed blade and finish up.
Middle hole is an arrow I shot Thursday. Friday I received my 3 blade cutthroats and at 20 it was 12'' 5 o clock from the fletched arrow.

Attachments

• PAper tune.jpg
    PAper tune.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 20
I have had the same experience. I started paper tuning with broadheads this winter just to try it, seemed to work well. But I’m still a believer on tuning with the actual broadhead on and not just bare shaft or paper.

OR Archer

WKR
Shooting broadheads through paper is pointless in my opinion. The broadheads going to rip the paper to much to really see what the fletched end is doing clearly. Tune the bow first with field points. Sight it in then compare a field tip to your broadhead poi at multiple distances then make corrections.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Shooting broadheads through paper is pointless in my opinion. The broadheads going to rip the paper to much to really see what the fletched end is doing clearly. Tune the bow first with field points. Sight it in then compare a field tip to your broadhead poi at multiple distances then make corrections.
I've shot them through paper with lipstick on the vanes. Not sure how well it worked. Corey on the bow shop bible had a video on it. I use to bareshaft tune with a broadhead on for a while. This works great once your dialed, however I've also blown up some shafts.